The Global Mana Bar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zzilb

09-19-2010

Howdy.
I spent a few hours paying a little too much attention to profile details recently, as you may know. Its remarkable what you can learn. In this thread, I thought to share a few insights that may interest my fellow Lore Forum denizens, assuming the nyquil leave me drooling on my keyboard.

The most interesting thing I picked up was this change in Karthus' lore.
Originally, it read "The vast quantities of magical energy that have been released during Valoran's numerous Rune Wars have scarred much of Valoran.

His updated lore, on the other hand, reads "The vast quantities of physical magic that were consumed and destroyed during Valoran's numerous Rune Wars have scarred much of Valoran."

This couples with "The Academy of Science and Progress in Piltover, founded by League champion Heimerdinger, contributes a hefty portion of its budget to the Runeterran Regeneration Project. Students involved with the project are challenged to find creative new ways to optimize the efficiency of magic." --and other things on that subject to paint a new image of what magic is in Valoran. It is a precious resource, and forces like Zaun probably bleed it drier every day. To be a powerful sorcerer is not to have unlimited power. Its basically saying theres a global mana bar, and the five Rune Wars drained it pretty badly.

Now.. Tieing into this, we have a lot about other worlds outside Runeterra. Kayle's biography declares not only that she is an immortal many thousands of years old, but that somehow Morgana needed the magics of the Summoners to gain an advantage. .. 10,000 years, but Kayle and Morganna had nothing similar to nor greater than the magic of Valoran? Can you pause to imagine how long that is? Next we have Olaf, whos homeland was nothing like as stuffed full of powerful mages, yet seems to exist somewhere on the same planet. Not a single city state of Valoran failed to have great mages of some sort.

How curious!
I can only conclude that Valoran and the amount of magic the Summoners are accustomed to is very, very unique, yet here they are swimming in it like fish, using it to fuel their horrible earth-bending wars and basing their every modern advancement on it. That mana bar not only defined their past via Rune Wars, but the existance of it defined the future and everything that they are. It is important enough to war over.

Baba mentioned in this post that Piltover needed more story. Im calling it right now; This magical economy stuff will define the conflict between Pilt and their extremely disastrous neighbors; Zaun.

Masonry

09-20-2010

interesting concept.

But as is stated by the real worlds great Einstein energy can be neither created or destroyed only changed from one type to another. So the magic is probably still there in the world it is just in different forms and most of it was changed from pure magic or whatever into magical nukes during the Rune Wars. So the concept of a global mana bar can be a correct metaphor for even the real world not just fictional ones because there is only so much energy available to anyone at any one period of time because it's all shared.

Now the world of Valorian is probably slowly refilling its own magic bar metaphorically speaking. Its kind of like how earth is running out of fossil fuels (oil) but in truth the earth will always have oil and is still making more. It just takes millions of years and the oil is being used far faster than the earth could ever replenish it. Kind of what probably happend to Runeterra durring the rune wars it was used until they almost used it all up but magic, unlike oil in the Runeterra world, holds its very existence together so if the Global mana bar ever did run out poof no more Runeterra.

Now in most fictional worlds where there is mana or magic all around it is usually funneled into lay lines of magical power and these lay lines pool into certan areas. On Runeterra these pools are probably the places where nexuses can be built (or apear what ever those things origins are.) Valorian is probably just the central hub of most of Runeterra's lay lines.

Wow this was a lot of nerdy speculation.

Kuranith

09-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonry View Post
interesting concept.

But as is stated by the real worlds great Einstein energy can be neither created or destroyed only changed from one type to another. So the magic is probably still there in the world it is just in different forms and most of it was changed from pure magic or whatever into magical nukes during the Rune Wars. So the concept of a global mana bar can be a correct metaphor for even the real world not just fictional ones because there is only so much energy available to anyone at any one period of time because it's all shared.

Now the world of Valorian is probably slowly refilling its own magic bar metaphorically speaking. Its kind of like how earth is running out of fossil fuels (oil) but in truth the earth will always have oil and is still making more. It just takes millions of years and the oil is being used far faster than the earth could ever replenish it. Kind of what probably happend to Runeterra durring the rune wars it was used until they almost used it all up but magic, unlike oil in the Runeterra world, holds its very existence together so if the Global mana bar ever did run out poof no more Runeterra.

Now in most fictional worlds where there is mana or magic all around it is usually funneled into lay lines of magical power and these lay lines pool into certan areas. On Runeterra these pools are probably the places where nexuses can be built (or apear what ever those things origins are.) Valorian is probably just the central hub of most of Runeterra's lay lines.

It mentions nexuses are a little "mine" of energy. So, the nexuses are like oil areas, and are actively generating the mana. They have a set amount, which is evidently replenished over time, so they cant completely "run out" as far as i can tell.

bobarabara

09-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonry View Post
interesting concept.

Also a lot of the magic used in the rune wars is being transferred into beings like fiddlesticks, or being used to create a rift into the void.
The primary magic that is used is in rune form correct? So it would make sense that you can mine them

Draken Frosthand

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-22-2010

When I look at the Nexus ingame, at the start of a match, I can't hope but have my attention drawn to that "hatch" at the center, right bellow the floating gem.

Then, the gem starts to gravitate towards the hatch as the match begins, and then closes it (before lifting itself back up again a bit).

When I see that, I can't hope but think of the Nexus as both a natural structure, a vespene geyser, with an artificial harnesser over it. Which the Kalamanda storyline seens to indicate as well.

It is a valid idea, that there is a global mana bar (not a new one, see: Dark Sun: using magic drains plantlife; Forgotten Realms: Weave; Warcraft: Ley Lines).

Onto "where the magic went?" it is probably spilled out of the "magic bloodstream" and into the surrounding world (Voodo Lands, Kumungo Jungle, Howling Marsh, Icathia, Zaun), like a hemorrhage.