FarahBoom Artwork Tutorial!!!

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FarahBoom

08-30-2012

Deviant Art Link for those who want it - http://farahboom.deviantart.com/
Hello one and all!

I am FarahBoom and i have been doing artwork for other summoners for a few months now and i have been asked by a few of my fans over this time to make a tutorial about how i go about making my work. So if you want to learn how to draw your own champions with some real impact pay close attention!
All of my examples below are with the work of graphite, scanning, and Photoshop CS5.

First of all, have a clear understanding of what your champion/character looks like. You cannot make a convincing design for others to enjoy if you yourself do not understand your character inside and out.

Keeping your lines very loose while intially drawing your character can help you quickly find the scale of the body that you want. For example, if your character has very large arms but a smaller body, then it's very important to show that, so be sure those arms are big enough! One rule that people often forget is DON'T EVER DRAW DETAIL BEFORE IT'S NECESSARY!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's fun to start drawing a persons face but if you draw a great looking face but then there isn't enough space for the full body, guess what? You gotta erase that face you worked so hard on OR start allllll over. So just avoid that at all costs. Details are meant for when you know exactly what your doing.

Drawing, drawing again, and re-drawing is so important to fully realizing how your character looks and how their outfit works with their body. As you can see below, lass's design changed greatly as i drew her again and again to realize how she should look and if you look carefully, each piece of her outfit is clearly realized as to where it goes and why.
Attachment 519070 Attachment 519071 Attachment 519094 Attachment 519095

After this point, a good idea is to create a more detailed concept design of your champion

Attachment 519074 --->Attachment 519073 Attachment 519090

By using only black and white colors in photoshop (or whatever tools you choose) you can better understand skin (or fur) value as opposed to their jacket or other details. By doing this you can understand each piece of your character clearly.
It's also CRUCIAL that you don't let objects of importance get lost. For example, in the cover below all the stone armor varies enough in value to see that each section is seperate but close enough in value to see that they are made of the same material.
Attachment 519075

Here's a basic breakdown of the steps you should take when creating your characters...

Start with doodles, these are ONLY for you to understand the basics that you want for your character.
Attachment 519077 Attachment 519080 Attachment 519079

Now that you get a feel for your champion, you can move on to detailing his/her look further. Add key items to their costume that make sense to who they are. No archer is going to have huge clunky armor. And no swordsman will be naked.
Attachment 519081 Attachment 519082 Attachment 519083

Now that we can clearly see who this young man is, it's time to bring him to life. Don't think that you will get a perfect look on your first shot, it rarely rarely RARELY happens.
In the piece below i began to guess and ask myself "what colors define him, is he evil? or just rebelious? A good guy? Should his jacket be dark and ominous, or should his face be his key?" These are very important questions to ask yourself because your character needs to LIVE off the page. Don't be embarrassed to act as your character (just close your door lol). Think how your character would act, snotty? Cocky? Coy? Begin to visualize their actions while attacking and you will soon learn what will make or break your design.
Attachment 519085
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
As you can see, i fouled up here. He has no indication of his emotions on his face nor does his position really show his power or demeanor.

Attachment 519086
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now this is what im talking about, he has really come to life here, his face shows his cockiness and his stance shows confidence and a young man without fear, and his ability is VERY noticeable. It doesnt matter how cool your character is if no one understands who they are.

Here is detailed guide about how i am going about making a graphic cover of Viktor for a commission.

Step 1: Attachment 521563
Beginning with a very light and loose sketch i can get a decent idea on where the body part go and why they go that way, make sure that the proportions of the body and the pose makes sense to how the human body will work. Try standing in that pose and see if you actually can, if you cannot well then you need to try shifting some weight in the pose but you will get it quickly.

Step 2: Attachment 521564
By adding another layer in photoshop, i can draw over the light sketch with a perfect clean line art and make the final posing decisions of his/her body is the way i want. This layer is very important so don't lose it. If you are doing a physical painting this is the point where you clean up your lines by erasing and make sure only the lines you want are the visible ones. Excessive lines can greatly screw up when you go to lay down your primary tones.

Step 3: Attachment 521565
Now this is the important part. Your colors and value must be correct, make sure to add a background color that is atleast close to the color your want in the end. For example, if you want a night scene, throw some dark gray or deep brown. By doing this, this is how you will make proper color decisions for your subject. If you subject color is too light it will stand out WAY to much. Remember, it is MUCH easier to lighten colors than darken them in the end.

