Normal or Ranked Games?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Toastmasterd

09-04-2012

Hello all. Recently, I've broken through what I'd define as a major skill barrier in my LoL gameplay. What this means is I'm finally beginning to understand the core concepts of the game, and it's starting to show in all of my games. My win rate has been around 80% recently, and I want to get matched up with more competitive opponents.

But my issue is I don't know whether or not to join Ranked or Normal games. From what the internet can tell me, they both have an ELO rating system (with the Normal being hidden). So in general, they should be basically similar? What concerns me the most is the difference between player attitudes between the two. Is it worth it to play with more relaxed players in Normal games? Or should I sacrifice enjoyment by playing Ranked, where my ELO can be directly observed?

Ranger Drizzt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

You technically answered this question yourself:

Quote:
I want to get matched up with more competitive opponents
To get that higher level of play you're going to need to deal with people that are much more serious about said play. You're going to be trolled, you're going to be demeaned, but in the end you're going to become a much better player.

I was at the same stage as you about 9 months ago. I had been level 30 for quite some time and wished to get more out of the game I had devoted so much time to. Since then I have played around 230 solo/duo queue ranked games. If you take your Elo rating seriously, there are going to be times where this will not be enjoyable. Within my first 20 or so matches I jumped my rating up to 1435. I thought to myself wow this isn't so bad. Suddenly it fell into the 1000's, and I realized by shear luck I had been carried that high through great teammates.

However I have been trying to pick up more champions to diversify and strengthen the roles I play, and it has began to pay off. I am currently a Bronze rated player and can fill any position with some semblance of confidence.

My tips to you are:

1. Before you start to compete at ranked, have 3+ champions that you can play at least 3 different positions. This will keep you from being singled out as a noob who can only play support Leona (yea that was me awhile back).

2. Be able to take criticism. Peolple are going to yell at you, but if you treat them respectfully and ask them for tips and tricks, many players are more than glad to share. That is how you improve, by constantly expanding your knowledge of a game.

3. Realize what moments/decisions made you win/lose. Being able to prevent mistakes can be vital to your team during those critical situations.

4. Never surrender. Just turtle up and keep farming. This may seem stupid, but I have been both on the winning and losing side where a poor decision 45+minutes into a game cost a team their win.

5. Try not to be down to other players. Many of them are in your same situation. Giving them tips to help them. Ideally it could lead your team to victory, and also just leads to a healthier overall community.

I hope I managed to help. Feel free to add me in game and hit me up with any other questions, I'm more than happy to help.

Ranger Drizzt

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

If you are winning a large percentage of your normal games, then join the ranked queue, you will get matched with other first time or so ranked players.

For me, it was an interesting experience. I had a high hidden normal ELO (from a large win loss differential) and my first few ranked games were actually easier than my normal games.

This will likely happen for you. If you are as good as you say, you should probably be able to get to 1400+ elo (Silver and above) with little to no problems.

Try it out. You can always play normals if you don't like ranked and/or get bored of it.

Lethadind

09-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post
Try it out. You can always play normals if you don't like ranked and/or get bored of it.
FALSE!! Must...played...ranked...games....