Idea for a jungle timer map overlay

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scodo

09-03-2012

I had an idea for a jungle timer system that doesn't rely on cluttering up the hud, but instead puts a succinct circular timer on a camp. Same with neutral mobs like Baron and Dragon.

Basically how it would work is that as soon as the camp was cleared, a dark translucent circle would appear on the camp itself. A lighter wedge would begin to fill in the darker circle marking the time until the camp respawned.

I think this would help new players plan their jungle routes better, and take some of the pressure off veteran players to be keeping track of every single camp either in their head in chat, or with 3rd party timer programs.

PROS
Makes respawning camps less daunting for new players
Lessens reliance on 3rd party programs
Adds no clutter to the in-game UI
Easy to interpret
Benefits all types of junglers
Lets other lanes keep track of when camps will be up when the jungler is not nearby, so that they can clear the camp themselves

CONS
May oversimplify jungling
pie-chart timers directly on the game map may reduce immersion
May make counterjungling stronger, because you would always know exactly when an enemy camp you cleared will respawn.

Any thoughts?

Aikimiller

09-04-2012

While it would be very, very useful as a tool (perhaps as an overlay app) I don't want to see it implemented as a core part of the game.

Learning jungle timers is a part of advanced play that I kind of like, and I don't think it should be made too easy.

Viperious

09-13-2012

I agree with Aikimiller. Although I have used jungle timers in the past I don't need them anymore. I've learned the respawn timers for all the camps. I think jungle timers should only be used as a means to learn the jungle respawn times, not for implementing into the game. Can you imagine M5 with jungle timers so their counter jungle is perfected?

kwoxer

11-18-2012

Well a nice idea but there is no need for.

www.ljtd.net did it in another way. Always when a buff is upconfig it will be pinged with the Advanced MiniMap. So there is enough visual effect as overlay. No need to show a diagram I think.

Crank Shape

11-19-2012

I see this creating a problem for counter-jungling.

Let's say shaco steals your blue and your wolves. You go to the camps and find they're not there but the timer says he was just there. You can now predict his position and the lanes will be much more cautious for ganks.

It's honestly not a good idea. Jungling is not for everyone, specifically those who don't keep track of their camp timers.

Scythick

11-19-2012

Not a bad idea. But the idea of the opponents also keeping track of your creeps respawn(not so much). If you really need the timer try downloading LoL encyclopedia app on your phone(Trust me it has everything). Jungle timers is only 1 aspect of this app and its easy to use.
Enjoy

Crank Shape

11-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scythick View Post
Not a bad idea. But the idea of the opponents also keeping track of your creeps respawn(not so much). If you really need the timer try downloading LoL encyclopedia app on your phone(Trust me it has everything). Jungle timers is only 1 aspect of this app and its easy to use.
Enjoy
If it's really that hard for you to look at the clock right when you kill a jungle monster and remember the time, just type it in chat.

When I first started getting serious about jungling I'd type w(wolves), wr(wraiths), r(red buff)b (blue buff) and g(golemns) into the chat. I have timestamps so it made it easier to know when they'd respawn. i suggest doing that if you dont want to download a sketchy thirdparty program