Katarina + Hextech Gunblade

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sidequests

08-30-2012

So I haven't played Katarina in ages, and recently decided I'd start to give her a whirl again
Had a lot of fun playing her so I want to use her a bit more
But I've read in a few places to not bother with Gunblade anymore?
Is this right?
Should I just go something along the lines of Abyssal + Deathcap + Rylais?
Or is Gunblade still a strong item for her?

ExecutionerK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-30-2012

Gunblade is usually better

Requirementz

08-30-2012

When I play her I usually get Hextech Revolver + Giant Belt + Gunblade + Rylais + whatever I want.

Sir KickBan

08-30-2012

I've found that while a revolver is a core item for her, the gunblade doesn't add nearly as much to your build anymore, to the point that if I get it at all, it's my last item.

Priority goes to revolver, sorc shoes, rylai's; then, in whatever order seems reasonable at the time, Rabadons, Abyssal and either a Zhonyas or a Rod of Ages, depending on whether or not I need armor or health more (wasted stats from the ROA, I know, but if I'm fed enough i can afford the waste). After all those are done I get a WOTA, unless I have some pressing need for AD, or we've already got two WOTAs, in which case I go gunblade.

Cenerae

08-30-2012

Gunblade doesn't add as much damage to Kat as it used to.

The revolver is still a great first purchase, and eventually you will want to upgrade it to a gunblade anyway, but a cap offers more raw damage now, and after a cap you'll probably want an hourglass, abyssal, or maybe a void staff. So the gunblade kinda falls down on the priority list.

acosn

08-30-2012

HTGB isn't nearly as useful as it used to be.

Rylai's is generally a better all around item that helps Kat secure kills.

Your bread and butter DPS is a pure AP build now.

Cenerae

08-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosn View Post
HTGB isn't nearly as useful as it used to be.

Rylai's is generally a better all around item that helps Kat secure kills.

Your bread and butter DPS is a pure AP build now.
Rylai's is overrated on Kat.

It was overrated on the old Kat too. You jump in, get a kill or assist and immediately start spamming shunpo and your other spells everywhere. During this you either die to focus fire or kill everything. There's simply no point in getting an item to help you chase given her kit encourages an all-in style and incorporates a blink skill and movespeed buff to boot.

I mean okay, if you feel you really need the health it's the best AP option available, but her kit secures the kills, Rylai's slow doesn't do much.

Armageddal

08-31-2012

It depends somewhat on what you're doing with her. I don't know as much about the normal Katarina build (burst assassin). I know that she does scale more with AP now, but the 3.0 bonus AD ratio on her ult still makes the Gunblade an attract choice, especially with the strong slow to keep your target in your ultimate range.

I've been working on a build for jungling Katarina. It's a hybrid build which takes advantage of the new Sinister Steel ability, along with her very short cooldowns. For that build, the Gunblade is still core, since you'll want the AD, slow, and sustain for the jungle.