Does anybody else feel that Syndra's lore is boring?

123456 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arcane Azmadi

08-24-2012

It's not boring. It's garbage. It's like Riot's lore staff had a competition to see who could come up with the most unlikeable character they could and this was the winner.

She's not a "cool, evil villain" like Nocturne or Malzahar or Swain. Nor is she a tragic monster like Urgot, a "noble demon" like Darius, or a dark anti-hero like Diana. She's a 1-dimensional bratty, self-centred, power-tripping b*tch and she has absolutely NO place in this game.

Rustmaker

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane Azmadi View Post
It's not boring. It's garbage. It's like Riot's lore staff had a competition to see who could come up with the most unlikeable character they could and this was the winner.

She's not a "cool, evil villain" like Nocturne or Malzahar or Swain. Nor is she a tragic monster like Urgot, a "noble demon" like Darius, or a dark anti-hero like Diana. She's a 1-dimensional bratty, self-centred, power-tripping b*tch and she has absolutely NO place in this game.
As horribly harsh and offensive as this was worded, I have a hard time disagreeing with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post
Actually, you know what would be kinda cool?

They make her fortress a new PvE map where it's X amount of players versus NPC Syndra. The whole thing is like a big ol' boss encounter where you're a strike team from the Institute trying to bring her in to keep her power from going out of control and destroying everything.

Fighting her involves dodging the stuff she throws at you, protecting your allies from adds of some kind, and doing puzzle-sequence-stuff that eventually leads to her containment.

Once she's put under control, she comes to her senses and joins the League as a way of thanking them from saving her and everyone else.

Then you can play as her! Or like, you unlock the ability to unlock her, or something.

Okay wow you know what I think I'm just gonna go outside for a little while.
Best. Idea. Ever.

Riot - I know you're reading this!! THIS NEEDS TO HAPPEN! I want to capture the wild Syndra in my Pokeball!!

Xulsigae

08-24-2012

It's a poor version of Diana's lore: 'Don't repress me society! I'll kill you for that.'

Rustmaker

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xulsigae View Post
It's a poor version of Diana's lore: 'Don't repress me society! I'll kill you for that.'
"Poor version" might be an understatement. I actually thought Diana's lore was pretty well crafted. She only killed the elders when she was pushed to the breaking point - she ultimately wanted to co-exist and be accepted by the Solari but instead she was sentenced to be executed.

This made Diana's actions seem justified rather than make her a cold-blooded psychopath (like Syndra's perceived as).

Xulsigae

08-24-2012

Oh aye. Diana had motivation and showed a coherent thought process beyond 'Ooh shiny new powers.'

Overlord Forte

08-24-2012

Hello,

I'm very excited for Syndra, but as a lore buff I do find her presented lore profoundly lack luster. As it stands its good as a starting point, but I would hesitate to call it a finished product. Due to the fact she is not on the PBE this may very likely be the case, but without confirmation we can only speculate. I personally only find her to be a more sinister version than Xerath, but lacking in the same depth.

That all being said, I wanted to take a stab at refining her story - pitching in some concepts, rearranging others, and hopefully giving something useful to the Lore people if they are interested in our concerns. I won't know until I put it out here

Quote:
Special Note : This is a fan-rewrite, not her canon biography. Please read here for the original, Riot version (click).

Syndra, the Dark Sovereign

Born with immense magical potential, Syndra loves nothing more than exercising the incredible magic at her command. Refusing any notion of balance or restraint, Syndra believes those with the will to power should be free to reach as far as they wish.

The mixed blooded child of a Noxian and Ionian, Syndra's reckless use of magic terrified the elders of her village. She was taken to a remote temple and left in the care of an old mage. To Syndra's delight, the old mage explained that the temple was a school for people such as her - a place to learn magic under his guidance. Although she learned greatly from the old mage, Syndra no longer felt her power growing as it used to. Her frustration grew as others in the school eventually surpassed her, and she finally confronted her mentor about it. To her surprise, he revealed that her magic was being dampened - something he believed to help her learn better control and restraint. Furious, she advanced on her mentor, commanding him to stop the spell stealing her magic. He refused and told her that if she couldn't control herself, then she was unworthy of having her power at all. Unwilling to have her birthright taken away, she summoned her remaining power and slew the old mage.

