Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yomko

09-01-2012

In my opinion, someone needs to be done about the new dodge timers.

I personally don't enjoy dodging games and use the feature rarely, but the new timers end up punishing the wrong parties. Dodging can be annoying when you get a string of them in a row and it takes ages to form a game, but it is infinitely less problematic than forcing people to choose between massive downtime and going through with a game that will be trolled, AFKed, or likely lost.

As an example:

My team second picks top lane which gets immediately hard counter picked. At this point team chat somewhat animates as people discuss the fact that top is going to need to be carried. Eventually our last pick locks in a second AD carry (we have no mid) and says he will build AP (this is not an AP viable AD carry), otherwise someone can dodge. At the last second I dodged.

In this situation my team made terrible pick decisions which meant that we were likely facing an uphill battle. The enemy team had a better composition even excluding top, but we can't expect perfect comps every time. That top pick however ensured that the other four players would have to play even better to compensate. As a result, one player (5th) decided he'd rather skip the game altogether.

However, instead of HIM dodging, he knows that he can probably force a dodge by making a troll pick. Why would he choose to sit out 30-60 minutes when he can make someone else do the same? Hell, if he doesn't care much about ELO, a 20 minute surrender is still faster than the dodge timer.

There are so many dodges these days created by people obviously attempting to avoid having to dodge themselves. They are unhappy enough with the prospective game that they will AFK/troll (or pretend) in order to force a dodge, turning a potentially difficult game into an unwinnable one for the rest of the team. End result, someone else (who was perhaps willing to play anyway) now dodges and sits out 30-60 minutes.

I know this has been commented on before but something needs to be done. Give a limited number of dodges per week, give a limited number before ELO loss, or just reduce the timers to 15/30 minutes. The only other solution is to allow reports or vote kicks in champion select.

TLDR: Something must be done about the current dodge timers.

Treza

09-01-2012

agree completely i have to dodge constantly in order to have any hope of getting where i should be in ranked.. its so annoying that i have to constantly sit out because of other peoples behavior or force myself into a situation i dont want to be in

MarlaMazzyHope

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treza View Post
agree completely i have to dodge constantly in order to have any hope of getting where i should be in ranked.. its so annoying that i have to constantly sit out because of other peoples behavior or force myself into a situation i dont want to be in
Do you play ranked on another account? You dont have ranked stats...

ragnaraq

09-02-2012

I agree. I've only dodged once because my ENTIRE team was trolling. But I usually go in anyways because I normally don't play ranked.

Treza

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlaMazzyHope View Post
Do you play ranked on another account? You dont have ranked stats...
nope i play ranked on this account. im not entirely sure why my ranked stats wont show.. they dont show next to my name when im in a game lobby either for some reason..

these are my ranked stats
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/24898861

MarlaMazzyHope

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treza View Post
nope i play ranked on this account. im not entirely sure why my ranked stats wont show.. they dont show next to my name when im in a game lobby either for some reason..

these are my ranked stats
http://www.lolking.net/summoner/na/24898861
You're kinda sitting where I'm trying to climb to, I just put myself in quite a hole last year. Sorry to hijack the thread I think its a really good point, I don't dodge myself because I only started back up in ranked this month and luckily have never had to be the one to dodge. (sometimes when it looks bad I stir the pot a bit in team chat just to make someone bail.)

Anyways Treza, if you ever need a duo let me know, you look kinda support/top with a splash of mid. I'm jungle support simply because it gets the games rolling and I know nobody is going to buy the wards so it might as well be me.

SygmaSik

09-02-2012

I agree, i constantly get troll picks, people either instalock or whine and moan on how they cant go mid. Im sick and tired of having this bull. So it's either stay and have a horrible game, or leave and have to wait 45 minutes because i had to leave the last queue for the same reason.

Yomko

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ║BFT║Caveman View Post
I agree, i constantly get troll picks, people either instalock or whine and moan on how they cant go mid. Im sick and tired of having this bull. So it's either stay and have a horrible game, or leave and have to wait 45 minutes because i had to leave the last queue for the same reason.
Exactly.

It's lose lose for players who ARE willing to play more than one role and/or who are willing to go through with a game even if their team looks weaker on paper. There is NO incentive for Player A to personally dodge instead of randoming, troll picking, or trolling chat in order to force Player B, C, D, or E to dodge in his place.

I didn't like dodges being tied to ELO in the past, but one thing that the old system did was it made 'force dodge' moves riskier. There was always the chance that your team would not want to give up free ELO and would just refuse to dodge, forcing the 'troll' to dodge or sit in a troll game. Now a randomed champion or troll pick or whatever almost always results in a dodge. It is inconvenient for the dodger, but it is obviously better than risking ELO loss.

ELO from each dodge was a poorly designed system but the new one is no better. It is more forgiving when Player A chooses to dodge a game, which is an improvement. However, Player A is now as likely (or less) to dodge as before, but is much more likely to believe he can force someone else to dodge if he gets stuck in a role he doesn't like or thinks his team got out-picked.

Very annoying.

1800 TOLL FREE

Master Recruiter

09-02-2012

The game caters to a variety of age groups, ethnicities and genders. While the game itself is vastly open to the public, we are forgetting that this game will not 100% be dedicated to people who want to win in a determined, team oriented matter. In other words, the ELO system or ranking system in general (where we paired up with other individuals) will never be certain. Therefore, if you wish to truly play in an organized fashion, make a team in which there will be less or no debate at all.

My ELO isn't the greatest but I learned to accept the fact that this game will no matter what, ever, have zero trolls, leavers, afkers, as if it were like driving on a road and you may or may not face a terrible driver. Like anything, it is an unpredictable system to which we must adapt and accept.

TLDR; Don't complain if you're doing solo Q. The system is working fine and can't be 100% perfect.

Yomko

09-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicnooblet View Post
The game caters to a variety of age groups, ethnicities and genders. While the game itself is vastly open to the public, we are forgetting that this game will not 100% be dedicated to people who want to win in a determined, team oriented matter. In other words, the ELO system or ranking system in general (where we paired up with other individuals) will never be certain. Therefore, if you wish to truly play in an organized fashion, make a team in which there will be less or no debate at all.

My ELO isn't the greatest but I learned to accept the fact that this game will no matter what, ever, have zero trolls, leavers, afkers, as if it were like driving on a road and you may or may not face a terrible driver. Like anything, it is an unpredictable system to which we must adapt and accept.

TLDR; Don't complain if you're doing solo Q. The system is working fine and can't be 100% perfect.
Not sure if you could miss the point of this thread anymore than you already did.

This has nothing to do with tryharding ....