A LoL Short story without a title!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CakeandBacon

12-23-2010

I haven't written fiction of any kind for a long time, so forgive me if this isn't exactly Pulitzer material. Anyways, I couldn't sleep while housesitting fo a family member, so I hopped on my laptop and checked out the LoL forums. I don't usually come to the Lore forum, but I misclicked and ended up reading some of the stuff. I decided to write my own, since this bucket of bolts laptop won't play LoL. If the community decides this isn't an abomination I might write another one that's a bit less overdone (you'll see what I mean) or continue this story. So without further ado...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garen wasn't one to keep his presence hidden, quiet, or in any way unknown. He burst into the locker room with an air of excitement at once jovial and anxious. Most of his team hadn’t arrived yet, with one exception: a man in armor very similar to Garen’s own, and holding a long and very sharp spear with a Demacian pendant hanging from it. His long black ponytail had the occasional streak of grey in it; an indicator of either age or of possible stress from guarding kings for multiple generations.

Garen knew this man. Though he had clearly recognized and acknowledged his entry, Garen felt the need to go pat Xin Zhao on the shoulder. “A great day for a match eh old friend?”

Xin Zhao said nothing. He merely reached into his locker and retrieved a sharpening stone and took it to his spear. Garen sighed and went about doing the same for his own massive blade. He knew Xin just didn’t feel the same excitement about the battle as he did. Though Garen had had some concerns regarding Xin Zhao’s loyalty initially, these fears were forever banished upon seeing him in battle, and Garen was overjoyed to fight with him.

The two sat in the room silently sharpening their weapons for a few minutes. At a few points Garen tried to make small talk or discuss tactics. Eventually Xin Zhao caved and began to talk to him. “We should try and take the southern lane together. If we both leap from the bushes, they’ll never know what hit them.”

At this time the rest of the team began to arrive. The first to arrive made Garen simultaneously nervous and happy: his sister Luxanna. Lux was looking nervous, as always. She hadn’t been in the League for very long, and even though she was clearly skilled, her inexperience made her prone to sometimes making grave mistakes. Still, Garen thought, at least it was someone he trusted. His other teammates made him no less optimistic: Tristana, the little Yordle commando, and Nidalee, the beautiful woman from the wilds. Garen never let himself get distracted in the field, but here in the locker room Nidalee’s revealing fur outfit was very distracting. He could even see the Xin Zhao admiring her figure.

Everyone in the room knew each other well. They began exchanging small talk, discussing strategy, and preparing for the match they had been summoned for. It was decided that Tristana would take the middle path, while Nidalee would defend the northern path by herself. Garen and Lux would take the southern path while Xin Zhao would clear the jungle and then ambush unsuspecting enemies.

Soon enough, the Hextech viewscreen at the back of the room lit up to show the team who they would be facing this match. Garen was the first to the screen, and the rest of the team crowded around the massive man.

“Hey! I can’t see!”

Garen picked Tristana up and put her on his shoulder just in time for the enemy team to start appearing on the screen. First on the list was Sarah Fortune, a bounty hunter from Bilgewater. Then came Warwick, the werewolf from Zuan. Following him was Morgana, the fallen angel from another world, and Amumu, the ancient yordle mummy. The last one to appear caught Garen’s eye: Katarina, Noxus’ notorious assassin. He’d fought her before he joined the League, and was always excited by the prospect, though he didn’t entirely understand why. Still, his face lit up a bit at the sight of her on the enemy team.

His reaction wasn’t lost on his teammates. Though some of them may have wanted to keep it to themselves, Tristana immediately began giggling. Garen looked around as though he had no idea what everyone was rolling their eyes over. He sighed in frustration as Tristana started singing, “Garen has a crush on Ka-aat” over and over again. This was unfair; surely they, the greatest warriors in Valoran, could understand the joy of having a true challenge and rival? A deadly, shapely and very…gorgeous rival…

Nidalee was the first to speak (aside from Tristana’s incessant singing). In a manner unusually sultry for the minutes before a battle, she said “Garen, I’ve known enough men in my life to know what that look means.”

