Shen, Tips on items and runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jaegermeifter

08-31-2012

I would say im a ... "average" solo que player, but im a pretty badass duo que as well.

So i decided to get this ALWAYS banned champ, hes officaly my 101th champ now, and i need to give him some attention.

For runes i've went:

Marks:
6 Greater Mark of Alacrity (10% Attack Speed )
3 Greater Mark of Resilience ( 2.7 Armor )

Seals:
9 Greater Seal of Resilience ( 17 Armor )

Glyphs:
9 Greater Glyphs of Shielding ( 24 Mr at lvl 18 )

Quintessences:
2 Greater Quintessence of Swiftness (3.0% Move Speed)
1 Greater Quintessence of Resilience ( 4.26 Armor )

With my masteries ( 0-21-9 ), i have the grand total of:

+26 Armor
+6 Mr
+24 Mr at lvl 18
+10% Attack Speed
3% damage reduction from AoE abilities.
1.5% damage reduction
5% move speed increase ( 8% move speed above 70% hp )
+3% hp increase and reduce duration of disables by 10%

Sounds very tanky and mobile imo.

For summoner spells, im guessing on Heal/Exhaust, with Teleport/Ghost.

Items, im guessing Dorans Sheild, then my boots of choice ( Merc Treds or Ninja Tabs, depending on team comp ), then Heart of Gold for future Randiums, then followed up by a Sunfirecape. After that im not too sure what to get ( Probley Guardian Angel and Warmogs like most tanks. )

Im not saying this is the best, or will work, ive actually never played Shen, so im open to ALL suggestions and will take them into account.

FaerellG

09-01-2012

Your runes are good, but I would shift masteries to 9/21/0 or 8/21/1
Shen's movespeed isn't that bad. You make better use out of Ghost and Exhaust than you do flash.
The attack speed and armor pen is great on Shen as well as you're auto attacking alot.

BloodraiderX

09-01-2012

biggest tip from me. never play shen without friends. cant tell you how many times ive pop my ulti and the friendly champ freaks out and runs.....

Jaegermeifter

09-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodraiderX View Post
biggest tip from me. never play shen without friends. cant tell you how many times ive pop my ulti and the friendly champ freaks out and runs.....

Haha, ive seen that happend alot when Diana first came out, people that that shens ult was one of her moves.

and @FaerellG, you think the armor pen + attack speed in the offensive tree, will be more helfull than the movespeed increase in uitlity? If so, i could drop my two Move Speed quins for two Armor Pen quins, or Attack Speed quins.

FaerellG

09-01-2012

I personally run MS quints because I jungle with Shen and he needs that extra bit of MS when ganking, but he also needs AS and damage enhancers (armor pen) to clear camps faster, so I pack that in the 9 offense.

I don't do much solo top these days, it's my worst role. So after thinking about it, it may not be the best idea to switch things around as I suggested. I suggest messing around with the build a bit and see if you notice a real difference when you trade MS for more offense in your runes/masteries.

Habimaru

09-01-2012

I believe Shen can be played three ways:
Solo-Top/Duo-Top/Tank
Jungler/Tank
Support/Tank

Each of those roles will use different runes/masteries.

When I use Shen as a Solo-Top I'll usually put more points into the Offensive-Tree Mastery (and I agree with the summoner-spells of Ghost/Teleport).

When I use Shen as a Jungler...I will use a Jungler's Masteries (most points are in Defensive)...with Heal/Smite (sometimes Revive/Smite but if it's non-bots/non-Co-Op you'll likely have complaining team-mates for picking Revive).

When I use Shen as a Support I will use Shen-Specific Support-Masteries (most points are in Utility) and a Support Rune-Set (with the Gold-Per-Time Runes and all).

Unlike other players, I use Energy Regen-Per-Level Seals/Quintessences, Double-Penetration Marks and Cool-Down-Per-Level Glyphs (partly because it lets me use Shen's abilities more frequently...I believe it's very important when going Jungle-Shen in particular).

I believe Shen is a very versatile Champion and an EXCELLENT choice for the Twisted Tree-Line Map (and for Dominion). For that matter... Shen is an excellent choice for just about any team that can dish out damage quickly regardless of map.

One time I used Shen in the Twisted Tree-Line, got a full build by end-game, and was so tanky that I could practically get triples on my own 1vs3 (both teams were full-build) with still at least half of my health remaining (then I could tank the turret & just keep hitting it & only be brought down to half health whilst whacking the turret until it was destroyed).

