Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Playing against Xin Xao tips?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheGoddamnAndrea

08-29-2012

My main champs are:

Ahri
Twitch
Teemo
Shyvana

I am proficient at:
Warwick
Anivia
Hecarim
Soraka
Nasus

No matter what I try, I can not for the life of me 1v1 a Xin Zhao. Other champions I figure out eventually, but this guy poses problems for me, especially if he's on a team that mainly needs me to build MR instead of armor items. Does anyone have any tips on playing against him, for any of these champions?

Cx Strike

08-29-2012

Shyvana is naturally armor tanky, so you shouldn't have to build more than a wriggles on her to be tanky enough for Xin. If you're jungling her, you should have armor runes, plus the armor from your 9-21-0 or 21-9-0 (if you want damage), plus the 30 from wriggles, which gives you (depending on level) around 100 armor or so. Shy can't carry in my opinion unless she's uber fed, so your job isn't to take down Xin 1v1. Let a riven or a irelia or mord do that.

As for Teemo...well, good luck once your blind is down. Good luck 1v1 against anyone when your blind is down. Teemo is just weak imo, and his kit doesn't really warrant going top lane (or bot for that matter).

You should never have to 1v1 anyone as twitch, because one, you're either the ad carry, which means its your team's job to keep them off you so you can do damage or you're the jungler and you're ganking lanes to help them out, and two, you'll never be top lane so you won' t have to 1v1 a Xin. If you do, run. Twitch is squishy and xin can cut through him like butter, as with most ad carries.

Ahri is the jack of all trades mid imo, not really good at one thing, but okay at almost everything. if you get into a 1v1, your best chance is to land a charm and hit him with everything you have. If you have void staff, you'll do a lot of damage and make him rethink his attack. If you have blue, or full cdr, you might be able to kill him. If he tries to knock you up, use your ult to move around him.

WW has lifesteal and with his AS buff and a FH, he stands a good chance against Xin. Nasus needs farm to be effective most games, but his wither does cut into Xin's sustain and you've got your own lifesteal, if your q does enough damage, pop your ult and spirit fire and try it. Raka...unless you're ap mid, forget about it. Silence him and run as fast as you can. Pop your shyrelias and run like hell. Anivia has wall, so if you don't have enough AP to kill him with a couple e's, then wall and run. Hecarim...well, meh, I don't play much Hec, and when I do, its because I don't have a mana hundry mid and I want to play a centaur. He's built to be a jungler, not a 1v1 bruiser.
All that said, Xin is a very potent beast right now. If he's fed, he's very hard to take down. A tri-force and a wits end are really all he needs to start killing things.

fx harmonix

08-29-2012

xin zhao is an assassin type champ so most champs would have problems against him 1vs1. The problem with most of the champs you listed is that they are too squishy and can't nuke him down before he closes the gap and starts his combo. Just try to poke at him and don't let him initiate on you

TheGoddamnAndrea

08-29-2012

Thank you guys for the advice. I haven't played against Xin on a couple of these characters, suppose I'll get some WW practice in lol. And maybe buy a bulkier champ to round out my roster.

I didn't realize he just needed a couple items to do well. I do try to, you know, not die to him. So often though he does get fed by people going for first blood, or at least in my experience. The only time I've fought him when he hasn't been fed is when we're mid. But then he's got a level advantage over the rest of my team. xD

LifeInADay

08-30-2012

Get Jax. For 1350 ip he counters alot of ad dps. Jax's dodge will screw up his 3 talon strike which is a major part of xin's burst damage. There's also Jax's ult which adds a ton of armor and mr for 8 seconds I believe. Unless he is significantly more farmed/fed than Jax, Jax should never lose to xin 1v1.

Jax has a leap strike that can bring him close to squishy adcarries and smash them in while dodging their physical dps.

After all.... Jax IS the grandmaster duelist; so good he rolls with a lamp post and still whoops a$$.

LegacyAngel

08-30-2012

Quote:
LifeInADay:
Get Jax. For 1350 ip he counters alot of ad dps. Jax's dodge will screw up his 3 talon strike which is a major part of xin's burst damage. There's also Jax's ult which adds a ton of armor and mr for 8 seconds I believe. Unless he is significantly more farmed/fed than Jax, Jax should never lose to xin 1v1.

