Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tips For Solo Top

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jarlaxle

08-30-2012

So i usually go mid or bot when i play, but sometimes i have to go top when other positions are filled. Problem is i kinda suck at solo top. I think it's being so close to the other player that holds me back.
So any tips on how to improve performance on top lane? I usually do alright with Malphite and Riven.
Thanks in advance!

iAmillMatic

08-31-2012

Well, for me, i usually solo top with fiora, or wukong. Once in a blue moon with katarina (shes not the best imo). my advice is

1) dont push too hard and stay closer to their turrent. since its 1v2/1v1 top, its very easy to get ganked when you push too far. use this as an advantage too. allow them to push and call a gank once in a while

2) TURRENT HUG IS ONE OF THE BEST THINGS TO DO. Since your soloing top, your prone to getting killed easily. it is more safe to chill at the turrent and harrass the enemy when they get close. *

3) Farming is very important. since your soloing use that to your advantages to level quick.

4) harass when you have the chance, once you *KNOW* you can get the kill, go for it. but dont always turrent dive for a kill. remember your soloing top and if you fail, they can push the lane more at ease.

5) wards are your best friend. ive seen people place wards on all 3 bushes, but i fine just putting one near the lake the best. it will HOPEFULLY, (if ya not blind), prevent successful ganks from occuring.

hope i helped.

Friesguy

08-31-2012

Get Gangplank. He's great for people learning to solo top. Has some of the best level 1 stats in the game, and his Q is excellent for farming from mid range and poking once you have sheen. His W insta-clears stuns and snares, and is downright useful. His ult is also good for when a jungler comes to gank. He's not viable in competitive play, but mashes in blind picks.

I was awful playing Riven solo top, but after playing GP, I got a lot better. Very weird.

Jarlaxle

08-31-2012

Quote:
friesguy:
Get Gangplank. He's great for people learning to solo top. Has some of the best level 1 stats in the game, and his Q is excellent for farming from mid range and poking once you have sheen.

So really you farm with GP, but then just Q them at every opportunity since they usually can't retaliate? Sounds good to me.

vortical42

08-31-2012

Quote:
friesguy:
Get Gangplank. He's great for people learning to solo top. Has some of the best level 1 stats in the game, and his Q is excellent for farming from mid range and poking once you have sheen. His W insta-clears stuns and snares, and is downright useful. His ult is also good for when a jungler comes to gank. He's not viable in competitive play, but mashes in blind picks.

I was awful playing Riven solo top, but after playing GP, I got a lot better. Very weird.

Not sure I would use GP anymore. I love playing as him, but the high mana cost of parley makes it hard to farm effectively without blue buff. Also, there are just too many characters that shut him down hard right now.

Part of the key to being effective top comes before the game ever starts. Counter picking is much more important in the solo lanes, especially top. If you are first or second pick, you don't want to lock in Jax only to see the enemy pick teemo or vlad against you. If you are high in the pick order, ask someone on your team to pick up the champion you want and switch with them.

You also need to learn how to identify who on the enemy team is likely to be top and what characters are good against them.

mrgoogls

08-31-2012

well, it really just come from practice. i main solo top. i started out TERRIBLE when i mained mid. but i thought it was fun so i kept doing it. now i win about 70%(my lane that is, not the game) of the time. you can also watch high ELO players that go top on streams and stuff and learn how they do it. although i think just practic is better. i think olaf is very good for learning. he is tanky so you dont die very fast but deals a ton of dmg. easy to last hit with and can harrass a lot. just stand by enemy caster minions(run to get last hits of course.) and when they run up to last hit just E them. i max E 1st so it does a ton. if you like to max Q 1st do the same thing just with Q. he is also hard to gank because you avoid all cc with your ult. try him out. get a build you like. and if you like olaf keep practicing with him. once you have mastered him, find a solo top champ and repeat.

Friesguy

08-31-2012

Quote:
vortical42:
Not sure I would use GP anymore. I love playing as him, but the high mana cost of parley makes it hard to farm effectively without blue buff. Also, there are just too many characters that shut him down hard right now.

Parley's mana cost is 40, and half of it gets replenished if you kill something (IE a minion). So Parley's mana cost is not a good excuse at all. I also said he's good for learning how to solo top, not that he's the best at soloing top. He's good for most blind picks, and it's tough to flat out shut him down since he can farm at range with Q. Would I recommend him for ranked? Probably not, but I think I;ve said this three times now, he's good for blind pick.

And OP, since you're learning solo top, play very tanky champs or champs with good escapes. You'll be able to learn when to do things and when you should back off, and you won't cost your team the lane.

Jax is also a good solo top, and as an above poster said, Olaf is also very good.

EDIT: And don't harass with Q on GP until you've gotten Sheen. Q should mainly be for farming or when the jungler ganks before you get Sheen.