Syndra soon felt the rush of her unbounded potential for the first time in years - and she soon felt the same happening to others. In that moment Syndra realized she had been unwittingly placed in a prison meant to contain mages like her. She refused to return to the society that had tried to steal her gift, and instead decided to turn their prison into her school. Pushing into the limits of her magic, she tore the temple from the ground and raised it into the sky far from the land dwellers. Syndra welcomed the student-prisoners left behind by the Ionian authorities at the temple, encouraging them to use this freedom to delve into their true power just as she was. Yet for all her power, Syndra understood she could not yet hope to stop the retaliation coming from those afraid of her greatness. For that, she turned to the Summoners at the Institute of War to secure protection - and her own personal training grounds...

"True power isn't to be feared, but controlled by those with the will to do so."
-Syndra

After studying Riot's biography for her, they do seem to want to make an Ionian that isn't 'noble' or 'wise' as they're typically thought of. However, as she is currently she is more in line with Noxian ideology than she is an inversion of Ionian balance and restraint. I am curious at what kind of dilemma could arise from her being mixed blooded - raised by an Ionian and Noxian, having two very different social values to shape her perspective. This is the central theme of my refinement attempt - try to merge an ideology based on individual power meshing with ideology based on harmony and humility.

Her title as a sovereign was a bit weird, as there is no indication in her biography of any people or things for her to rule over. A floating castle is something to rule over, but a floating castle doesn't have personality. With that in mind I injected in some loose references to others who were placed in a similar situation - other people having their own power dampened/stolen. In this she would have a type of kinship with these people : rejects/unwanted that are feared and isolated, rather than nurtured. As the strongest of these people, her being their ruler/teacher after the mentor is killed would be fitting of her title.

Even in my rewrite she is still kinda in the Xerath boat, but better distinguished I think. Xerath reached for arcane power beyond mortal comprehension, ascending into a being of pure magic. Syndra doesn't appear to be quite at that point, and her interests seem to be much more earth bound. It could be understood that where Xerath is a philosophical mage who unwittingly did bad things to get his power, Syndra might willingly do bad things to expand her own power. They're in essence the same trope portrayed at two different extremes, if that makes sense.

I'm interested to know what people think, and if I helped make her interesting - or if I should just not do things like this

Rustmaker

08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Forte View Post
After studying Riot's biography for her, they do seem to want to make an Ionian that isn't 'noble' or 'wise' as they're typically thought of. However, as she is currently she is more in line with Noxian ideology than she is an inversion of Ionian balance and restraint. I am curious at what kind of dilemma could arise from her being mixed blooded - raised by an Ionian and Noxian, having two very different social values to shape her perspective. This is the central theme of my refinement attempt - try to merge an ideology based on individual power meshing with ideology based on harmony and humility.

Her title as a sovereign was a bit weird, as there is no indication in her biography of any people or things for her to rule over. A floating castle is something to rule over, but a floating castle doesn't have personality. With that in mind I injected in some loose references to others who were placed in a similar situation - other people having their own power dampened/stolen. In this she would have a type of kinship with these people : rejects/unwanted that are feared and isolated, rather than nurtured. As the strongest of these people, her being their ruler/teacher after the mentor is killed would be fitting of her title.

Even in my rewrite she is still kinda in the Xerath boat, but better distinguished I think. Xerath reached for arcane power beyond mortal comprehension, ascending into a being of pure magic. Syndra doesn't appear to be quite at that point, and her interests seem to be much more earth bound. It could be understood that where Xerath is a philosophical mage who unwittingly did bad things to get his power, Syndra might willingly do bad things to expand her own power. They're in essence the same trope portrayed at two different extremes, if that makes sense.

I'm interested to know what people think, and if I helped make her interesting - or if I should just not do things like this
Nice one, mate!! This is how her lore shoulda been handled! I love the whole idea of running a school for "gifted mages", she reminds me of a cross between Magneto and Xavier (the pragmatism of Magneto combined with the 'welcoming' aspect of Xavier).

