Does anybody else feel that Syndra's lore is boring?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

08-27-2012

If she was bored or wanted to create trust, it should say that. Right now it's a pretty open ended goal of hers. What does she want? Speculation?
It's easy to make stories from what isn't said, but then things go to the fans. Quality should start with Riot.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rustmaker

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulsigae View Post
If she was bored or wanted to create trust, it should say that. Right now it's a pretty open ended goal of hers. What does she want? Speculation?
It's easy to make stories from what isn't said, but then things go to the fans. Quality should start with Riot.
Like I said earlier, they have since updated the lore to include the following line (with no other noticeable changes):

"Free to delve further into her art, Syndra now aims to grow powerful enough to destroy the weak, foolish leaders of Ionia"

So there you go - there's her aim, now clearly stated. Although honestly the way they added it makes it seem like slapping a band-aid on a gunshot wound; while it might stall some of the problems there is still so much that needs to be treated that it really doesn't help fix it by itself. While this lore isn't exactly a catastrophe of Jayce-like proportions, I still think that as it stands it just isn't up to snuff.

However, I am sure that Riot is listening and will come up with an improved version in time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Azmadi

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo The Kid View Post
Guys its not about being strong. Its about freedom. She does not want strength. She does not want power. She just wants to be free and do what she wants. Power is just a side effect. Her lifting up her castle at the end of the lore into sky shows she wants to be above everything. She wants to do what she pleases. She could care less about power. She is angry about restraints. She is angry about people trying to restrain her.

Xerath was just MOAR POWER. I WANT MORE! He gave up everything for pure arcane power.

She wants freedom. She wants the choice to do what she wants when she wants.

Completely different motivations.

If anything she seems like a Zaun champion.
It's a nice theory, but there's nothing in the actual lore supporting it. Nothing about her gives her the vibe of a "free spirit", she's just a petulant child who won't accept being denied anything or not allowed to do whatever she wants. On the other hand, her lore DOES stress that increasing her power is what she wants, regardless of any possible consequences, even if there isn't any purpose behind it. If you try to obstruct her, she'll kill you for it.

Xerath had a purpose for wanting power. He was a scholar who wanted to know the deepest secrets of the universe itself. After ascending to the form of an energy being his goal is to use the power of the nexuses to free himself from the remnants of the sarcophagus that constrains him. Syndra has NO purpose or motive for ANYTHING. She doesn't WANT anything, she has no REASONS for doing anything. She wants revenge on the leaders of Ionia? For what? She can't even have an ideological contempt for them because she has no ideology except "POWAAAAAAH!!! INFINITE POWAAAAAAAAH!!!"

This is why Syndra's lore is the worst Riot have EVER written. Worse than Teemo as a dark, brooding psychopath. Worse than "Passion Princess Katarina". Worse than "Super-Jayce, the man who kicks the ass of the Man of Steel!". She's so shallow she barely even counts as one-dimensional and as if that wasn't bad enough, they also managed to make her a massively unlikeably b*tch at the same time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Blaine Tog

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
This is why Syndra's lore is the worst Riot have EVER written. Worse than Teemo as a dark, brooding psychopath. Worse than "Passion Princess Katarina". Worse than "Super-Jayce, the man who kicks the ass of the Man of Steel!". She's so shallow she barely even counts as one-dimensional and as if that wasn't bad enough, they also managed to make her a massively unlikeably b*tch at the same time.
I actually really like Teemo's lore. He doesn't come off as brooding, merely dangerous in a way that would make you uncomfortable to meet him. In any case, he's kind of a badass while still being adorable, and the juxtaposition is interesting.

For Jayce, they were trying to go for a superhero or pulp action hero vibe and they succeeded. The mistake they made was trashing another champion's lore to get there. Jayce's character and motivations are at least obvious and interesting.

New Kat's lore is actually mostly fine, it's just written with far too much authorial intention showing. They wanted to give Katarina more dimensions, but they did that at the expense of weakening her defining traits. I would be more ok with that if it had just been written more naturally, less like, "See, see how she's human too and not just a psychopath? Here, let me jump up and down waving a sign saying how fallible and human she is, and no, I'm not at all overcompensating for how infallible and pointlessly evil we'd written her before."

