Poppy tips and tricks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGoddamnAndrea

09-04-2012

Hey, I recently bought Poppy and have been having a blast with her. I was just wondering if I could get any tips and tricks concerning her?

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

1. Be a boss, Poppy has higher eHP (effective hp) as she gets to lower health, try to stay in the fight as long as possible unless the enemy is really strong on true damage (Olaf, Irelia, Darius)

2. Farm up. Poppy is one of the best 6 items champion in the game.

3. Don't build health. Building health will lower the effectiveness on your passive, on the other hand, you can buy a red elixir and use it whenever you get to 50-100 hp (real evil laugh coming from SivHD)

4. Wall is always your best friend, whether you are building AD or AP

5. Be sure that you always get the magic pen in the offense tree, Poppy's Q is magical damage even when you are building her AD or AP, meaning you will get use out of the magic pen all the time.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiny details:
Tanking one hit from minions in lane can be used to prolong your passive if you don't have any creeps to last hit from yet.

Always pop W so it is easier for you to smash them into a wall

Jungle is your best friend

Ultimate ignore tower damage, enjoy while it lasts.

Their carries = Your food.

Ultimate does increase DFG and Ignite damage.

q12w23e34

09-04-2012

You need to learn matchups like a boss. That is very important when playing her. Also, just farm the creeps as much as possible while dishing out harass.

TheGoddamnAndrea

09-04-2012

Thank you for the tips! I didn't know her ult scaled with Ignite. I ran with it for a few games, but generally I prefer ghost/exhaust so I swapped back to that. I will have to give Ignite another go. And turret diving, woo.

Is there a list of matchups somewhere? Google brought up a couple but they're dated. (The first one doesn't even have Poppy on it, heh.)

FaerellG

09-04-2012

Biggest problem that poppy players have starting out is learning what trades you can and cannot make. She has some of the strongest early game burst with her Q alone, and her passive makes her very hard to kill early game.

She also has a very dynamic starting set because her skills and starting items change depending on her matchups.

Against, physical damage you want to start W.
Against anything else you want to start Q.

Depending on your confidence and how much burst your opponent can put out, you can start:
Regrowth + pot
Cloth + 5 pot
Boots + 3 pot

Regrowth is for when you just need sustain. They have no real burst and you think it will just be a passive farming lane.
Cloth is if you fear heavy harass from physical damage sources.
Boots is standard or if you think you can win trades if you can catch them (Q hurts alot).

But, it's important to learn how much damage you can dish out, and how much damage you can take utilizing your passive.

Amalickiah

09-04-2012

Gear all of your runes and masteries to help your ability to farm early game. So something like 9/21 and lots of armor for runes. Get W at level 1 to help last-hitting and prevent minion damage. Start cloth +5 vs AD sustain champs and regrowth vs everything else to rush philo.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2012

Personally I only play her in the jungle, and while there are better jungle champs, I'm a terrible melee farmer(and top laner in general) so she's utterly useless to me in top lane. Her W makes her very effective against jungle camps, giving her increased AD and armor which are both important for early game jungling, as well as the active speedboost for increased mobility getting to lanes and chasing down low health opponents. Her Q also has utility there, and her E gives her some ganking potential. Unfortunately, she's very mana hungry, and as there are many better jungles to use in PvP, I tend to only use her when I play bot games(to check my lag before a PvP game, or for a quick First Win) and can take both blue buffs.

I've also heard of her being used as a support champion, but I main support and I don't view her abilities as very useful in that role.

Top is probably the best if you can both farm and evade harassment, but if you can't do one or both, her lack of inherent sustain and need to be built make her a poor choice.

Pushover

09-04-2012

Look up Spamhappy (theZekent)'s guide to Poppy on solomid, SUPER useful guide with pretty much all the toplane matchups.