I don't exactly remember which specific masteries I was using at that time, possibly 00/30/00 (because I was also using Heal/Revive as spells), but my Runes were Double-Penetration Marks/Energy-Regen-Per-Level-Seals/Cool-Down-Per-Level-Glyphs/Energy-Regen-Quintessences, and the health-bar-meter showed something like 285 health-regen-per-5 (I know it was a really high number, possibly 400+, but I don't remember specifically since this match was quite some time ago).

A note on Jungle-Shen: Don't go the attack-speed route (it sucks, I've tried it, and the Double-Penetration/Energy-Regen route is a lot better, and faster, and lets you clear the whole entire jungle & still have full-health remaining, unlike the attack-speed set). I should probably write a proper Jungle-Shen guide one of these days since none of the results from the search-engines has yielded anything satisfactory for me to read thus far (for Jungle-Shen anyway... although some great guides exist for Top-Solo Ninja-Shen).

Anyway, that is just my brief description of some of Shen's versatility, a great champion over-all, and my end-game build is typically: Mercury's Treads (occasionally Ninja-Tabi if enemy team-comp is all AD) + Randuin's Omen (always a Core-Item for Shen) + Sunfire Cape (Shen's passive minion-farming tool) + Warmog's Armour (for more health & health-regen) + Force of Nature (sometime's I'll stack two of these instead of getting a Warmog's Armour if I want a lot of combined movement-speed & magic-resist & it also has good health-regeneration) + Guardian Angel (sometimes I skip this for another Warmog's or Force of Nature if it feels like dying is next to impossible due to the amount of tankiness built up by end-game).

And, also, just for a last-note reference: I tend to have a much different play-style than most people, but it does work for me to use these non-standard/uncommon Runes/Masteries, and perhaps it just goes to show the amount of versatility that is Ninja-Shen...

EDIT: Movement-Speed Quintessences are probably better for Shen but on the other hand, with more Energy Regeneration, you could use the Taunt to Dash more frequently too, without necessarily being out-of-energy for as long as without, but Taunt still uses up a lot of energy & should thus still only be used sparingly if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightmare Pk View Post
Marks:
6 Greater Mark of Alacrity (10% Attack Speed )
3 Greater Mark of Resilience ( 2.7 Armor )

Seals:
9 Greater Seal of Resilience ( 17 Armor )

Glyphs:
9 Greater Glyphs of Shielding ( 24 Mr at lvl 18 )

Quintessences:
2 Greater Quintessence of Swiftness (3.0% Move Speed)
1 Greater Quintessence of Resilience ( 4.26 Armor )

With my masteries ( 0-21-9 ), i have the grand total of:

+26 Armor
+6 Mr
+24 Mr at lvl 18
+10% Attack Speed
3% damage reduction from AoE abilities.
1.5% damage reduction
5% move speed increase ( 8% move speed above 70% hp )
+3% hp increase and reduce duration of disables by 10%

Sounds very tanky and mobile imo.

For summoner spells, im guessing on Heal/Exhaust, with Teleport/Ghost.

Items, im guessing Dorans Sheild, then my boots of choice ( Merc Treds or Ninja Tabs, depending on team comp ), then Heart of Gold for future Randiums, then followed up by a Sunfirecape. After that im not too sure what to get ( Probley Guardian Angel and Warmogs like most tanks. )

Im not saying this is the best, or will work, ive actually never played Shen, so im open to ALL suggestions and will take them into account.
(Post-Tracking: Habimaru)

Edit #2: Shen deals mostly Magic-Damage, NOT Physical, with the Grid to show this as an attachment (yeah, I know it was only Co-Op/Intermediate, but it's just for demonstration-purposes & to show why you don't want to focus so much on attack-speed when most of Shen's damage comes from his abilities & Sunfire-Cape).

http://i.imgur.com/tFi5u.jpg (Grid-Numbers)
http://i.imgur.com/g2uVs.jpg (Over-View Numbers/Builds)

MekLeN

09-16-2013

Habimaru,

thank you for the EXCELLENT response!

I know this is outdated, but there's so much Experience, Research, and Optimism in this to carry me further still

Using your Work, i intend to make a killer current Shen.

I've searched goog and found this to be the most awesome of all 3's shen
Thank You.