Does anybody else feel that Syndra's lore is boring?

1234567 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Overlord Forte

Senior Member

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavenMad View Post
I like it. Its not your usual Ionian Shpeel on how they're perfectly balanced, and how Noxus stole their sandwich. She's an Ionian with her own ideals. she's her own person. She felt she was being treated unfairly, and she acted accordingly.




Didn't see this, but I have to ask: what does bloodline have to do with personal beliefs? A Noxian parent does not make you instantly power hungry. My dad is a temperamental fellow that hates all things nerd. So, what? We're slaves to our parent's past? That seems a bit wrong, in my personal point of view.
Hi

It's the easiest way I thought of to convey the idea about cultural upbringing. Generally speaking, people of Noxian bloodline would be shaped by and have characteristics of the primary Noxian culture. The same can be said for the Ionians. In having parents from two different bloodlines which have two different associated cultures, the idea is that Syndra has a new set of values that takes from both - and doesn't necessarily mesh with either individually. Having her born around the time period before/during the Noxian occupation of Ionia's southern provinces would mean there is no dilution - she is first generation intermingling between Noxian and Ionian cultural values. There can be definite conflict of interest, people natively want to belong in groups similar to themselves.

On the other hand,
It's entirely probable for someone who is wholly Noxian or Ionian to be apart of the others' culture. Xin Zhao is a good example of this: although his bloodline is not clear, he came from the pit of Noxus and turned into an exemplar of the Demacian way. His upbringing could swing either way in this regard, but as is right now he appears to be a Noxian who took in Demacian values wholly. Distantly, Kennen is another example of someone migrating to a different culture from the one they were born in.

I am starting to think having her be mixed heritage might not accurately portray what I am trying to convey. Although the Noxian occupation of Ionia would be too short for full adulthood, it maybe enough to instill Noxian values into her Ionian upbringing. Hmmm...


The end goal of all that is to introduce one believable way why an Ionian might go against the entire cultural norm for Ionia. It is entirely possible she could be a completely ordinary Ionian who simply never took to the idea of restraint/balance, and we can quite readily dash away the ideas of mixed blood heritage or cultural conflict. At that point, however, Syndra simply becomes something antithesis to the Ionian way - her current Riot canon biography.

This is fine in and of itself, and entirely works. As a writer, the mixed heritage appeared to me as a way of introducing more relatable conflict in her character that previously has not been explored in much detail elsewhere. Diana and Riven are interesting relations here. Diana being someone who was religiously persecuted and lashed out at her native culture ... Riven being a deserter from hers after being the victim of a gross violation of her warrior culture ways (to her perception). Syndra would have healthy room to be trapped in that awkward place of having two different cultures to choose from, and neither not quite fitting with her way of life. The wandering person searching for a place to call home, as it were.



itt I put too much thought into this that may not be entirely sound


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Azmadi

Senior Member

08-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarkRavenMad View Post
I like it. Its not your usual Ionian Shpeel on how they're perfectly balanced, and how Noxus stole their sandwich. She's an Ionian with her own ideals. she's her own person. She felt she was being treated unfairly, and she acted accordingly.
"she acted accordingly"...?

For one thing, she WASN'T being treated unfairly. She was completely in the wrong every step of the way through the story and her final act of murdering an old man and ripping his temple out of the ground was the psychotic mage equivalent of a child throwing a huge temper tantrum. You're suggesting her lore adds depth to Ionia, but it doesn't- yes Syndra is different from the average Ionian champ, but only by being completely and utterly impossible to like in any sense whatsoever.

If all you wanted was an Ionian champ with a different, darker cast to them than the rest of the noble zen-focussed types, what was wrong with Varus?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xulsigae

Senior Member

08-26-2012

Even Veigar, who is supposed to be more a funny aspect to League in being a stereotypical villain, has a better reason to be 'evil.' For one thing, he was imprisoned (possibly tortured) which drove him insane. He wants to end all conflict by crushing all sides. He actually has a reason for how he is, and a purpose for what he wants to do.

Syndra is 'I want power. Don't ask me what I want it for, I just want it.' No motivation, no inner conflict, no end goal. No real reason to join the League either.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mutterscrawl

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Yeah, Syndra's lore is a bit weak, they should've just made her Kassadins daughter.


EDIT: Though I think they changed her lore so that she wants to alter Ionian culture and remove its 'weak' leaders. So that's at least a tad better :P


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

StarkRavenMad

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
"she acted accordingly"...?

For one thing, she WASN'T being treated unfairly. She was completely in the wrong every step of the way through the story and her final act of murdering an old man and ripping his temple out of the ground was the psychotic mage equivalent of a child throwing a huge temper tantrum. You're suggesting her lore adds depth to Ionia, but it doesn't- yes Syndra is different from the average Ionian champ, but only by being completely and utterly impossible to like in any sense whatsoever.