Step 4: Attachment 521774
In this step, this is where you begin to shade and highlight a bit, not too much though, this is just to give a solid understanding of how your lighting situation will work, aka where is your light source coming from? This is important to making sure you make a piece that makes total sense and is appealing to the eye. Something as simple as poor light setup can really ruin the way a painting looks. Dont worry too much at this step to add what color the highlights will be (for example if you have sun light or moonlight or blue light or red light). This step is just to know where the highlights go, not what color they will be.

Step 5: Attachment 521846
In this step, i like to reduce the opacity of the clean line art layer to about 20%. Its enough to not be a visual eye sore, but enough to see to check yourself where the color boundaries are. As you can see here - Attachment 521848 A close up of the piece will show how it looks when you reduce opacity. This is the point where you will now clean the lines to be crisp and sharp, i started a bit on the top of the shoulder.

Step 6: Attachment 521924
Now after you have cleaned up your lines and made sure everything is where it's supposed to be, you can begin detailing. Don't focus too much on one area though, be sure to get a little detail around the area your working on to be sure your values and colors are still working together. Once you begin this stage it's important you understand what your working on. By this, i mean what is the material? Metal, wood, plastic, glass, cloth? This is important because you need to make sure your materials work well with what your trying to communicate. Metal will pick up colors from the surrounding areas because it is reflective, so be sure to add just a little bit of those colors into the metal aswell as lots of light reflection if it calls for it.

Step 7: Attachment 522011
On this step continue to pick out your work areas and keep detailing slowly. Be sure that materials that are the same will still look and feel the same. As you can see in Viktors wrist guard and waist guards, they are the same material but different in value so they look to be separate but similar in material. The gold trims are very important aswell. Without proper placement of shine and gradation you will lose the feel of metallic shine. At this point you could begin to shift your values into the color scheme of the light source but don't worry about it to much since with the use of 'overlay' you can create that effect later on and really hone it in.

Step 8: Attachment 522045
Now in this step i began to make the lightning pulse between his hands. Using the 'Color Dodge' option you can make a very fast and simple lightning effect. At this point, you can begin to alter your colors on the body to reflect the blue lighting effect. By still using the color dodge tool you can go over small sections of metal to really make them look like the lightning is being reflected. Be careful with cloth though since it won't shine out as much as metal will. Metal for the most part will reflect the color of the light, as opposed to cloth were it will mix the color to a point. This does not mean a blue light on red clothes will make a strong purple, but it will have a purple influence in most cases if the light is strong enough.

Step 9: Attachment 522058
Now bring together all the values and effects that you want and make any final highlight decisions you want. Congratulations, if you followed this very basic step by step tutorial, you have made an art piece that is visually appealing!

Creating Comic Scenes:

Here is this section ill show simple ways to make a comic panel that will stand out.

Attachment 526266
In this stage, you basically want to keep a loose drawing to give yourself an idea of what you want the panel to look like. Once you know, you can begin to outline the exact lines you want from your previous sketch. Remember, for a comic scene, you have to communicate the idea completely since it's a story you are telling from frame to frame.

Attachment 526267
In this scene i am building, you can see Garen handing off a note to the viewer (as in my Misha Lore) This is only a start but by using dramatic lighting and an elongated pose you can give it some impact.

I hope this is helpful to all of the summoners out there wanting to learn how to bring their characters alive and i want to thank all of my fans for taking such a liking to my work and asking so much of me, it really keeps me going every day knowing that i am doing what i love and sharing it with the community.

If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask below, no question is stupid.

Éidolon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2012

Great Tutorial, Great Examples. Pin-worthy post.

Éidolon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2012

and of course... amazing artwork. *Thumbs Up* ^^

Éidolon

08-30-2012

You should add what technology and material is required to piece the end-product together.

Askelon

08-30-2012

great work and this is very helpful

FarahBoom

08-30-2012

Glad you guys found it helpful

Pirateelfdog

08-30-2012

Hope this gets stickied...it deserves it.

FarahBoom

08-31-2012

ill update this soon with more details

FarahBoom

09-01-2012

bump

BergMeister

09-01-2012

very nice farah. This is really great. Now all we need is people to look at it and take the advice :P

12345 ... 8