I'm not too proud to ask for help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rectal Necrosis

09-03-2012

I can start with one of my "Back in my days" rants about how League Of Legends used to be fun. How Twitch used to be the last thing you wanted to see and how trynmadere was for noob cakes, but I'm going to side-step all of that.

Rather, I need help with Twisted Fate.

I've long since come to the realization that champs like Ahri make AP TF a bad choice and that he seems to be lacking as a champion.

It's a bit strange for me. I remember a Twisted Fate from 2009 who could give gankplank a 35% crit chance out the gates if the GP had the right runes/masteries. A TF who was a one man poop-storm of death and destruction. It's weird.

Every champ has a play style. Fizz goes balls deep then tridents out screaming "lol jk", shaco shines by jumping on the squish, and alistar just don't give a flying doo-doo. The problem is, my ways of playing Twisted Fate from 2009 are getting me rofl-stomped here in 2012.

Anyway, does anybody have any tips for playing TF?

Judas Priest

09-03-2012

All your post is pointless, you could just have posted your last sentence. Let me do that for you:

TL/DR:
Does anybody have any tips for playing Twisted Fate?

Judas Priest

09-03-2012

Oh, and the answer... go read a Mobafire and/or a Solomid guide about Twisted Fate.

Rectal Necrosis

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre Judas View Post
Oh, and the answer... go read a Mobafire and/or a Solomid guide about Twisted Fate.
Well, I could do without the sarcasm, but hey, morde es numbero uno, m i rite?

Thanks, I'll go check that out. I was kind of hoping a forum go-er who plays him could provide playstyle, not build tips, but that's cool.

Quazifuji

09-03-2012

Mobafire guides are generally not considered high quality. Solomid's usually considered a much better source.

Lethadind

09-03-2012

Personally I thought the OP's post was fine...threw in a bit of comedy and got us excited for the question, built up to it, the BAM, "How do I play Twisted Fate?" Kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time. (TL;DR: Shoo, troll!)

Ahem, as to your question, yeah, check out some of the guides. HOWEVER, most posted guides don't really tell you how to PLAY the champion, but rather how to BUILD the champion. I wasn't here for the original TF I guess, but nowadays I rarely see him. His AP burst isn't that strong and as an ADC he falls off compared to others. Maybe try a new champ instead? I dunno, I don't think you'll see the glory days of TF come back again unless they remake him.

Good luck in any case.

TVPMike

09-03-2012

Twisted Fate is a very hard Champion to master because he is so squishy and has very little mobility outside of his Ultimate. Perfecting last hitting with him is a must. If you can not do this, you will fail. The next step is learning when to Ultimate and when not to Ultimate. You can learn a lot by watching streams of this. Overall, he is a cool Champion, but not the easiest skillcap.

Rectal Necrosis

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Sigil View Post
Twisted Fate is a very hard Champion to master because he is so squishy and has very little mobility outside of his Ultimate. Perfecting last hitting with him is a must. If you can not do this, you will fail. The next step is learning when to Ultimate and when not to Ultimate. You can learn a lot by watching streams of this. Overall, he is a cool Champion, but not the easiest skillcap.
See, that's my problem.

I know items. I know pretty much every champ in-n-out to an extent. What skills are likely to be used, how they'll use them, etc... Items that are good with them, the works.

TF just feels weird these days. Back in 2009, I knew who he was. I played him ADC with emphasis on crit. He was perfect, and against the original 40, he was horrifying. I could predict anybody's response to my actions, see other TF moves before they happened, the works. You could put me up against any other TF and it would be one of the most entertaining experiences ever, guaranteed to leave people at the edge of their seat. No I'm not being arrogant, that sod carried me to level 30 and I owe more than 80% of my wins to him.

Nowadays, it's not the same. I believe it's because he was reworked, the meta changed, and the ideal play-style for him has been altered, but I can't quite place it. That's why I'm asking people to explain if his play-style has changed. What his current role is.

Past: his role was this. Every thirty seconds his tele was up, and his ult quickly followed. He guaranteed one squish burger didn't enter the team-fight ALL DAY.
Current: I can't figure it out.

TL;DR: I'm old at this game. The glory days are gone and I can't figure out how to play my favorite champ anymore.

It's probably smart to mention that there's a huge hiatus for me between march 2010-2011ish.

Zeikei

09-03-2012

You can play TF in any matchup, especially if its low elo solo queue.

Your laning phase is going to suck against almost all champions because you either are squishier, do less damage, have less sustain, or less mobility. Don't think TF is the same as he was in the old days. He was disgustingly OP for a long time, and to succeed you just need to farm well and set up your ganks correctly.

Counterganking and 4-man ganking bot are some of the most effective strategies.

EDIT: AP TF mid is the only way he's commonly played now I don't think AD TF is very powerful now, wasn't sure if you were asking about AP vs AD or not, so there.

EDIT 2: TF is the ultimate map presence machine, split push and gank whenever your ultimate is up, because he certainly isn't as strong as other AP carries in straight up fights, except in some poke situations.

DaystarFire

09-03-2012

Early game:

Farm, throw as many blue cards at the minions as possible, try to harass with wild cards, though it doesn't really start to hurt until level 5. If those cards just aren't landing and you need a harass combo, go with gold card to wild cards. Red card to wild cards to farm the caster minions and shove your lane.

Mid-game:

By now you should be doing a good amount of damage, look for those good ults where you can change the tide of a battle in your favor. If possible try to lock in a gold card before you ult so you have a stun ready for when you get there. Also, don't ult in if it's a fight you can easily walk to and still arrive in time to help your team.

Late game:

Try not to get caught out, constantly throw all your cards at them to dish out massive damage. If you see their entire team pushing in one spot, see if you can ult into another lane and split push it if your team doesn't need you desperately.