@ Riot - Some basic Nasus tweaks that may help

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MisterWeez

09-01-2012

Bump

King Salomo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2012

I don't play Nasus. For the reasons mentioned in the OP. Good post though, +1, free bump, I'm moving on-

Statikk

Live Balance Designer

09-01-2012
1 of 2 Riot Posts

Hey Hyfe,

Glad to see that you're still an avid Nasus fan and glad you're still posting constructive threads.

I actually got the chance a while back at IEM Hannover to speak to Skyyart -- just about the only competitive Nasus player I've ever seen -- in person. I feel he hit the nail on the head in terms of why Nasus (and any other weak early game Top laners) could no longer be played in high skill environments. This shift occurred, not coincidentally, shortly after the new Masteries were introduced for Season 2.

The flat damage reduction Masteries -- Indomitable and Tough Skin -- completely shake up the dynamics of lane control. They effectively allow players to tank the minions at very little cost which is used to "freeze" the minions position with respect to the lane. What this effectively does is completely zone out the losing lane given them no chance to come back as the creeps will never effectively rebound (reset) to a more neutral position in the lane. This natural rubberband mechanic that existed before is key to keeping lanes from completely snowballing out of control.

In anticipation for Season 3, we are currently testing revamped versions of Indomitable and Tough Skin that do not affect lane minions and we're quite happy with the results thus far. If such changes to the Top Lane case are still not enough to put Nasus in a good spot, we will indeed take a closer look at him in isolation.

I will take it upon myself to go test Nasus internally with these new changes in the coming week. I'm fairly confident it will do wonders for him and his viability.

byrdman77

09-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statikk View Post
Hey Hyfe,

Glad to see that you're still an avid Nasus fan and glad you're still posting constructive threads.

I actually got the chance a while back at IEM Hannover to speak to Skyyart -- just about the only competitive Nasus player I've ever seen -- in person. I feel he hit the nail on the head in terms of why Nasus (and any other weak early game Top laners) could no longer be played in high skill environments. This shift occurred not coincidentally shortly after the new Masteries were introduced for Season 2.

The flat damage reduction Masteries -- Indomitable and Tough Skin -- completely shake up the dynamics of lane control. They effectively allow players to tank the minions at very little cost which is used to "freeze" the minions position with respect to the lane. What this effectively does is completely zone out the losing lane given them no chance to come back as the creeps will never effectively rebound (reset) to a more neutral position in the lane. This natural rubberband mechanic that existed before is key to keeping lanes from completely snowballing out of control.

In anticipation for Season 3, we are currently testing revamped versions of Indomitable and Tough Skin that do not affect lane minions and we're quite happy with the results thus far. If such changes to the Top Lane case are still not enough to put Nasus in a good spot, we will indeed take a closer look at him in isolation.

I will take it upon myself to go test Nasus internally with these new changes in the coming week. I'm fairly confident it will do wonders for him and his viability.
ooo that sounds totally awesome keep up the good ideas Riot! I hate the way top lane snowballs so hard it makes me just want to avoid the lane altogether rather than try to practice my worst position

VMan7

09-01-2012

+1 for Statikk giving feedback to a good thread.

Ixionas

09-01-2012

thanks statikk!

JabaRune

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2012

Quote:
Hey Hyfe,

I actually got the chance a while back at IEM Hannover to speak to Skyyart -- just about the only competitive Nasus player I've ever seen -- in person. I feel he hit the nail on the head in terms of why Nasus (and any other weak early game Top laners) could no longer be played in high skill environments. This shift occurred, not coincidentally, shortly after the new Masteries were introduced for Season 2.

~_~ I want to cuddle you for some reason.

CarlSagansCosmos

09-01-2012

Quote:
Hey Hyfe,

I take your word for it, as you are a professional...but I find it very hard to believe one of the reasons Nasus isn't viable is because of minion creeps. It just seems to me that Nasus' kit is...too old. I would gladly give up his farming of q if it meant something more. I like playing nasus (his voice rocks), but I can't justify it. There is all this talk of the harder a champion is, the more you should be able to get out of them, and I just don't see that in any competition. There is too much emphasis on Q. And Nasus shouldn't be a Q monster. He should be on your team and your team say "ok, for the next 30 min, nasus will be top, and avoid team confrontations/fight".

I want a change in his kit more than anything, if only because I want to play nasus in a game all the way through. I don't want ANY character to have to be absent from team fights and such just to "farm" to make him viable, and then eventually OP. And most of all, I want his power to reflect his difficulty in playing. If I make him a main, I want that to be reflected in my game play, and with Nasus, you just don't seem to get that satisfaction.

CarlSagansCosmos

09-01-2012

Hyfe: Since your collecting ideas:

Q: Empowers Nasus with Bonus damage (Based on rank) next attack to Stun target gives bonus lifesteal. Q is refreshed on Champion or minion kill.

Spirit Fire: Imparts an armor debuff while in the aoe, and lasts 3 seconds after leaving it.

Wither: Steals AS and MS or add a DOT component that can target minions (I want him to be a good Jungler)

Ulti: Grants passive Spellsteal while activated.

Gurei Fullbuster

09-01-2012

Quote:
Hey Hyfe,

Ty. Tytytytyty. It's been FAR too long since I've been able to feel comfortable picking Nasus, he's one of my favorite champions, both to play as and in personality (aka voice acting).