On the originality of various LoL champions.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Wriggle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Fusion View Post
Touhou or something like that.
Did you know that "wriggle" is an actual word? Here, let me assist you to quench your thirst™ for knowledge.

Wriggle, as defined by WordNet
Wriggle, as defined by Wiktionary

There is no evidence whatsoever that "Wriggle's Lantern" is named after "Wriggle Nightbug" of Touhou fame.

xoxopinoy

09-16-2010

Not very likely that a lowly white racist like you could come up with anything as clever as the geniuses from glorious Nippon.

KalosCast

09-16-2010

Yeah, it's pretty obvious that Riot takes references and inspiration from other games. You know who else does? Everyone.

xoxopinoy

09-16-2010

It's pretty much outright racism to steal so blatanly from the rich, wonderful culture of glorious Nippon and not have an option to let the champions speak the tongue of the motherland.

SethCypher

09-16-2010

Quote:
You may think originality isn't a strong point of LoL, and by all means you're entitled to your opinion. I never claimed that we're making Shakespeare. What I hope we're making, however, is a world that people can identify with and have fun in, provided it isn't the same fantasy talk-to-the-dude-in-the-tavern-and-start-your-quest stories that's been forced down our throats for years.

I will say this specifically, however: Sona's name has everything to do with sound and nothing to do with whatever Hatsune Miku is. Honestly, I've never heard of that. I assume it's an anime thing?
To be frank, even Shakespeare himself wasn't entirely original. I believe he drew alot of his core ideas from other plays as well, it was just the way he executed his that made him distinguished.

Hatsune Miku is an anime mascot character that comes from a japanese program called Vocaloid. The program is usually used to synthesize and create music, often times in an electro japanese style. Over the last couple years, it's become ridiculously famous. Hatsune Miku also has long pig tails, and bears a resemblance to Sona as well as having the same hair color. I'm pretty sure the character design was vaguely based off of Hatsune Miku, but the core theme of Sona would actually be music itself.

Quote:
Some of her popular titles are - "Last Night, Good Night" , "Melt", "Love is War", "World is Mine", "Saihate" to name a few. I kid you not, if you dig anime, you will kneel before the idea that is Miku.
Some anime lovers have a terribly high expectation and won't really faun over that kind of stuff. I'll admit, some of it is good, but that's pretty much all it is.

profpwn

09-16-2010

watch the south park where butters if freaking out because the simpsons already did it. Basically it shows that everything has been done already ^^

Helionexis

09-17-2010

i agree with the prof above me. its nearly impossible in this day and age to be completely original. and who really cares if they base some stuff off of other games, anime, etc. it just means that they find those things pretty **** awesome and are giving them their respect. you ever hear of copying is the best form of flattery? well just look around and you'll see that it happens everywhere.

Ravenfeld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-17-2010

I just gotta say that your claim about Pantheon is ridiculous, so you're telling me that, before 300, there was no design like Pantheon? Dude, read a book. The 300 movie is based (i'll be it loosely) off an actual historical event that took place. It was highly dramatized to be sure, but the general design of Pantheon could just as easily be justified as based on classic Grecian design! And how many other games take influence from history? Ever see a knight in a game? How about a samurai, what about a ninja? Point and case, you didn't even bring up Shen! Just ridiculous.

JackInASphere

09-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenfeld View Post
I just gotta say that your claim about Pantheon is ridiculous, so you're telling me that, before 300, there was no design like Pantheon? Dude, read a book. The 300 movie is based (i'll be it loosely) off an actual historical event that took place. It was highly dramatized to be sure, but the general design of Pantheon could just as easily be justified as based on classic Grecian design! And how many other games take influence from history? Ever see a knight in a game? How about a samurai, what about a ninja? Point and case, you didn't even bring up Shen! Just ridiculous.
300 is based off the graphic novel...not the actual historic event

Enrayged

09-17-2010

You lost me...

Ninjas are perfectly original, but Spartans aren't?

Or, are you one of those people who think "Spartans" only exist in the world of "The 300"?

*Ahem* though, I have to add, even J.R.R. Tolkien wasn't totally original - much of his work is based on Norse mythology. Originality is an idea that has been dead for a long time.