Building: Leona and Kayle

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Endertome

09-02-2012

So yeah. I've been playing for about a month and have more recently been drifting away from using 'Recommended' to build my own setups.
I'm not a competitive player by any means, I'm just looking for some feedback on the way I build these--and whether it's a good build or how I could improve it.

Leona:
-Berserker Greaves (Admittedly I just like attacking faster)
-Frozen Mallet (Even easier to lock down runners, and health)
-Sunfire Cape (Helpful vs minion groups during tower attacks, health and armor) (it also feels "right" for Leona to have this)
-Frozen Heart (Armor, mana, and the aura are all nice)

I actually am not sure what to get after this. I've only started using (and then bought) Leona since she became free this week. Suggestions for the last two slots would be great. Currently I've been adding things like Abyssal Scepter but I haven't been very consistent here.

Kayle:
-Berserker's Greaves
-Nashor's Tooth
-Soul Shroud
-Hextech Gunblade
-Phantom Dancer
-Black Cleaver

This build attacks fast and keeps her E up 100% by the time you have Soul Shroud. The rest of the items focus on making her E hit harder. Gunblade's Spellvamp/Life Steal aid in survivability I think. Phantom Dancer stacks on this by boosting attack speed. I'm iffy on Black Cleaver, since this build might benefit more from AP than AD, but I'm not sure what to replace it with.

Admittedly these have been working pretty great so far. I noticed I get focused down a lot in PvP matches which kind of kills my enjoyment though. I figure some tweaking is in order so I'm asking for help.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2012

In competitive play, Leona is played 100% of the time as a support and follows the standard support build - philo stone, HoG, CDR boots (for more CC), aura items depending on what the team needs, LOTS of wards.

Endertome

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
In competitive play, Leona is played 100% of the time as a support and follows the standard support build - philo stone, HoG, CDR boots (for more CC), aura items depending on what the team needs, LOTS of wards.
Yes but I don't play competitively, I build her as a tank. She's not even tagged as Support and has no heals or buffs in her kit.

Also why is it only the Support's job to buy and place wards? Wouldn't it be easier if the entire team did this?

Mambazo

09-02-2012

Definitely no zerker greaves on Leona. I usually go ninja tabi- Merc treads are expensive and if the enemy team is wasting crowd control on you, more power to you- they shouldn't be throwing stuns at the tank. Your autoattacks will get you nowhere if you are building straight tank. Ignore damage oriented items. Frozen mallet is less bad because its mostly health, but still kind a dumb buy on her- she has 3 seconds of solid, hard CC and will NEVER kill on her own. So if your team can't leverage your CC into a kill, having FM isn't going to help. Especially considering someone else, likely your jungle or AD carry, should have some sort of slow in their kit or items already. Sunfire cape is a good buy.
Pretty much all leonas start with a Philosopher Stone to help the laning phase and build into Shurelya's Reverie. The active is incredibly powerful. I know that at the level you play at it probably is less useful as you generally will have less cohesive teams, but giving your team a 40% ms boost is VERY strong. And it gives cooldown reduction and health, 2 things leona scales best with. Frozen Heart is a good buy, and paired with Shurelya's will put you very close to the cooldown reduction cap without factoring in masteries or runes. After these core items (Shurelya's, Frozen Heart, Sunfire) you want to start thinking situationally about the enemy team. Depending on who's dealing the most damage, you want to build resists against them- if they have a 12-2 fiddlesticks who is owning, get force of nature. If they have an Ezreal with 350 AD, well, you're probably already set with FH and SFC and your W. If you're tanking very well and noone is really touching you, you can grab Oracle's Elixir and some wards and start supporting your team in that respect as well.

I could write a lot more- building tanks is always about building against the enemy team. For example if their AP mage is getting out of control and it's still early game, it would be foolish to still build your frozen heart- getting some health and magic resist would go further. But that's something you learn with experience and I think I've typed enough already Hopefully someone else can help you with Kayle. For a short bit of advice about Kayle, I like to build her as a nearly standard AD carry- Dorans Blades, Zerker Greaves, Infinity Edge. She has short range but a long range slow, an MS boost, Invulnerability ult- it works pretty well. She has to be in the right lane though.

Endertome

09-02-2012

If I'm thinking situationally, I would be working on the fly. But for a "general kit", I'd be looking at...

-Ninja Tabi
-Shurelya's Revarie
-Sunfire Cape
-Frozen Heart

I'm trying to figure out what to put in the last two spots for a general kit.

I admit that I do a lot of chasing and the slow on Frozen Mallet was nice for that. I could keep ranged carries permanently in range even through their own slows, via low-CD Daybreak and Zenith Blade. I should stop doing this.
(Though I have gotten kills this way)
Until I find something more useful, I'll probably leave FM in my item list.
And I may round this out with Guardian Angel at the end for the armor/magic resistance.

As for Kayle, I try to avoid Doran's items these days and try to spend my gold on things I can build up with later. It's probably not the wisest strategy.

thepantsparty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endertome View Post
Yes but I don't play competitively, I build her as a tank. She's not even tagged as Support and has no heals or buffs in her kit.

Also why is it only the Support's job to buy and place wards? Wouldn't it be easier if the entire team did this?
She farms terribly but has innate tankiness and CC - that's why she makes a good support but a poor traditional laner. That she doesn't have heals or buffs doesn't make her not a support, in fact she's one of the best - she can lock down an enemy while her carry tears them apart, and also give her carry room to farm through the threat of her lockdown. Play her however you want, but if you want to play Leona she's more effective as a support than a tank that solo lanes or jungles, and if you want to play a traditional tank that solo lanes or jungles there are more effective choices than her.

Everyone buys wards, but supports buy more. They don't need as many items to still be useful to the team - that's what makes a champion a good support - freeing up more of their gold to spend on providing map vision.

Edit: I see you basically only play bot games. In that case build whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Playing support against bots is pointless.

Endertome

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepantsparty View Post
Edit: I see you basically only play bot games. In that case build whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Playing support against bots is pointless.
Why do I feel like I've just been insulted?

I do play PvP. Just not on weekends when the queues are flooded with people I stand no chance against at my skill level.

Also I use bot games to practice or test builds so I don't suck in PvP matches.

Mambazo

09-02-2012

Dorans blades and rings are extremely common buys in high-level play. You rarely make it to the point where you run out of slots and the cost-to-stat ratio on dorans items are very high. Avoid the shield on any champion however. There are far superior choices for lane sustain.

Endertome

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambazo View Post
Dorans blades and rings are extremely common buys in high-level play. You rarely make it to the point where you run out of slots and the cost-to-stat ratio on dorans items are very high. Avoid the shield on any champion however. There are far superior choices for lane sustain.
Huh. I see. That's a bit surprising and good to know. I'll look at those again.

Syferfyre

Recruiter

09-03-2012

Try playing more PvP, playing bots will give you bad habits. For me I never played bots when I first started playing this game, so eventually I just started to learn, lol. On weekends I feel like the matches are easier then on weekdays, more kids that don't know what they're doing.