I'm not too proud to ask for help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rectal Necrosis

09-03-2012

@zei: The issue I have most often is mobility. TF was slow as hell in the old days, but I adapted to it. No one was a horrible heavy hitter early game unless they were melee AD. Back then, if you let them get close, that was your own fault. Nowadays, someone like Ahri or Fizz can make skill shots impossible while blowing me away in one solid burst. Seems a bit.... retarded? I don't know.

@Day: So, you're saying a more support/AP role is better for him? Not a hard carry like veigar, but more or less someone who makes sure Target X dies?

FaerellG

09-03-2012

No expert here, but I did play TF for a bit.

Laning phase. Think about the matchup and consider whether or not you can beat the opponent or if you need to passive farm till 6.
Level Q up for harass and use Blue to sustain your mana as in most cases you'll have to passive farm until 6. But in rare cases where your opponent is a derp or you have a good match up, try a gold card + wild card + stacked deck combo for burst. That should eat about half the HP of a squishy. Some auto attacks and a lucky hit on Wild cards will net you a kill.

Once you hit 6 it's gank central. Since you last played TF his ulti has been greatly nerfed. It's no longer global, so I suspect this is where you're having trouble. You still use it in the same way (teleport into battles), but you can't just sit in lane and do it anymore. You'll have to walk a couple seconds into the jungle before you can reach another lane usually. So the trick here is once you hit 6, walk into bushes frequently. It will freak your opponents out. Enemy mid will be like "TF MIA!" and everyone will go "oh ****, he could port at any time!" and start backing off pressure on your allies. Keep doing this until someone slips up and then Destiny/Gate and go for it.

Zeikei

09-03-2012

Yeah Ahri and Fizz are probably two of the best champs against him. They just kind of win the matchup unless you outplay them or have godly timing on your ganks. On the plus side, ganking mid when TF is on your team is pretty easy, especially against something like pre-6 Ahri.

You ever try running Movespeed quints?

Pretty common to run movespeed and sometimes even MR blues, which makes it harder for enemies to kill you, but leaves you with no bonus AP.

Rectal Necrosis

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
No expert here, but I did play TF for a bit.

Laning phase. Think about the matchup and consider whether or not you can beat the opponent or if you need to passive farm till 6.
Level Q up for harass and use Blue to sustain your mana as in most cases you'll have to passive farm until 6. But in rare cases where your opponent is a derp or you have a good match up, try a gold card + wild card + stacked deck combo for burst. That should eat about half the HP of a squishy. Some auto attacks and a lucky hit on Wild cards will net you a kill.

Once you hit 6 it's gank central. Since you last played TF his ulti has been greatly nerfed. It's no longer global, so I suspect this is where you're having trouble. You still use it in the same way (teleport into battles), but you can't just sit in lane and do it anymore. You'll have to walk a couple seconds into the jungle before you can reach another lane usually. So the trick here is once you hit 6, walk into bushes frequently. It will freak your opponents out. Enemy mid will be like "TF MIA!" and everyone will go "oh ****, he could port at any time!" and start backing off pressure on your allies. Keep doing this until someone slips up and then Destiny/Gate and go for it.
That last bit is exceptionally helpful.

I do hate that I have to run into a bush to pull that **** these days. I never thought of the inverse of the psychological effects it has on the enemy.

For those of you who wonder why I don't give up on TF and play someone else:

When I play a game, I look for the character with my personality. In Payday, it's Hoxton. In Dota 2 it's lifestealer (that dude's a ******, I mean, seriously). In Pokemon, I take Skuntank. TF, when he first came out, had my personality. Spamming /joke on a lane shaco was priceless. When my buddy who went to pax gave me PAX TF as a gift, I vowed I'd make it pro with that skin.

Regardless of where that goes, I just like TF. I refuse to not play him because Annie has better nuke, or whatever the reason. That's why I'm trying to improve.

Zeikei

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Necrosis View Post
Regardless of where that goes, I just like TF. I refuse to not play him because Annie has better nuke, or whatever the reason. That's why I'm trying to improve.
TF still one of the best champions in the game IMO, you have to learn how to manage his weaknesses, but after that, its just silly how hard you can carry mid game.

Rectal Necrosis

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeikei View Post
TF still one of the best champions in the game IMO, you have to learn how to manage his weaknesses, but after that, its just silly how hard you can carry mid game.
With quints and runes, TF has around 100 extra AP at level 18 anyway. I could probably pop off 3 quints for movement, might not be a bad call for someone like him.