Riot: A serious "Boobs" thread.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dagna

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinsoo View Post
One other note is that it's hard to make attractive female champions that look female in our engine unless the boobs are noticable.

Unless the boobs are big, you won't see them in game, and if you don't see them in game, it will look more masculine.
Ohhh, I get it now now. Big breast are a limitation of the game engine.

icuthar

12-29-2012

This thread is silly and completely unnecessary.

P.S. Please ask Riot to make a female champion similar to Gragas... cuz thats something I want to see...

Drackolus

12-29-2012

You know, at first I was going to argue against this. But then I realized you're completely right. Oversexualization really does take a lot away from some champions - my primary example being Riven. I honestly don't like her just because she's so... not a warrior. Her sword swing animations are completely ridiculous. She would be cool without being attractive - in fact, she's NOT cool because she's attractive. Battle-hardened warriors have scars, gritty faces, maybe a misshapen nose or something. She just looks like a cosplayer. Who wants to play as a cosplayer? I'm all for *** in video games, but there comes a point where it stops being artistic and interesting and it becomes forced and stupid. I, for one, want more female champions that inspire respect, or fear, not libido.

I Am Illiterate

12-29-2012

riot releases ugly female champ
GD: oh god riot hates women wtf riot unistalling as we speak.

Riot really can't win with the idiocy that GD has. With that being said riot has been doing a good job with having interesting champs, not just sexuallized champs. better than most games. a lot better.

Drackolus

12-29-2012

Where have you ever heard that? When has someone said that an artist "hates women" because they don't have ideal proportions? You've almost certainly never seen or heard that. You're just making stuff up now.

Nea De Penserhir

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drackolus View Post
I, for one, want more female champions that inspire respect, or fear, not libido.
Rule 34 exists for a reason. No matter what you do with a character's visual aesthetic, SOMEONE will find it attractive.

Making a character "attractive" doesn't detract from the character, just like making them unattractive doesn't automatically equal depth.

The eyes draw attention. Everything else is what keeps them. As long as there's no huge disconnect in the whole package of a character, appearance is largely unimportant, from one end of the spectrum to another.

Examples of a major disconnect - Sejuani. An arguably fun pig riding character with flavor and kit that makes total sense.

Right up until that bikini. I get it, she's so tough, she can be near naked in sub-zero temperature. Why? Far as I'm concerned, the only thing she's proving to Ashe is that she ain't afraid of her washboard abs seeing the fields of justice.

Does that make her visually appealing? Sure. Does that make her concept less intimidating? Hell no.

She's not less intimidating, the intimidation is just tempered by the fact she could double as a Frejordian beauty queen, but I don't care how hot piglady is, if she comes strolling up to me, mace in hand, leather bikini not withstanding, in the middle of a damned blizzard, my ass is running the OTHER WAY because there is no way this situation is going to end favorably for me.

1. Giant mace. Not exactly courtship intent.
2. Rides a pig. I'm likely going to be a meal.
3. Off-her-rocker enough to walk around in a blizzard in a bikini. Giant red flag there.

Sure, some variety for body types / creature types is always a plus, but saying it somehow takes away from a character itself? Not so much. If you feel the character being attractive is somehow taking away from them, the character likely wasn't that deep anyway.

/hipsterglasses.

Afael

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drackolus View Post
You know, at first I was going to argue against this. But then I realized you're completely right. Oversexualization really does take a lot away from some champions - my primary example being Riven. I honestly don't like her just because she's so... not a warrior. Her sword swing animations are completely ridiculous. She would be cool without being attractive - in fact, she's NOT cool because she's attractive. Battle-hardened warriors have scars, gritty faces, maybe a misshapen nose or something. She just looks like a cosplayer. Who wants to play as a cosplayer? I'm all for *** in video games, but there comes a point where it stops being artistic and interesting and it becomes forced and stupid. I, for one, want more female champions that inspire respect, or fear, not libido.
Riven is not as oversexualised as other champions may be. In addition, she is somewhat "moe", so being cute does interact well with her overall design. And it also plays on contrast of her a fragile girl holding a huge sword, which most people would find attractive or appealing. Personally, I consider her to be League of Legend's Claud Strife not a cosplayer)

As for the issue of oversexualisation in general, Riot have showed us with Vi that they are still capable of creating interesting female champions, so problem may eventually resolve itself.

AkaeBR

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afael View Post
Riven is not as oversexualised as other champions may be. In addition, she is somewhat "moe", so being cute does interact well with her overall design. And it also plays on contrast of her a fragile girl holding a huge sword, which most people would find attractive or appealing. Personally, I consider her to be League of Legend's Claud Strife not a cosplayer)

As for the issue of oversexualisation in general, Riot have showed us with Vi that they are still capable of creating interesting female champions, so problem may eventually resolve itself.
Yeah, but strife also looks like a girl with a sword. He doesnt represent what a warrior would look like in the old times, also cause hes what? 15, 16?

I understand what he says about Riven and it crossed my mind too. She looks super skinny, very fragile and with barely any muscle to at least swing a sword. A female warrior representing her fighting prowess could be at least taller, more muscular, with scars and that doesnt look like a doll.

They could make a bad ass female barbarian warrior tank, similar to leona but taller, with less armor (still having a chestplate, bracers, trousers and helmet) a big ass sword/axe and that doesnt look like a doll.

Afael

12-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaeBR View Post
Yeah, but strife also looks like a girl with a sword. He doesnt represent what a warrior would look like in the old times, also cause hes what? 15, 16?

I understand what he says about Riven and it crossed my mind too. She looks super skinny, very fragile and with barely any muscle to at least swing a sword. A female warrior representing her fighting prowess could be at least taller, more muscular, with scars and that doesnt look like a doll.

They could make a bad ass female barbarian warrior tank, similar to leona but taller, with less armor (still having a chestplate, bracers, trousers and helmet) a big ass sword/axe and that doesnt look like a doll.
Claud is 21 in FF7 and 24 during Advent Children. He doesn't represent what a warrior was in the old times because he wasn't meant to. FF is JPRG and there isn't much characters that come from those that would represent a real warriors. For someone who has so much similarities with him, its not surprising that Riven isn't bulky and brutal. She follows a different concept.
Sejuani is close to what you ask for. And there is already a comment explaining that her bikini is fine)

AkaeBR

12-29-2012

yeah true, Cloud Strife belongs to the whole Japanese rpg theme, and looking like a real warrior is definitely not what they intended.
You're right, Sejuani totally fits that