Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need some help with Rengar.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EzPzGuy

08-24-2012

Hello,

I bought Rengar yesterday, and I didn't really have any luck with him. I don't really know what I'm doing wrong.

This is what I build:

-Ionian Boots of Lucidity
-Frozen Mallet
-Youmuu's Ghostblade
-The Bloodthirster
-Infinity Edge
-The Black Cleaver

I try to build cooldown reduction because then I can do a decent amount of damage in a
1 vs 1 fight with my Q.

So my first question is; should I continue playing with this build? Or do something different? (By the way, I'm not jungling with him.)

My second question is; when should I use my ult? I mostly use it when someone has only 1/4 of his health left, so I can leap him, Q him, and finish him off.

My thirth question is; what is my role in teamfights? I don't really know what to do in teamfights... Except trying to finish people off with my Q.

I don't know what I do wrong with him, I keep failing.
I hope you guys can give some tips!

Thank you very much in advance!

(My opinion about Rengar:

He looks awesome. But he could use a small buff, I don't know how they do it, but that's just my opinion.)

Cx Strike

08-24-2012

No necklace in your build, which should be your main source of ad. Even without stacks, it gives you well worth 800g in ad as you level. rengar isn't a very strong laning champ, but if you do, you really need heart of gold and randuins, intead of infy and bt. You don't need the damage if you have your necklace. Instead of a mallet, get a tri-force, the sheen proc with your double q will give greater damage that way. If you do need armor pen, it shouldn't be in the laning phase, and thats where black cleaver is most effective. Getting a last whisper is better, and makes you more effective in team fights. You should get a frozen heart as well, just for the armor and the attack debuff, as your main role in teamfights is to shut down the ad carry or at least zone them out. Ghostblade is okay, but again, your necklace should provide enough ad. If you get focused down, pick up a GA.

You can use your ult to kill someone with low health, but usually there is brush you can do that from. Mostly, i think its better that you use your ult to initiate, or at least jump on the carry when the fight starts to shut them down. Pick out the high damage quishies and take them down and the rest is cake.

Just a note, I don't play rengar, but my teams jungle does, and this seems to work very well. Top lane rengar isn't very good, but it can be done. Range counters him, and anything with a knockback or stun so be careful when you jump on to someone like jayce or vlad (he'll just pool).

Anyway, hope this helps.

Cx Strike

08-24-2012

Oh and if you need mr, get a force of nature

Togekiss24

08-24-2012

I own Rengar.

Personally, I find him a little weak as a jungler because he's just not as fast-paced, so I typically lane with him.

Remember Rengar's passive. In laning you can abuse it to dodge targeting and even harass a bit against some melee-based champs. Another thing is don't be afraid to spam skills. You are manaless, and using them on minions (while still last-hitting, mind you) will build up your gaugue. The bonus effect of his W is what gives him sustainability, and keeping it full for a bit will also leave you better prepared for ganks. Keep in mind, you need to know what he can trade hit's with and what he can't (Strike described this perfectly).

On the build, I agree with Strike in that you should get the necklace, even if you don't have many stacks. From there, I'd replace the boots with either Merc's Treads (Rengar is very CC vulnerable) or Beserkers (if you think you'll do well). The additional effect of his Q gives him some DPS in his autoattacks, so getting CD reduction isn't really a priority. Also, prioritize Tri Force and Bloodthirstier as a part of your core, the rest you can build tanky items.

For his ult, you can use it both offensively and defensively. If you are being chased, you can use it in a bush and get away easily. In teamfights, you can use it to target high-priority targets (carries, for instance) and take them out. The latter kind of answers your third question, but always let your true tanks initiate, regardless of what you play.

Cx Strike

08-24-2012

Quote:
Togekiss24:
I own Rengar.

Personally, I find him a little weak as a jungler because he's just not as fast-paced, so I typically lane with him.

If you max w first, he's much faster than you'd think. Rengar is all about building that ferocity bonus. Maxing w decreases its cooldown, and gives you more sustain in the jungle, and more full ferocity ganks. Maxing q gives you more damage, but you still have to wait too long for your bonus.

EzPzGuy

08-25-2012

Thanks guys, I'll try what you guys told me.

And yeah, I forgot about the necklace in my threat, I build it after my shoes. Sorry.

Anyway, thanks for the help!