Fighting Evil By Moonlight: Top Lane Diana guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shrimpsess

08-23-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=32708

Quick runes: Magic Penetration Marks, Armor Seals, Magic Resistance per level Glyphs, Ability Power Quints

Quick Masteries: 21/3/6 (3 in Attack Damage in offence, the rest being traditional AP masteries, 3 in armor or MR in the defence tree depending on matchup, 6 for the mana regen in Utility)

Quikc Build: Sorcerer's Shoes, Nashor's Tooth, Abyssal Scepter, Rabadon's Deathcap, Randuins Omen, Lichbane

Ninja tabi if losing vs AD, merc treads if losing vs AP
____

Welcome, my name is Shrimpsess and I am an 1800 Elo season 2 League of Legends player. I am a top laner and support player. This guide will focus on Diana's top lane potential. Diana was only recently released, and learning all the matchups top will take time, in addition, you can't always be so certain as to whether the opponent you are playing is just bad, or if Diana is a good matchup against their champion, so this guide is definitely a work in progress. I will make notes on every matchup as I experience them.

So, why play Diana top lane? Well, top lane is the only role I enjoy to a large extent (besides support), and I'm already skilled in that area. Diana has tools to deal with top lane champions due to her strong kill power and her shield, which makes for efficient trades. She has an easier time vs melee pre-6 due to her being melee herself. If Diana goes mid, you are taking that space away from a Karthus, or a Cassiopeia, or an Anivia, all champions that cannot top lane very well (depending on matchup of course). Diana doesn't provide the strong aoe damage and range of those champions. Top laners in general take on an assassin role mid game anyway (Riven, Jax, Darius, Olaf, for example), so assassin's feel very nice up there. Now, Diana is an alright jungler, her clear times are very good and stay that way, and her ganks can be good after level 6, but she can't perform the role of a tanky jungler very well, which is very popular and quite necessary right now. Finally, she is pretty money hungry and snowballs strongly. For all these reasons, I feel Diana is a solid top lane pick and may in fact be her best place, but only time will tell.

Originally I was going to include a glass cannon build and a more traditional tanky AP build, but I decided to just focus on the nashor's tooth tanky DPS top lane build.

So, I know what you are thinking. "Why Nashor's tooth?!" Or more likely, "Nashor's Tooth sucks!" Well for most champions, you are correct. However, on Diana...well she loves every stat it gives. AP, Mana regen, Attack speed (for her passive, which she needs as a melee champion), and CDR (!) I have tried the other choices, and I've always felt more powerful with Nashor's tooth. For top lane in particular, Nashor's Tooth has enabled me to barely beat out other champions who I otherwise would not have been able to kill before dying, due to the attack speed activating the passive. Again, the passive does more damage then her ultimate. It's important. Plus it will enable you to take the tower if you are winning your lane and your opponent has decided to roam, and then you can roam as well.

The rest of the guide is located in the solomid link, here it is again if you need it:

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=32708

Please leave a like or an upvote and/or a comment if you enjoyed the read! Thanks for your time

Omas Raine

08-23-2012

Diana is the one named Sailor Moon.

Shrimpsess

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omas Raine View Post
Diana is the one named Sailor Moon.
Sure is

BeachamIV

08-23-2012

**** beat me to it

Shrimpsess

08-24-2012

She never runs from a real fight.

Shrimpsess

08-24-2012

8/24/2012 Updated

Added alternate masteries and runes with images
Added "Items to Avoid" in Item Build chapter
Added Darius Matchup
Added brief Jungling section
Added "Nerf Examination" section for the incoming nerfs
Cleaned up Skill Order
Cleaned up Mid Game chapter, adding information on roaming.