Syndra is childish, unlikeable, unsympathetic, and her motivations are both striking one-dimensional and unclear. She wants power and freedom to exercise that power... and that's it. Yet, she joins the League. Many champions join the league to hone their skills but given Syndra's lore it would make far more sense for her to be suspicious of the origanization and simply stretch her power on her own. Really, though, I'd be willing to forgive that nagging issue if she were in any way likable. Singed is a total monster but you know what? That's fine. He doesn't pretend the suffering he causes is in any way just; he simply doesn't care about it. Syndra's one of the only champions whose lore makes me activelly not want to play her.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rustmaker

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Tog View Post
I actually really like Teemo's lore. He doesn't come off as brooding, merely dangerous in a way that would make you uncomfortable to meet him. In any case, he's kind of a badass while still being adorable, and the juxtaposition is interesting.

For Jayce, they were trying to go for a superhero or pulp action hero vibe and they succeeded. The mistake they made was trashing another champion's lore to get there. Jayce's character and motivations are at least obvious and interesting.

New Kat's lore is actually mostly fine, it's just written with far too much authorial intention showing. They wanted to give Katarina more dimensions, but they did that at the expense of weakening her defining traits. I would be more ok with that if it had just been written more naturally, less like, "See, see how she's human too and not just a psychopath? Here, let me jump up and down waving a sign saying how fallible and human she is, and no, I'm not at all overcompensating for how infallible and pointlessly evil we'd written her before."

Syndra is childish, unlikeable, unsympathetic, and her motivations are both striking one-dimensional and unclear. She wants power and freedom to exercise that power... and that's it. Yet, she joins the League. Many champions join the league to hone their skills but given Syndra's lore it would make far more sense for her to be suspicious of the origanization and simply stretch her power on her own. Really, though, I'd be willing to forgive that nagging issue if she were in any way likable. Singed is a total monster but you know what? That's fine. He doesn't pretend the suffering he causes is in any way just; he simply doesn't care about it. Syndra's one of the only champions whose lore makes me activelly not want to play her.
Yeah Teemo's lore is cool. He sorta reminds me of Flippy from Happy Tree Friends, cute and cuddly on the outside but a battle-scarred, psychopathic war vet on the inside (at least that's what his lore makes me think of).

I actually really like Jayce; he's a little corny but that's the point. I definitely like the current Jayce lore now that it actually portrays Viktor properly.

Your point about Kat's lore is spot-on, "authorial intention" was the exact phrase I was searching for!! I think it applies to Syndra's "updated" lore as well. The line that added motivation was equivalent to them holding up a big sign saying "hey guys, here's her purpose for joining the League! You guys noticed we didn't have it before so here's us literally spelling it out for you!" I know that the lore can't please everybody, but frankly Syndra's lore makes her just bland and uninteresting (hard to do for a "Dark Sovereign"). I look forward to trying her out on PBE when she is released, but her lore really isn't doing her any favors.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustmaker View Post
Like I said earlier, they have since updated the lore to include the following line (with no other noticeable changes):

"Free to delve further into her art, Syndra now aims to grow powerful enough to destroy the weak, foolish leaders of Ionia"

So there you go - there's her aim, now clearly stated. Although honestly the way they added it makes it seem like slapping a band-aid on a gunshot wound; while it might stall some of the problems there is still so much that needs to be treated that it really doesn't help fix it by itself. While this lore isn't exactly a catastrophe of Jayce-like proportions, I still think that as it stands it just isn't up to snuff.

However, I am sure that Riot is listening and will come up with an improved version in time.
Oh aye. I more meant she didn't have a clear cut reason to join the League if that's her goal. Why can't she drop her castle on them and be done with it and then spend eternity doing...something?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UNKNOWN BOSS

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post
You're not alone. It's probably my least favorite out of any champion's lore, even Nasus'. Syndra's lore is sterile and unexciting and makes her seem completely one-dimensional.

She's strong. She wants to be stronger. Okay, that's kind of boring but like, don't we all?

Then she kills her mentor for limiting her strength. This is supposed to be a terrible thing, only we don't know who this dude was and have no reason to care. All his death does is tell us that Syndra is reckless and vengeful.

So now she wants to kill all of Ionia's leaders.

Why?

Because she's reckless and vengeful. Not because they wronged her or anything, she's going to kill them just because.

The problem is that they want to make her fearsome and evil, and while I am a big fan of evil chicks and stuff... There's no real reason to be worried about Syndra. All she wants to do is kill a couple of old men. Then she will probably run off somewhere on her own and just keep increasing her own power until she dies or explodes or something. She has no objective outside of making herself stronger. She doesn't want to conquer anything, destroy anything, do anything and that means she probably has no social ties with anyone anywhere.