If all you wanted was an Ionian champ with a different, darker cast to them than the rest of the noble zen-focussed types, what was wrong with Varus?
Who decides right and wrong? Think of it this way. You are a genius, and the people around you are frightened by your almost godlike intellect. So they feed you lead paint chips. I'm a firm believer that an individual has no right to alter another person, without consent, no matter what the "Greater good" is. It's a massive breach of humanity, in my view, and I like her, so therefore, you are wrong to say she's utterly impossible to like.

Also, Varus lore is honestly weak.

"Hrm, do I save my family, or the temple? I'll stick with the temple. OH NO! My family is dead. ENTER ME DARK CREATURE!"

"kay".


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kazoo The Kid

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Guys its not about being strong. Its about freedom. She does not want strength. She does not want power. She just wants to be free and do what she wants. Power is just a side effect. Her lifting up her castle at the end of the lore into sky shows she wants to be above everything. She wants to do what she pleases. She could care less about power. She is angry about restraints. She is angry about people trying to restrain her.

Xerath was just MOAR POWER. I WANT MORE! He gave up everything for pure arcane power.

She wants freedom. She wants the choice to do what she wants when she wants.

Completely different motivations.

If anything she seems like a Zaun champion.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mutterscrawl

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazoo The Kid View Post
Guys its not about being strong. Its about freedom. She does not want strength. She does not want power. She just wants to be free and do what she wants. Power is just a side effect. Her lifting up her castle at the end of the lore into sky shows she wants to be above everything. She wants to do what she pleases. She could care less about power. She is angry about restraints. She is angry about people trying to restrain her.

Xerath was just MOAR POWER. I WANT MORE! He gave up everything for pure arcane power.

She wants freedom. She wants the choice to do what she wants when she wants.

Completely different motivations.

If anything she seems like a Zaun champion.

So then why on Grobs Green Earth would she go to the league and let a summoner root around in her noggin and control/direct her?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Rustmaker

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
So then why on Grobs Green Earth would she go to the league and let a summoner root around in her noggin and control/direct her?
Yeah that seems to be the fundamental problem don't it? Even if you could rationalize (or even remotely empathize with) all of her other actions the fact remains that she literally would have 0 reason to join the League. She doesn't want revenge, power (at least not at the expense of freedom), fame or for any possible reason that the League could offer her. As many have noted she seems to be the LAST person to want to join the League.

But all this is besides my point. As my title suggests, even if the discrepancies are sorted out the fact of the matter is that her lore simply boring. I have no way of empathizing with character: she's not enigmatic, charismatic, tortured, or anything of the like simply...a girl who is on a power-trip for no real reason. She's not even villainous, as she seems content with simply being left alone and has zero ambition whatsoever.

A shame too because her gameplay looks friggin' AWESOME!!!

Edit: Ahh okay, I see that they modified her lore a bit to include something about wanting to punish the 'weak foolish, leaders of Ionia' by 'grow(ing) powerful enough'. So I guess the League is supposed to be a training grounds to increase her power? Ok, it's still kind of lame that they added one little phrase just to give this champion motivation. Imo, they still didn't fix the fact that her lore is boring - they just took the shell of a typical story (power-hungry/power-mad individual) without adding any depth (tossing in a half-baked revenge story). Make us FEEL her anger, her rage, her desire for vengeance. If Riot doesn't believe they can do this in one paragraph look at Viktor's lore; it is a really good example of how you can make us feel his pain and his decision to go all "Metal is Perfection"-y in a fairly short blurb. Right now, her lore is just generic.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yasako

Senior Member

08-27-2012

She would kneel at this point, tracing circles in the dirt. She would have flexed her fists, attempting to conjure some sort of power. But today was different. Because Syndra knew. That their obsession with balance, that one single concept, controlled them. She would not let it control her.

She could have become great. Someone who could lead a country, someone who could be revered. Her limit was beyond becoming a goddess. But she had to throw it all away. Because right now, there was something much more important.

She would not be forced to restrict her power by someone who didn't even understand it; someone who had never wielded it. Someone who did not know its nature. It was... hedonistic of him, even, to believe that he could maintain and satisfy the all-pervading "balance" the Ionians worshiped by forcing Syndra's development to stagnate.

So today, Syndra decided, she would create chaos.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kazoo The Kid

Senior Member

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
So then why on Grobs Green Earth would she go to the league and let a summoner root around in her noggin and control/direct her?
Who said they can? Vayne has the ability to keep secrets from summoners when they are in her mind. Why can't she?

Its a pretty simple answer. Gain trust. Gain political power. I doubt she cares being summoned for a few fights every know and then. She dosent really want anything pretty much.

Have you ever considered the fact that she was just bored? I imagine it will get pretty boring being extremely powerful without being able to show case it. She is obviously extremely immature. Maybe she wants the world to bask in her magical glory.


1234567 ... 8