League Judgments: Constructive Criticism

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morbis

09-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnoftheDead View Post
I agree, the league judgement are well written but they lack any creativeness.
I would have to say the opposite is true. the creativity is there. it's the writing that's lacking. I don't want to offend anyone at riot(everything is written very competently) but the story telling is very lacking. perhaps it's just difficult to get much depth out of something that's restricted to half a page in length?

dogbiter

09-20-2010

i cant wait for rammus judgement

ok

KarrieBear

Associate Creative Designer

09-20-2010
3 of 3 Riot Posts

I definitely can understand the sentiment - the structure does lend itself to being repetitive if we don't approach it carefully. My opinion is: YES - it does save us some words on not having to recap the whole judgment process as our readers are familiar with it. It also gives you an equal framework to compare the champions with, as they all react differently given a similar test.

And the MOST important thing here is that we, as writers, don't want to bore ourselves either. So rest assured we (AND the champions) will be looking at ways to push the envelope even as we work within the League's judgment process.

Krosan

09-21-2010

I'm interested in seeing if they can keep up the pace. I mean, assuming the endgame goal is for every Champion to have a League Judgement... What are they going to do with some of the more straightforward ones?

Here, let me make an example by writing the Pantheon League Judgement for them.

Pantheon opens eyes in battlefield.

Corpse of thoroughly-mangled ex-opponent rises up and starts groaning "Why do you want to join the League?" at him.

Response: "To show these wimps what they're talking about when they name something the 'Institute of War.'

"WHY DO YOU WANT TO JOIN THE LEAGUE!?"

"TO KICK MORE ASS THAN IS PHYSICALLY POSSIBLE *STAB*"

"How does it feel, exposing your mind?"

"Feels about like it feels about three seconds before I hit a line of fortified enemies."

Don't get me wrong, I love the Judgements, I'm just interested to see what they come up with for some of those characters. Naturally, it'll probably be a challenge; certainly there's depth that can come up with these "flat" characters, but artificially adding traits that don't flow from existing character design would be counterproductive.

v3rgil

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotBabagahnoosh View Post
I disagree.
then im honestly glad for that responce

Blackhandsaint

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarrieBear View Post
I definitely can understand the sentiment - the structure does lend itself to being repetitive if we don't approach it carefully. My opinion is: YES - it does save us some words on not having to recap the whole judgment process as our readers are familiar with it. It also gives you an equal framework to compare the champions with, as they all react differently given a similar test.

And the MOST important thing here is that we, as writers, don't want to bore ourselves either. So rest assured we (AND the champions) will be looking at ways to push the envelope even as we work within the League's judgment process.
A Riot employee just directly addressed something I said. Excuse me while I go scream my elation to the gods.

All pseudo-erotic fan boy excitement aside, it appears that the extremely rigid format of the current League Judgement format *is* the envelope. While structure can be comforting and efficient, it is also restrictive. Why not vary the means by which the League judges its potential champions? Doing so wouldn't require any more space than, say, the "Stylish Sauntering" section of the current Judgement format as any direct explanation required (if any) would be an opener, something to entice the reader with.

Also, if time and labor are truly great problems for accommodating a more varied style of writing, then why not hold contests for the community? The various other creative contests that have been held have yielded positive results and while reading through many different entries may take some time, doing so merely requires the attention of strong editors and careful readers. Actually writing a League Judgement (I assume) requires the attentions of both the prior and a dedicated writer(s).

Those are just the ways that I think that League Judgement could be improved and I sincerely thank you for addressing my concerns. Further thoughts would be much appreciated, and thanks in advance for your dedication to the LoL community and its lore in the future!

Undead Mantis

09-22-2010

How on EARTH would a Judgement for Cho'Gath or Kog'Maw go?

"Um, so... this is what it's like in your mind, huh?"

"CONSUUUUUME!"

"Er, yeah... so, why do you-"

"FOOOOD!"

"Alright, that's pretty honest I guess. How does it feel ex-"

"GRAAARR!"

K D Bonez

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undead Mantis View Post
How on EARTH would a Judgement for Cho'Gath or Kog'Maw go?

"Um, so... this is what it's like in your mind, huh?"

"CONSUUUUUME!"

"Er, yeah... so, why do you-"

"FOOOOD!"

"Alright, that's pretty honest I guess. How does it feel ex-"

"GRAAARR!"
Couldn't help but lol at this one

Levnik Moore

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

Also, you have to think about it this way: The League Judgments are essentially their interview process. And lets get honest, after one or two, you know what is coming from an interview. "Why do you want to work here?" "Why should we hire you?" "What is your worst quality?" "How did you hear about this opening?" Etc. Keeping consistency allows for easier comparison.