Idea: Persistent (toggleable) ability range indicators

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rayketh

09-01-2012

So here's the thought process:

I want to start using smart casting, but sometimes you want to cast something at the max of your range, e.g. without moving, and if you over-extend with your smart cast, your champ moves.

One of the nice things about not-smart-casting is that you see your range, and an approximation of how big your spell effect is.

So what I would propose, is that the ability to toggle all/some of your range/spell indicators on be added, so that while smart-casting, you can still be visually made aware of your range(s).

Alternatively, I'm pretty sure the range indicator could be added to skins on a case by case basis as auras by the skin modding community.

Curious if anyone else would use this or thinks it has any merit.

The Djinn

09-01-2012

I made a thread similar to this...I'd love the same thing.

Color coded...abilities are Blue, for example...and Auto-attack range is yellow-white, like Rengars.

Minkus109

09-01-2012

Under "More Options" there's already a toggle option for "Smartcast Range Indicators" which causes it to show the range of your abilities exactly like if you didn't have smartcast on for as long as you hold the button. If you right click it cancels the cast. Basically it makes it like playing without smartcast on, but saving you the click on the target.

DimensionWarped

11-17-2012

I think what he's requesting is actually a little more elaborate than 'smartcast range indicators' which only shows the range of abilities while actually holding the key for whichever smartcast thing you are doing.

I think what is requested here is a constant indicator of any skill you have toggled to show range without having to push the skill key.

One thing I think would be more or less a trivial addition which would be greatly helpful for ranged champions is to just add an option to show an autoattack range indicator circle in white, yellow, or grey that sticks around constantly. That way you could stand at appropriate ranges to do things like harass enemy minions. It'd also be nice if we could see the same data for enemy champions as well... though that might be somewhat bad for sneaky champions since such things would be visible as soon as a champion becomes visible making map awareness slightly less important. I don't know how Riot feels about that though since it would still be strictly an interface change that makes data you already should have more available to you.

GrizlakMonger

11-19-2012

@Riot ^This would be a neat feature.

Another good feature related to smart casting would be the ability to quickly toggle smart cast on and off on individual ability at the start of the game that doesn't involve going into options and rebinding all the keys. Something like holding alt or shift while clicking on the ability icons. And you can make the icon kind depress or pop out graphically to let you know which skills you have on smart cast. For example, with graves I'd like to have smoke screen and quickdraw be smart cast, but keep buckshot and ultimate in normal mode. Right now I just use the shift key because I don't want to have to go into options at the start of the game when you're already heading out to guard against invades. It would be much easier to just quickly right click or shift click on whichever 4 abilities I want smart casted. If not this, then it would be nice to have the option to rebind keys during champion select while doing runes and masteries. The key problem I run into when using the shift key to smart cast, is that sometimes I'll be spamming right click to run away and dodge skill shots, then try to smart cast quickdraw a hair to soon. Now I attack move (shift-right click) instead of quick drawing. I turn to shoot the pursuing enemy and die. I know, I should be more mindful of the cooldown, but still, I want to be able to just put certain skills on smart cast on a champion-by-champion basis.

GrizlakMonger

11-19-2012

Also Riot, if you don't like the idea of permanent auto attack range indicators or overlapping indicators for spells because you think it takes some of the skill of knowing your champion out, at least make it an option in custom and bot games, or even in normal games where it doesn't actually competitively count for anything. That way we can at least practice with the range indicators in a setting where no elo is on the line and get used to the ranges of a champion.