Why can't you balance separately for Dominion?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dark Reiora

09-02-2012

I've never understood this.

If you have a separate balance team for Dominion.... why not let them balance the game?

If Heimer is such a problem in Dominion, nerf him. In Dominion only. Surely there can be a numbers modifier for specific champions? You have hidden passive debuffs when specific conditions are met, why not have a condition be "this is Dominion" like the Dominion/Proving Grounds buff is, and just flat out change Heimerdinger's numbers?

Oh and I'm only using Heimerdinger as an exmaple, this thread isn't about him. Same for items, and every infamous Dominion champ.

Aroyok

09-02-2012

I thought this is actually what Riot was planning to do with Dom. Separate balance for TT, SR, and Dom would definitely make the two 'lol' gamemodes more viable.

Sidenote, Dinger is def not that bad =P

FDru

09-02-2012

They could, but they won't. I'd rather they didn't anyway. Riot knows not a damn thing about Dominion and it shows. They probably would nerf Heimer.

DevlJoe

09-02-2012

Burden of knowledge, makes the mode less penetrable to new players. This is kind of silly reasoning though, as Riot doesn't seem to care if new people get into dominion or not.

LegendaryEnemy

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevlJoe View Post
Burden of knowledge, makes the mode less penetrable to new players. This is kind of silly reasoning though, as Riot doesn't seem to care if new people get into dominion or not.
Bugger new players. They have coop vs. ai for a reason. The learning curve on a 3 year old MOBA is going to be high. It's the skill cap that makes for an excellent game that appeals to new players.

"Gee wiz, one day I can be as good as the pros!"

Cauldrath

09-02-2012

Adjust something that doesn't really exist in SR: gold income over time.

Kiddalee

09-02-2012

They've already done it to items to a small degree. Odyn's Veil is basically Banshee's Veil with a different passive/active. Sanguine Blade is a different Bloodthirster. Basing Dominion items on existing Classic items decreases the burden of knowledge for new players. It's much easier than champion-specific Dominion changes.

This is not "dumbing down" the game. Making a game quick to pick up does not require you to ruin it for experienced players; the human element makes simple games much more complex than games that are trying to be complex by restricting human flexibliity.

Items and map changes are the right route because making similar items means the player already knows something about the item in question, and because sweeping map-wide changes mean you only have to learn one thing.

ShawNuff

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Reiora View Post
I've never understood this.

If you have a separate balance team for Dominion.... why not let them balance the game?

If Heimer is such a problem in Dominion, nerf him. In Dominion only. Surely there can be a numbers modifier for specific champions? You have hidden passive debuffs when specific conditions are met, why not have a condition be "this is Dominion" like the Dominion/Proving Grounds buff is, and just flat out change Heimerdinger's numbers?

Oh and I'm only using Heimerdinger as an exmaple, this thread isn't about him. Same for items, and every infamous Dominion champ.
Why can't you learn to forum search? This topic has been answered multiple times, including once by a rioter.

Talith PA

09-02-2012

I haven't seen a Heimer in so long. :O

Your Inhibitorr

09-02-2012

they physically cannot, probably due to client they built it on