That man that runs the Items shop...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Slinger O Guns

09-17-2010

Who is he? Where does all my gold go? Why does he have all these dangerous things just lying around? Is he employed by the League? Or is he free lance? But seriously what is he doing with all my gold? Cause if it's not going to orphanages and charity I'm about to get pissed...

SethCypher

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger O Guns View Post
Who is he? Where does all my gold go? Why does he have all these dangerous things just lying around? Is he employed by the League? Or is he free lance? But seriously what is he doing with all my gold? Cause if it's not going to orphanages and charity I'm about to get pissed...
Aren't gold coins a sort of...joke currency in this world? I mean...it literally grows...in your pockets. It's almost as if we're in a game of Monopoly O_o.

Speakes

09-17-2010

go directly to nexus. dont pass go, dont collect $200

Villiroth

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SethCypher View Post
Aren't gold coins a sort of...joke currency in this world? I mean...it literally grows...in your pockets. It's almost as if we're in a game of Monopoly O_o.
Kind of explains teemo's backpack, little ****er cant hold all that gold in his tiny pants.

Zzilb

09-17-2010

Ive got a couple related threads from here in the lore forum for you!

Quite pertinent, we have some thoughts about items over in
"You know what I never got?", featuring ever more blather from yours truly.

Interestingly, currency has been named! 'Valors' are referenced to all throughout "Bilgewater Days." Clearly a coin of some sort, are these the same currency Mundo tossed?
"Amid protests from the shopkeeper, Dr. Mundo tosses some gold coins carelessly behind him as he ambles towards the front lines to face his Ionian counterparts."

And whats this about protests, Hm? That certainly makes the mysterious shopkeeper seem more man than mindless minion.

Tourist Fjord

09-17-2010

Sounds like the potential of a new Champion, something with a Passive like this;

Passive - What're ya Buyin'? : Allies within 400 metres of this champion can access the shop regardless of distance from the Nexus store.

Slinger O Guns

09-17-2010

I'm just wanting to know what his angle is in all this.

Zzilb

09-17-2010

Well, given that items are replicated for League purposes which he then vends on the fields of justice, I think we can conclude his is in service to the Institute as much as the apprentice summoners who handle the minions, but obviously we dont have much about him specifically.

He is a curious remnant of the game's early era in which the lore was poorly defined. We have no reference to being the only shopkeeper ever employed for that purpose, nor to there being a race of pink ogres for him to descend from though wild mutations arent uncommon.

As I mentioned elsewhere, League matches seem to simulate the whole process of war. The inclusion of rare and powerful artifacts is actually homage to how city-states would dedicate resources to empowering their heroes during the Rune Wars.
"Champions made the most of magical items forged for them as they led or supported armies."

The canonization of the possession of gold indicates it is indeed a way of keeping score and a measure of progress in the field not only for us as players but for them as Summoners.. but. Real Valors going to the Institute's coffers? Glamors somehow harvested from slain minions? I cannot say, but if the Mundo article means to proceed as it has begun, we may yet be handed more on the subject.

Cold Fusion

09-17-2010

I remember seeing somewhere (red post, JoJ, or some lore) that there is a name for it.. The League of Shopkeepers or something.

Zzilb

09-17-2010

With Cold's hint, I went back through the JoJ and found no references to an official mercantile organization. There are indeed a number of named things.. Branches and departments and such.. but none about that there. I did, however, find this in an article about Kalamanda;
"Contributing to this is word that two smaller-scale resource strikes of enchantable gold have already been uncovered."

Not just gold, mind you. Enchantable gold, and two sources. I consider this 'Nooshys delicate way of explaining those arent ordinary Valors that both teams are spending on the Fields of Justice.