She exists in a bubble all her own and nobody has any reason to care that she's even there.

Plus, her backstory precludes any desire she might have to join the League of Legends. An ultra-powerful spellcaster who wants nothing more than her freedom... So she willingly submits to the League and promises to limit herself so that she can be on equal terms with people she doesn't know and doesn't care about, who don't care about her either.

Her entire purpose from now on will be to exist in the mid lane and throw **** at Ryze.
In due time... She will become a member of the Black Rose, I'm sure LeBlanc can show her a thing or two.
And don't most people hate EVIL people lol Syndra is just one angry chick and nobody likes a person who is angry all the time.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shou Chobatsu View Post
In due time... She will become a member of the Black Rose, I'm sure LeBlanc can show her a thing or two.
And don't most people hate EVIL people lol Syndra is just one angry chick and nobody likes a person who is angry all the time.
Why would she join the Black Rose?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kazoo The Kid

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
It's a nice theory, but there's nothing in the actual lore supporting it. Nothing about her gives her the vibe of a "free spirit", she's just a petulant child who won't accept being denied anything or not allowed to do whatever she wants. On the other hand, her lore DOES stress that increasing her power is what she wants, regardless of any possible consequences, even if there isn't any purpose behind it. If you try to obstruct her, she'll kill you for it.

Xerath had a purpose for wanting power. He was a scholar who wanted to know the deepest secrets of the universe itself. After ascending to the form of an energy being his goal is to use the power of the nexuses to free himself from the remnants of the sarcophagus that constrains him. Syndra has NO purpose or motive for ANYTHING. She doesn't WANT anything, she has no REASONS for doing anything. She wants revenge on the leaders of Ionia? For what? She can't even have an ideological contempt for them because she has no ideology except "POWAAAAAAH!!! INFINITE POWAAAAAAAAH!!!"

This is why Syndra's lore is the worst Riot have EVER written. Worse than Teemo as a dark, brooding psychopath. Worse than "Passion Princess Katarina". Worse than "Super-Jayce, the man who kicks the ass of the Man of Steel!". She's so shallow she barely even counts as one-dimensional and as if that wasn't bad enough, they also managed to make her a massively unlikeably b*tch at the same time.

Where at all did her lore say anything about power? Its all about limits. She does not give a **** about power. She was delighted it was a school because for once she would have the freedom to use her powers without people bothering her. She could use her magic in freedom. Her lifting the castle into the sky was symbolic to represent she is free from restraints. That she is no longer bound by any rules of the world below her. She was not angry because her power was gone. She was angry because they dared to limit her and restrain her.

Its not a theory its the actually interpretation. Its the point. She wants freedom at all cost. She hates to be limited. Its not suppose to be about power. Its her hate of restraints. She's not a free spirit but more of hates everyone that does not support free spirited people.

They were literally STEALING her power. I see nothing that ever saids she used her powers wrong. She never did anything dangerous. I would be pissed too if they LIED to me and trapped me in a false school where they could steel my power.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

08-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo The Kid View Post
Where at all did her lore say anything about power? Its all about limits. She does not give a **** about power. She was delighted it was a school because for once she would have the freedom to use her powers without people bothering her. She could use her magic in freedom. Her lifting the castle into the sky was symbolic to represent she is free from restraints. That she is no longer bound by any rules of the world below her. She was not angry because her power was gone. She was angry because they dared to limit her and restrain her.

Its not a theory its the actually interpretation. Its the point. She wants freedom at all cost. She hates to be limited. Its not suppose to be about power. Its her hate of restraints. She's not a free spirit but more of hates everyone that does not support free spirited people.

They were literally STEALING her power. I see nothing that ever saids she used her powers wrong. She never did anything dangerous. I would be pissed too if they LIED to me and trapped me in a false school where they could steel my power.


"Born with immense magical potential, Syndra loves nothing more than exercising the incredible power at her command. With each passing day, her mastery of magical force grows more potent and devastating. Refusing any notion of balance or restraint, Syndra wants only to retain control of her power, even if it means annihilating the authorities that seek to stop her."

Sure she doesn't like limits. None of the champions do. The reason she was sent to the school was she was being reckless with her power. If she hadn't been reckless, there would not have been a reason to restrain her. She brought it upon herself, and makes herself very unlikable.