Am i building Master Yi Wrong?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Anhygoel

08-26-2012

Pretty new to the game...but i've already bought a few heros and i'm pretty into the game so i'm trying to do ish right.

I build master yi almost pure Attack speed with The Phantom Dance (think it's called taht +55% speed, some crit etc. etc.) and Life Steal with the Blood thirster or the other one with 18% life steal... i'm still playing bot games... so i usually destroy late game... but i'm finding Yi to be soooo damn squishy....... especially early game.... any tips or different build advice?

By the end of the game my Att Speed is usually like 2.3....My life steal is around 30% or so.

All I do is feed

08-26-2012

You don't need to stack phantom dancers with master yi, his ult should give you enough attack speed as well as it resets upon kill, an infinity edge for extra damage is another good item on him. Also master yi is a CARRY he is supposed to do a lot of damage and be squishy, if you want him to be more tanky then build, frozen mallet or warmogs with atma's impaler. Guardian angel or banshees veil are also good choices.

Veskulios

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-26-2012

Derogative is a nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord

Everyone knows 4 Phantom Dancers, Boots of Mobility and a BT is the way to go.

Urthclaw

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoblinBain View Post
Derogative is a nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord
nooblord

Everyone knows 4 Phantom Dancers, Boots of Mobility and a BT is the way to go.
No. Its go really fast boots, Wiggle's Lantern, and 4 blood doubleswords.

Yoonabomber

08-26-2012

master yi is weak in the current meta. the only tournament viable carries are ezreal, corki, and graves

M0rias

08-27-2012

First item I like to get is wriggles lantern. It lets you farm really well and stay in lane/jungle. Second thing I like to aim to get is the Ghostblade. The active is really strong on yi when you want to get that first kill in a teamfight to reset your ultimate. Next I like to build trinity force starting with phage. It adds a little of everything you need. Sheen for bursting down that first kill, mana for more room to reset your ultimate, crit and moves speed, health and possible slow. If you aren't doing well and you need to be tankier you can use the phage and just get a frozen mallet instead.
After that you may want to consider items like guardian angel, quick silver sash, or banshee's veil just so people won't want to use all their skills on you right away to burst you down. The last item could be anything. Infinity edge, bloodthirster, last whisperer, force of nature, randuins omen, thornmail, etc.

Wriggle's Lantern - Ghostblade - Trinity Force - Guardian Angel - situational item for last.

Don't forget to get boots early too! Mercury treads or ninja tabi are what you should be looking to get.
If you are really struggling with early game tankiness, consider just getting phage before you start building the ghostblade. There are a lot of different ways to play Yi and lots of them are actually pretty good but not all do well in every situation. This is just the way I play him as I like to be with my team for fights and this gives me a little bit of beef so I can be in the thick of things doing "Yi things".
Anyways I hope this helps!

Fat Ninja

08-27-2012

Well, in my personal opinion, Yi is not a character you should learn to play to better yourself / prepare for PVP.

He can kill, yes, but that's it, he has crazy offensive power, but no CC, and with roots / snares can be melted down quickly when he comes in a team fight, usually just a bit after it started to try and "Clean up".

My personal Yi building preferance is Zerker Greaves > Infinity Edge > Phantom Dancer > Blood Thirster > Last Whisper > Guardian Angel (Though games are usually over long before any of these final items are built)

Sometimes I'll grab a lifesteal sceptor long before getting the blood thirster, maybe just after the Infinity Edge, just for some sustain.

I have seen some Yi's grabbing a few Doran's Rings early just for the laning phase and harassing heavy with those high AP ratios, but then focusing on a standard AD build afterwards, seems to work alright, but I haven't tested it myself.

I disagree with the Trinity Force on Yi for the simple fact that he doesn't have any short cooldown abilities, I don't think he really gets a whole lot of use out of it compared to another item designated just for AD.

Also, if you get fed early on, a Black Cleaver is an awesome early game item. Thought late game Last Whisper is typically better, especially if oyu have 2+ tanky enemies.

Bwdzxc

08-27-2012

Get less phantom dancers and 1 infinity edge and frozen mallet

Treza

08-27-2012

ive never played master yi but in an actual game where youre not just farming the bots for gold, i would probably start boots and 3 pots. after that i would start building a youmous ghostblade for the gp5 conversion and the ad/crit/armorpen + active. its a great item for any meleer. after that i would depending on gold probably start building an infinity edge with a vampiric scepter thrown in somewhere in between that i would eventually turn into a bloodthirster possibly before or after a phantom dancer depending on how things are going

youmous active is extremely good and is basically a second ult for master yi or combine it with his ult to essentially go super saiyan form

M0rias

08-27-2012

DC is right that you won't get many passive procs from the trinity in a team fight. However, most champions do not get many procs in a team fight anyways. During a teamfight, master yi typically is supposed to tunnel vision the weakest target in a fight so he gets the refresh on his ultimate. Typically you won't have time to get more than 2 trinity passive procs in before someone is dead anyways. The thing is master yi's abilities refresh when someone is killed by him and they are halved when he gets an assist. So you might only be getting procs from the initial alpha strike, ult and wuju but all of those skills refresh on kill, and 2 of them will be up almost instantly if you get an assist.
Biggest difference between a good yi player and a mediocre one isn't the build but that a good yi will know to save his alpha strike for after the opponent has burned flash/escapes and then kill that target to get the refresh.