However for some specific criticisms - I really am not sold on the Noxian-Ionian bloodline thing it just seems a little too contrived. Another things is that, you mentioned that "all the students surpassed her" in the school. If the mage died and the students all got even more powerful (including Syndra, of course) wouldn't she still be the weakest mage of the lot. How would the other students let her run the school if she weren't as strong as they were - was her magic somehow more restricted?

Those are the only ones I caught. I'm no master-class writer or editor, but I say keep writing!! It's always nice to see these types of lore rewrites, and yours addresses some of the key issues of her current one. I would have much preferred this lore over the original

Overlord Forte

08-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustmaker View Post
Nice one, mate!! This is how her lore shoulda been handled! I love the whole idea of running a school for "gifted mages", she reminds me of a cross between Magneto and Xavier (the pragmatism of Magneto combined with the 'welcoming' aspect of Xavier).

However for some specific criticisms - I really am not sold on the Noxian-Ionian bloodline thing it just seems a little too contrived. Another things is that, you mentioned that "all the students surpassed her" in the school. If the mage died and the students all got even more powerful (including Syndra, of course) wouldn't she still be the weakest mage of the lot. How would the other students let her run the school if she weren't as strong as they were - was her magic somehow more restricted?

Those are the only ones I caught. I'm no master-class writer or editor, but I say keep writing!! It's always nice to see these types of lore rewrites, and yours addresses some of the key issues of her current one. I would have much preferred this lore over the original
Hi

The Noxian-Ionian bloodline may perhaps be too much, but in presentation is its weakness I think. Having her being an Ionian who raised up in the occupation zone is another possibility, but I noticed any specific time figures are removed from her Riot biography. It may be possible she is quite considerably old, which would invalidate that design possibility. I like the idea of 'conflict of interest' between the two heritages, but it may be inappropriate for her as a character - in being a sovereign, having a strong foundation is probably best.

It introduces some interesting cultural conflict problems, but that is probably not their intent at all.

In regards to the power level differences, this one wasn't explained too clearly because I couldn't decide if it would draw attention away from Syndra. In having others surpass her while she lagged behind, I had envisioned it being a way of saying the others 'falling in line' with what the Old Mage wanted - restraint and control. She remained unchanged, so her power never grew as it was dampened. After being freed, as the main character of her story, I imagine her true power is leagues above the other students present. A bit of clean up would fix this in presentation.

Edit : Also good catch with the Xavier/Magneto influences. They were not in mind when I was writing but it looks to be quite fitting for her in the rewrite I posted.

Kent Mojo

08-25-2012

The Dark Sovereign is neither dark nor a sovereign.

She is also Xerath minus the interesting part. I mean, seriously, after nerfing Katarina's lore to be all about her failing at her job to "humanize" her, the lore team gives us Xerath minus the failure and imprisonment in his past that make him actually interesting, AND minus the transhumanism aspect that makes him cool. She's just...dull. No hooks besides "powerful and wants to be more powerful."

It just adds insult to injury that we originally thought she was Kassadin's daughter and had actual lore potential. Nope! She's just boring. At least Darius has major lore connections that make him interesting and significant. At least Zyra takes Maokai's concept and inverts it. At least Rengar uses an evocative character design that brings to mind associations with the animal kingdom, Predator, and Kraven the Hunter.

Syndra is Xerath minus the interesting bits, and the most significant event in her lore has no consequences or larger significance whatsoever for her. She was powerful, dangerous, and unstable, so she went to a monastery, did training, was held back, and killed her master. Then she became powerful, dangerous, and unstable again. NOTHING IN HER LORE MATTERS.

And seriously. Neither dark nor a sovereign of any sort.

StarkRavenMad

08-25-2012

I like it. Its not your usual Ionian Shpeel on how they're perfectly balanced, and how Noxus stole their sandwich. She's an Ionian with her own ideals. she's her own person. She felt she was being treated unfairly, and she acted accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlord Forte View Post
A lot of text

Didn't see this, but I have to ask: what does bloodline have to do with personal beliefs? A Noxian parent does not make you instantly power hungry. My dad is a temperamental fellow that hates all things nerd. So, what? We're slaves to our parent's past? That seems a bit wrong, in my personal point of view.

123456 ... 8