Xin Zhao shot his friend a slightly disapproving look, and when Garen threw up his hands in frustration, he shrugged as if to say, “Well, if you must.”

Lux was in total shock. She finally spoke, at first somewhat shaky, her outrage making her words increasingly steady – and forceful.

“Really? Really? The ***** from Noxus? Of all the bad choices to make, brother, you want to…with…why? Do you WANT to disgrace our family? Do you WANT to be humiliated in front of all Demacia? I wouldn’t care so much if you wanted one of the other classless wenches around here, but HER? It’d be ok if it was the **** from Bilgewater, or even that blue strumpet who just dumped poor Twisted Fate, but that…that…!?”

She was cut short by the announcer informing them that it was time to enter the field. Garen put Tristana, now only attempting to sing through incessant giggling, back down, and she headed off to her lane. Xin Zhao and Nidalee headed off to their respective positions too, while Lux and Garen headed to theirs. On the way, Lux shot him one final glance as if to say “We’re not done with this talk, but there’s work to do now.”

30 minutes later, the team was struggling desperately to hold on to their nexus as powerful minions came pouring in. Tristana, who had been so upbeat before, was now a vision of sheer animal terror as she scrambled back towards the summoning platform, with the vicious Warwick barreling down on her. He had been using his size to beat down on the poor yordle all match, never allowing her to bring her massive cannon to bear. Garen felt slightly disgusted at the wolf, but immediately after he began to fight with him to protect his teammate, a sudden flurry of daggers hit him square in the chest, with the last of the volley hitting him in the eye…with the handle. As Garen struggled to stay standing, a popping noise was heard and he felt a powerful kick in the back which sent him to his knees, and then face down on the cold stone. As he looked up again, he saw the waves of minions shattering the nexus…he had lost. The match was over.

Garen almost felt strong enough to get back up and walk off the field. As he started to move his hands to push himself up, he felt a boot on his back pushing him back down and knocking the wind out of him. As he tried to see who it was, the boot lifted off and kicked him on his back, then replanted itself on his chest. A pair of emerald green eyes, one marked by a prominent scar (which Garen had put there himself a few years ago), stared down at him with a look of extreme satisfaction. Katarina knelt down so that her eyes were a mere foot from Garen’s, and her seemingly endless red hair falling onto his face.

“Did you really think you would follow me to the League and then beat me?” asked Katarina. “That wasn’t terribly smart of you, was it?”

Garen stammered some unintelligible babble, then was interrupted again. The way her armor showed off parts of her body made it difficult for him to focus. Also, smacking his head on the stone hadn’t helped either.

“I really with that last dagger had hit you in the eye properly, but your friend Viscero threw my focus off a bit. I had hoped to give you a scar on your eye. I guess that black eye will have to do.”

Garen felt his eye. It was quite tender. At the very least it was certainly quite red and tearing up.

“Have fun listening to Soraka while she fixes you up, Demacian. You certainly don’t want to let your summoner patch you up after that performance. Meanwhile, I hear Gragas and Olaf won their match on the Twisted Treeline earlier today and are going into town for drinks. I think I’ll join them. They’re twice the men you are.”

Garen suddenly wondered if he should grow a beard. He decided he would.

“See you around.”

Kat walked off, her hips swaying as she caught up to Warwick and the rest of her team. Garen wished he had the sunglasses he occasionally wore to cover his black eye. As he watched her go, he bit his lip, though not necessarily from the pain.

Birdi

01-01-2011

Well written, I laughed at the beard bit and would certainly support the continuation of your story. I find the relationship between Kat and Garen rather interesting.

Nice work anyway.

CakeandBacon

01-08-2011

Hey, I got a read! Cool! I'd thought this thing a goner.

Nice someone likes it. Like I said, I might write more.

Also, shameless bump.

Birdi

01-08-2011

Yeah, it's a shame this post hasn't got many views, I'll link a few more people for you.

Cool, I'll be sure to read if you ever do.

CakeandBacon

06-22-2011

I necro this, because I might write more now that I'm out of school for the time being.