Low elo ranked help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

trapnasty

08-30-2012

I've been playing League for about 6 months now off and on. I just hit 30 maybe a month and a half ago. The friends I play with are 1700+ and when we play ranked, I do rather well considering my low elo (1k lul). But when I play SoloQueue I usually get: A: a troll. B: a disconnect. and/or C: Someone who feeds their lane.
My best lanes are solo top and mid, my question is, what are the best champions in those lanes to carry out of this elo. I can also adc, but not my best role to play.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Lethadind

08-30-2012

First off, it is actually quite easy to keep up with a team that is doing well, even if you aren't as skilled as them, because they end up feeding you. Getting into the mindset that you belong in 1700+ ELO because you have a team of friends that's there is dangerous.

Trolls are honestly easily handled in my opinion. From the beginning let everyone know you'll take any role that's needed, and just do your best to be comical. Just by seeing someone who wants to work with the team will raise the morale of your teammates. It's sounds super stupid, but I've seen it work dozens of times. Plus not "expecting" a role puts you in a different mood - that of a carry (you're going to do what needs to be done to win the game, etc.) - so you actually play better.

Disconnects can't be helped, but you can honestly still win games 4v5. It takes great coordination, but it can still be done - especially if everyone's mindset is "We're gonna win this damn game." Often the other team's mindset is "Wow, ha, we win."

Trolls and disconnects aren't nearly as common as people think they are.

My advice is level up another account to at least level 20, focusing on learning jungle, adc, and support. Jungle and mid have the most effect on the game early game, and they are the best lanes to take to stop a lane from feeding (because they are the most available to the lanes, ergo can roam and shut a fed champ down while feeding their ally (as a jungle let your ally get the kills for most of your ganks, if not all)).

There is no quick and easy method to carry out of your ELO. You need practice, and the best way to get it (because you see progress, which inspires you to continue) is by leveling another account. Play draft mode as soon as you have enough champions on the new account, as draft mode mostly follows ranked playstyle and the meta. Also, I would buy different champions than what's on your main (do not, under any circumstances, buy your "favorite champ" on your new account, as you will always be tempted to use them), so you can A) Learn how to play a variety of champs, B) learn how to counter more champs, and C) Learn and understand a variety of different playstyles (seems similar to A, and it is, but they aren't the same thing).

I promise you this will do FAR more for raising your ELO than picking a certain champion to carry you out. If you're stuck on champions that can carry you out, you want to pick champions that have great late-game potential while not suffering too much early game. Karthus is one that I've seen used mid. He suffers early game because he's so damn easy to kill, but he farms incredibly well, so he can catch up late game and basically destroys their team single-handedly. He's also great at ganking with his wall and his ability spam plus his AoE. I haven't used him personally, but I've seen him used to raise ELO and I've heard it was effective.

Top has the least effect on the game, unfortunately. I would say even less than support, though don't quote me (the effect on the game is, after all, a matter of opinion after looking at evidence). Most tops are bruisers, and while necessary, they can't really do much to determine the outcome of the game. Bruisers aren't focused and they don't do much damage anyway, and they don't have much early game potential because they simply don't have access to lanes to gank very well - despite the fact that most of them are also junglers. I would say picking a top lane that has massive amounts of useful hard cc would be your best bet. Champs like Xin or Kennen don't really fall off late game because of their usefulness with their CC and displacement.

Again though, practice will do you more good than a new champ. Also, don't start ranked playing a new champ. Play at least 20 games with a champ before going into ranked with them.

Good luck.

ProPlayerEd

08-30-2012

I just want to say that you might just need to play more ranked games.

You've only played 31 so you only just began your journey.

When you first play rank, you will prolly get raped, BUT you start to learn!

You have to commit to playing ranked all the time to reach a better elo like your friends.

I have tons of friends who were under 1200 but after playing about 100 more games, they are now Gold ranked as they kept on going.

I hope this somewhat helps even though it wasn't what you asked for xD

GL and HF in Ranked and may god have mercy on your soul.

Ootter

08-30-2012

If you only want to play top and mid, you will already be causing a problem. If you really feel your true elo is higher than 1000 you should try and fill any role that needs it since you should be the better team mate on the team.

That being said it would make since to me that any champ that can play top or mid, that can also roam decently will be able to effect all lanes and therefor with your superior skills help the team better, that is assuming you really have a higher skill than the people you are playing with and against.

Syrius

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

Accept any role

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-15-2012

"But when I play SoloQueue I usually get: A: a troll. B: a disconnect. and/or C: Someone who feeds their lane. "

So does the other team - it's really about even chances for each team to have the worst situation with that(actually, it's in your favor, assuming you don't troll, d/c, or feed, because then there's an only 4 chances for it happening on your team, and 5 on the other).

Learn all roles, especially support and jungle. For some reason, everyone always wants to play top and mid, so support and jungle are most frequently open. Be able to fill your teamcomp, rather then causing conflict by only accepting two roles.

One more thing it might be worth doing - play unranked for awhile. I know you're level 30, and you want to play ranked, but that's not always the best idea. It's what I did, and I dropped to 750. Now I'm back with alot more champions, better runes, and a much better knowledge of the game, but climbing back out is still giving me trouble.

Having those extra assets will help prevent you from falling that low in the first place.