What's this backdoor?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Khashishi

12-30-2009

In the original DOTA, there was no ban on attacking towers without minion backup (there was no such thing as "backdooring"), but skipping towers was usually frowned upon (less so in high level play).
Also, a single sieger like the cow with healer backup could easily level your entire base with no defenses.

This had big effects on game-play. It meant that you usually had to leave some heroes on defense, unless you had good scouting information. So 5-mans were less frequent, somewhat all-in. Usually it meant that there were two heroes playing defense and two heroes sieging the enemy (often suiciding to do some damage to the towers), with the healer teleporting between them.

Tetrall Mors

12-30-2009

Hmm, never played dota.

Me and four of my cousins all play together. We're not high ELO, but were starting to taste some of the upper crust players.

The last game we played was very very hard fought. Our team composition was: Shaco, Gangplank, Yi, Trystina, Teemo. Theirs was more balanced: Singed, Mundo, Yi, Karthus, and Ryze.

I knew from the start is was going to be an uphill battle the whole way, but we decided to give it our best shot. Long story short, we made some early mistakes that costs us our primary towers before level 11, which is an almost certain death sentence in my book, but by that time I was well fed up on minions and could start kill minion waves with a few quick swipes of me broad sword. The game went on, back and forward, team fight after team fight with constant deaths on both sides... Their singed was beyond stellar, not gonna lie, the guy carried his team, without him they would have lost but the guy seemed to be everwhere at once.

Anyways - so we were able to steal the baron from them, able to even kill off an inhibitor... this is of course after their Yi backdoored all our turrets but we had the DPS and the fortidute to repel them and their blasted super minions.

The thing is, their Yi wasn't really that great in a team fight, or during lane phase, but he was an EXCELLENT backdoor man. He even had a negative ratio, HOWEVER, his backdoor did win them the game coupled with excellent pressure from their singed (backed up by their entire team).

They had to get the baron three times to seal the deal... and only barely won the last run on our turrets... just didn't have my cannon barrage ready or we would have repelled them again.

Am I upset they won? NO! It was an awesome learning experience, Am I upset they backdoored? NO! My cousin plays Yi and he's no slouch in a teamfight or a lane and after watching their yi's late-game tactics we've found a missing hole in our strategy. I think we will win more games now and part of that is due to the use of backdooring with Master Yi.

MBirk

12-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobiusMaximus View Post
Winning is fun. To you playing "fair" and not being "cheap" might be fun, but if you've played anything at a remotely competitive level, you'll know that winning is far more fun than sticking to an arbitrary set of rules that weren't defined in the first place.

How does backdooring limit creativity and strategy?

You need to create the opportunity to back door by working with your team. They must occupy the enemy team at 4v5 to give you the opportunity to back door. Surely there are many creative ways to do so?
But competitive gaming does in fact HAVE rules defined. And almost always rules that go beyond the basic hard coded ones.

Personally, I'm getting to old to rage over any game. Games like L4D, tf2, etc have taught me well, its more fun to lose gloriously, then win a route. Hilarious, and epic failures in L4D with friends is/was far more fun then most boring as hell owning of newbies in any game.
I would much rather get beaten by someone specifically better then me, then win a nothing game vs opponents that don't know what they are doing. I mean, if winning is all that matters, do you smurf? do you think thats ok? Would you/do you find that fun? I certainly don't. and, while they aren't exactly the same, the idea is similar. The matchmaking and account system allows it to happen. But it hurts competition, and should be addressed as much as possible.

Backdooring is a single hard counter to far too many other options. There are a few counters to it. Fortify is the best/most direct. Everyone has a recall. And teleport is an option as well.
the main issue is how certain champs can do it so well. Its possible with blind pick, you simply have zero counter to it at all. And demanding every team have a hard counter to it, is as I said, reducing strategic options.
Once it occurs, it basically becomes a race to see who can do it faster/better.

An ability to spend gold to repair towers perhaps? even broken ones?

iRaoul

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2010

Lmao, i started playing this yesterday, ive been playing yi and after a game, i got cursed and they started talking **** cause they said i was doin BD ?!?!?!? i had no idea wtf was that, then he started talking about DoTa which i never played. and thats not it, they actually won the game and they keep crying cause i did BD and i had like 29+ kill lolll. anyway i dont see how BD is noobish liek thewy said, first their tower was already dead on top and bottom, i just rushed their inhiator or whatever its called to spawn stronger minion. they just mad cause i oowned them so bad, but most of my team sucked and one dced so we still lost lol.

and btw they had no oen defending top or bottom, so was i supose to wait for minion to get there before i attack their building for stronger minion??? i dont get there idioty, isnt that a war game and BD is part of the game and champions strategy ? not to mention that yi isnt very good at start if they let me come that strong they just idiot

halfNakedNinja

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123birds View Post
Back dooring if frowned upon because of dota. Basicaly, you got banned if you did it. Since most of the people playing LOL are DOTA players too, expept the same replies about stuff like this. Also yi is the character that is made for BDing and has ridiculous tower damage.
ANYONE WHO COMPLAINS ABOUT BACKDOORING DOESNT UNDERSTAND THE GAME!!
even in DOTA the rules said that backdooring was aloud.

halfNakedNinja

03-08-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetrall Mors View Post
Our team composition was: Shaco, Gangplank, Yi, Trystina, Teemo.
Wow you had a team of carries. lol there was no way you would win with no cc and no tank.

Ontain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-08-2010

I playing as Veigar was accused once of backdooring even though I was with my Superminions and the enemy team was all in my base. losers will say anything to make themselves feel better.

Iron Bible

03-08-2010

Wow, this thread has now been necroed twice. Impressive staying power for such a ****ty thread.

Ruzihm

03-08-2010

agreed

Phosphine

03-08-2010

You have to wait for them to get to the tower before you can kill it duh!