Jax has a leap strike that can bring him close to squishy adcarries and smash them in while dodging their physical dps.

After all.... Jax IS the grandmaster duelist; so good he rolls with a lamp post and still whoops a$$.

If you are low on IP, champs like ali, taric, ashe, olaf, and such are really good choices. Makes you more diverse than someone who buys an expensive god champ like lee or yorick that are counterable.

Warrrrax

08-30-2012

Here's a tip: With a spear behind it!
- Xin

Seriously though, if you are playing draft and see Xin picked and likely to go top and you pick afterwards (lots of IFs..) then you can counterpick him.

Teemo in theory counters him, but you absolutely MUST save your blind and have really fast reflexes. When he charges, you Blind. If fast enough he will miss his autoattack and Q-resetter as well as his 3 Q pokes which are most of his damage. 3.5 seconds later, he is eating creep damage and his Q is gone and his W is almost out of gas. meanwhile you stand there shooting away at him. Don't bother running. You use your poison to harass him and deal damage, but you MUST max your Dart and never ever ever use it unless engaged. You still do eat the Charge damage though and possibly 2 charges. So you have to make best use of that time to punish him with your autoattacks.

Malphite in theory counters him. His shield absorbs the charge damage at least and you can slow down his autoattack. Still it doesnt work vs his initial hit and Q-reset, so Im not sure how viable this techique is.

Riven might be able to outdamage him. She has the ministun, shield, and triple Q which hits pretty hard. And strong health regen. Not really a counter, but might be able to do ok vs him.

Jax as mentioned should do the trick. Long as you can click Counterstrike as he is charging in, you should do fine. You dodge most of his damage and beat him down severely in return...then Leapstrike on him as he is limping off and continue the beatings.

Yorick should kick his ass pretty well. Xin charges, Yorick gives him Q,W,E giving him 15% damage reduction and delivering a ton of damage in return. Yorick has the solid harassment ability too, as long as you dont get caught and charged right after your W/E are used up. In which case you have only a Q and 1 ghoul to match Xins assault...

Warwick might do alright. Hes eaten a lot of nerfs though, but his Q spam lifesteals quite a bit, as does his normal autoattacks. As long as you dont run, you might be able to face down Xin. He charges, Q knockup. Meanwhile you Q lifesteal, use AS booster and your autoattacks gain extra onhit damage and stacking lifesteal too. Give em an extra Q as a parting gift. At 6, you can hoze him slightly by eating his face and Ulting as soon as he charges you. That should waste his Q,W,E while you and creeps beat on him to some extent. Obviously a 1 time deal but might help give you momentum.

mnun

08-30-2012

Quote:
TheGoddamnAndrea:
Thank you guys for the advice. I haven't played against Xin on a couple of these characters, suppose I'll get some WW practice in lol. And maybe buy a bulkier champ to round out my roster.

I didn't realize he just needed a couple items to do well. I do try to, you know, not die to him. So often though he does get fed by people going for first blood, or at least in my experience. The only time I've fought him when he hasn't been fed is when we're mid. But then he's got a level advantage over the rest of my team. xD

Wits End, spirit visage, bloodrazors, atk speed boots, force of nature ( doesnt have to be fon, just get soem armor ) and boom! Dead xin

ComradeHX

08-30-2012

If you really do not want xin to jump on you; get Randuins then proceed to get mr to counter other things.

Or just ulti to run away with Shyvana.

Ahri has THREE ulti jumps and one disable...no problem there unless you missed r or e while rolling face on keyboard(you are not annie lol).
Teemo should have zero problem surviving; not easy 1v1 but then you do not need to.
Farmed Nasus is pretty good counter; but you have to survive laning(second skill must be W).

Soraka needs to silence xin first or his W and Q can just be precasted and does not give f**k about silence then procceed to melt face with combo.

Yell

08-31-2012

Frozen heart/Randmins counters him well, just armour in general. He has a great early game though so you have to stay back until you have farmed enough to handle him 1v1.