Effective Teamfighting as a carry?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lamentations

09-03-2012

Hello all. I'm looking for tips about how to effectively team fight as a carry. Specifically how should AD carries and AP carries approach a teamfight, when should they engage and who should they focus. I ask because for the most part (with some bad exceptions) I lane well, often beating opponents (especially in mid), but then I sometimes fall behind with the onset of team fights. Obviously this is a problem, so how do I fix it?

Kreyni

09-03-2012

AP carry: Stay behind your tank until he initiates, and nuke the important targets. When your skills are cooling down, stay behind and auto-attack, but don't auto-attack if it means taking damage.

AD carry: Positioning is key. Position yourself not to get focused down, stay behind the tank, prioritize targets. DO NOT DIE. This is the most important because AD carries do a mean job of cleaning up and if you die prematurely your team will lose if the other ADC is alive.

Targets in order of importance:
Fed Bruiser* > Fed AD carry > Fed AP carry > AD carry > AP carry > Bruiser > Support > Tank

*You shouldn't FOCUS a bruiser. I mean that if they run into your team with one goal in mind, killing your AD carry, it is MOST IMPORTANT to peel him off your AD carry. This can be done with Taunts, Knockbacks, Pulls, and other forms of CC. Note that if it's a fully build Olaf with his ultimate on, say goodbye to your AD carry.

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreyni View Post
AP carry: Stay behind your tank until he initiates, and nuke the important targets. When your skills are cooling down, stay behind and auto-attack, but don't auto-attack if it means taking damage.

AD carry: Positioning is key. Position yourself not to get focused down, stay behind the tank, prioritize targets. DO NOT DIE. This is the most important because AD carries do a mean job of cleaning up and if you die prematurely your team will lose if the other ADC is alive.

Targets in order of importance:
Fed Bruiser* > Fed AD carry > Fed AP carry > AD carry > AP carry > Bruiser > Support > Tank

*You shouldn't FOCUS a bruiser. I mean that if they run into your team with one goal in mind, killing your AD carry, it is MOST IMPORTANT to peel him off your AD carry. This can be done with Taunts, Knockbacks, Pulls, and other forms of CC. Note that if it's a fully build Olaf with his ultimate on, say goodbye to your AD carry.
This is a very simple, yet very productive post.

With either of your carries, try and stay near walls and always plan your retreat before you fight. You may need it.

A lot of positioning is realizing how you can get away. Also, warding is REALLY important to positioning. You may be running right into a trap, because of that rogue Poppy or Evelynn who likes to pick off stragglers.

For example, if its a jungle fight try and stay near a wall to flash over. Depending on your carry, save your CC for that guy getting on you.

If you're the AP, save your longer cooldowns for the important, but try and widdle down the group while you're standing off. YOU DO NOT ENGAGE! That is your offtank/tank's job.

If you're AD, just take the shots open, and if you get a line for their AD carry or AP carry, take it and get out. As soon as you pick up a kill, you're going to be noticed.

When you take a hit as an ad/ap carry, that means they are onto you and you need to move.

If you're having troubles with this, try to take characters with good positioning moves. Caitlyn is a GREAT starter, she has the range to leave room for error, and an E which goes over walls and slow targets With a trap to plan your escape. Other great positioning carries are Tristana, Ezreal, Corki, Graves.

More than anything, it just takes relentless practice with them. Try playing some ARAM's. It really helps you learn positioning.

Lamentations

09-03-2012

Thanks great advice. The positioning and targeting advice has been pretty helpful.

KnightxSScarlett

09-03-2012

Right click enemy champions.