How can I get good at this game. Seriously need help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-30-2012

There is a ton to get good at in this game. I find focusing on tightening up one area of my game play at a time really helps. If you know you're weak at CS, then set a goal for yourself of X CS by 10 minutes, by 20 minutes, etc to help you focus on learning that skill. If you know you're bad at warding, then stick a note to the bottom of your screen reminding you to buy wards. It's not that good players excel beyond all others in one area. It's that they pay attention to the little things and snowball from taking care of all the details.

acosn

08-30-2012

You don't get better by playing the game. It has a fairly shallow skill curve for most champions, and the ELO system is designed like a skinner's box to just keep you playing against other people at your skill level- not only do you have no reason to get better off of the game itself, it wants you to become complacent.

And at any rate, 200 games played is fairly tame.

Zeryz

08-30-2012

Watch some streams then think about what you are doing differently from the people streaming (When they do good of couse xP)
Look up builds for champs before playing them, sometimes the suggested items aren't the best choices.
Read some guides, not just for specific champs but just in general of how to play.
Also think that you are playing vs other people that are also trying to win and will also make mistakes
http://clgaming.net
Its Counter Logic Gaming's website but there are other streamers on it too.
Also remember this is a GAME don't get all worked up because you lose some matches.
Rune trees are pretty important also which you do not have.

vortical42

08-31-2012

If you have some time, try to catch some of the live streams of the Pro Tourneys. Season 2 is winding down so there should be plenty of Regional finals to watch over the next few months. You aren't going to be able to apply everything you see there since there are a lot of tactics that depend on your teammates. However you should still be able to look for 'strange' things you see the pros doing and try to identify the reasoning behind it. For example lets say you see someone placing a purple ward behind Baron. It might seem like an odd placement (why not ward the front so you can see more of the lane?). Then you watch the game play out and you realize that they are trying to prevent the other team from hiding in the jungle and stealing Baron with a last minute smite. Now you have a new trick that you can apply to your own games.

Watching the pros play gives you a much better feel for not just what the meta is but also WHY it is. Most players have figured out the basic 'solo top, jungle, AP mid, AD/support bot' team composition by level 30. Most don't have any idea though why that arrangement works so well. By watching high level players you get a better sense of what the real tactical objectives are (tip: the dragon isn't just there to look cool). It also let you see some situations where following the 'traditional' meta would put one of the teams at a disadvantage, and what sort of tactic they use to respond to the situation.

KeanuCleaves

08-31-2012

Since you're not very specific, what areas of your game struggle? What roles do you play? What champions?

I think watching high level players play is good - but also I'd focus on doing a few things and doing them well. After you've mastered a role or two, with a couple champions, move on to something else. Repetition is key. Try going to a bot game, and practicing CS. Make CS automatic with a small set of champions but don't push the lane. When you get back to PvP games you shouldn't be missing CS due to champion attack speed animations and such. Also you shouldn't be pushing to turret every time so you get ganked. Make sure you avoid the pitfall of playing only bot games (unless you're totally content playing bots games - in which case more power to you).

There are a lot of things to work on, if your game is really in shambles, start small. Get good at a small set of things, and then build to more. I think a big pitfall is trying to do something exactly like the pros do it on a guide or a stream. They're better than you. Lack the APM to land the skill shots for a super aggressive glass cannon build? Ok cool, avoid that for now, go to an "easy" champion, and build your way up to it.

SerSwollenBalls

06-16-2013

hmm

Kinarchy

06-17-2013

Find a role you really enjoy playing and work on that role. Find a favorite champion you really enjoy playing and would love to play every day, regardless of condition and time. What I find with players, like myself, is that we find a champion who would take on multiple roles, you heard me correctly, multiple roles. Such as Nidalee, she could go Top lane, Mid lane, or Support. Another great example is Gangplank, I seen him Top, Mid, Jungle, and ADC, I rarely see him being a Support. Bottom line is, if you really enjoy playing a certain champion, you would find a way to play him/her.

paShadoWn

06-18-2013

Necro everywhere.