amp tone vs dorans ring start?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iittala

09-02-2012

This is really unbalanced right now... people used to be able to start amp tone for the damage edge(mainly for an early kill aka champs like ahri and leblanc) but it no longer exists anymore. dorans ring has a 15 ap start and amp tone has 20 ap. Every mage should be starting with dorans right now and stacking them simply because they are just too good not to. I`d really like to eithier see a 5 ap nerf to the droans ring so it would be very similiar to both dorans shield and dorans blade with the 10 stat. or they should buff amp tone to 25 ap to start and make kages lucky pick with 30 ap. they just need to nerf one or buff the other but not both.

Lethadind

09-02-2012

Or how about you start with boots and pots since it gives you better sustain and mobility?

On another note Amp Tome combines into other items, Doran's ring does not. This is why Doran's items are more powerful - they give you more for your money, the game was designed with this in mind. You sell them for 1/2 price instead of 3/4 price as well. Getting them is eventually a waste of money, but they provide the best single-item utility. To change that would be to change the entire game.

Also you can get an amp tome and a pot, this provides you with 20 AP and 150 health to Doran's 15 AP and 80 health, plus some mana regen. What more do you want?

Iittala

09-02-2012

They have nerfed Dorans items once already. You used to start with 100 bonus health opposed to 80 and the other stats used to be higher than they were.

Boots and pots start.. how unoriginal everyone already does it, maybe the champs I play either have gap closers or are very slow to start and a boots start just isn`t the best.

The amp tone pot start dosn`t compete wit the Dorans start anymore. The 5 AP gap is just too small and I`d like for it to be closed when I do go against people that start with Dorans.

Rampant Poncho

09-02-2012

Who care if starting boots and pots is unoriginal? It works and that's why it's common. Just because the champs you play have a gap closer doesn't mean boots are a bad choice compared to other starting items. I laugh whenever I see someone start with doran's blade in mid lane because most of the time I see them get facerolled. Amp tome can be built into a lot of different items and can be a good starting item if you can effectively harass and take little damage in return. You gain an additional 5 AP by going amplifying tome and you end up with a lot more sustain which means your presence in lane lasts longer and increases the gold you gain from cs.

Lethadind

09-02-2012

The point of amp tome is that it can be upgraded. It's not a starting item. Like, at all. Doran's Ring is a starting item (actually it's not, everyone who starts Doran's Ring gets facerolled because they are behind boots+3 by 370 health, for a measly +15 AP and mana regen). The only reason to start Amp Tome is if you're wanting to rush Hextech or Sheen. That's the only reason. It still falls off compared to boots+3.

And, yes, it falls off compared to Doran's Ring as well - 70 health, 5 AP, and regen. That's the point! I'm not sure how you're not understanding this.

Cenerae

09-02-2012

Both amp tome and dorans ring are awkward item starts. Boots gives you so much more mobility and the 3 pots much more sustain.

Dorans should never be started with. Amp tome should only be started with if you plan to rush a lucky pick and believe you can get away with having crappy mobility for a while.

Buffing or nerfing either item isn't magically going to make either of them suddenly desirable starting choices, given how valuable movement speed is.

PogoPogoPogoPogo

09-02-2012

Nevermind the upgradeability, Amp Tome has 20 AP. Doran's Ring 15 AP (and other stats).

Compare this to AD. Doran's Blade has 10 AD and other stats. Long Sword has 10 AD and nothing. They both offer the same AD. The only advantage to Long Sword is that it's 60 gold cheaper and combines into items.

Fluffy1

09-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iittala View Post
They have nerfed Dorans items once already. You used to start with 100 bonus health opposed to 80 and the other stats used to be higher than they were.
when i started dorans items were 150 hp and

shield was 8 armour/8 regen
ring was 10 ap/5 mana regen
sword was 8 damage/4% lifesteal

AND they were cheap enough to also start with hp pot....they have been nerfed several times

DaystarFire

09-03-2012

The 5 more AP than the dorans blade AD is there for a reason: AD scales your auto-attack along with whatever AD skills you might have, so the amount of AD is toned down and the AD scaling on abilities tweaked up slightly; But, the amount of AP you can get is toned up so that you can make up for your lack of auto-attack strength, and to make up for the slightly lower scaling on AP skills.

EDIT: The reason you would take an Amplifying tome/long sword over Doran's is: gold loss. Every time you sell an item you lose gold: the difference between the buy price and the sell return. By starting an amplifying tome/long sword you are taking a risk on your early game to have a slightly quicker late game and mid game: you take the hit to early stats for no gold loss by selling the item, and more gold to complete your first item (building out of the amplifying tome/long sword).

Zeikei

09-03-2012

All AD values scale multiplicatively, so if you could realistically have the same amount AD as you can potentially have AP, AD carries would be broken.

Even with lower values, because of the way AD scales, AD carries do much more damage with 4+ items.

Just imagine if they made Infinity Edge give you 140 AD, because Rabadon's Deathcap gives you 140 AP.