Sona's League Judgment

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PhantomChaos

09-18-2010

Well, looks like Babagahnoosh has shown how is it done.

alsowikk

09-18-2010

They just make her play her instrument a bit and skip the dialague. But since opening your mind is the main thing it seems like they could have just had her talking with the person with telepathy or whatever they use for the judgements.

EDIT: I was just trying to say how they had skipped the dialague. If we had HEARD the music then I'm sure it would have been very good but my mind is not one that can make a masterpiece by it's self and there for some of the intendded effect was missed(sorry wasn't trying to say it was bad, but I just thought it felt wierd that opening your mind didn't include having you thoughts being read as well.

Zzilb

09-18-2010

Yeah. Alsowikk demonstrates a sort of disconnection to music that I was concerned might be the standard reader reaction. To those who know of it, im sure music can be an extremely communicative force, but does that translate to the rest of us, and can it carry the same impact in the form of text?
In an influencing piece, isnt the most gripping part in how the tones and twists build on and on, taking our minds along for the ride and developing the sentiment with each note? If you dont have a vivid imagination or a memory of music that really spoke to you, doesnt the line "Hesitantly at first, testing her instrumentís yield, she played a defiant progression in response to her question," fall rather short? Its read in an instant and then we're off to the next paragraph, the whole of the tune squished into a few words..

and I fear thats really just a consequence of writing in text, not sound.
Im curious if anyone here feels they could rewrite that line to feel much more expressive.

Slowjack

09-18-2010

I'm just going to c/p what I had posted in the thread attached to the Judgement itself, because afterwards it occurred to me that people would be talking about the exact same thing in the lore forum.

For those hoping/expecting that she would have some sort of voice because the Judgements take place in the mind, what makes you think speaking would come so naturally to someone who listens to sounds long after they're gone?

Do you do things in your dreams that you wouldn't normally do? Unless it was some truly odd dream, then I doubt it. And these Judgements are supposed to be some sort of revealing of the person's true self.

It's one thing to be mute all your life, be given the chance to speak, and then speak.

It's another to be mute all your life, be given the chance to speak, and still not.

I'm glad she didn't say anything, her music speaks for her, which is the entire point.

To answer the poster above me about writing that line to feel more expressive... there are all kinds of adjectives available to describe it, and even more things that a string of beautiful sounds can be likened to... but in the end, it's all just unnecessary words.

As you said, it's the consequence of writing in text... going on and on, abusing a thesaurus, just to describe the sound... still does nothing to let me actually hear it. I'm glad it was succinct. If you want an idea, think of a defiant song in your head... something that goes with a movie score or something... that's close enough.