Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mid level hero that will never be banned in ranked games?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

imhuge

09-15-2010

Akali or Kassadin is a good counter to a lot of carries and can snowball well
Heimer is very rarely banned now and is still able to give trouble to a lot of players

Minrog

09-16-2010

Quote:
Xanthyr:
Learn Gragas, he fits multiple roles in whatever the team needs including tank, ap, and ad. I've never heard of him being banned, but I'm also over 2:1 ratio with him. Can't get enough of the guy.

Gragas was banned in the later rounds (at least some matches) of the Razor Twisted Treeline Tournament. There aren't really any guaranteed guys who will never be banned, in 6 months the mid tier guys might be considered top tier and all the ones we see now (Morgana, Amumu, ect) may be trash.

I suggest that you find a few guys who aren't too different in playstyle and learn those so you can always have an option. If you like Nasus, I've found that Morgana is the caster copy version of him and you might have an easy time learning her.

Unr3alAnGeR

09-16-2010

Janna
Olaf
Galio

All been mentioned, but are probably just about the three most underappreciated heroes in the game, and all of whom offer great support to their team.

sbudeeG

09-16-2010

I'm playing Gangplank more recently, an I have to say, I like him. I hear that he is very weak and all that.. but I don't see why. His ult, while luck-based, is insanely powerful, offering both cc and damage in a very large area. When combined with ults like Kennen, Amumu, Nunu, and Miss Fortune (as well as others), it is one of the best, especially because of it's global range. The other ult's with global range all take time to reach the other side of the map, which sometimes means that they will accomplish very little. Gangplank's, however, happens when you click the area. Very, very effective in turning the tides during lane-phase, ganks, and can even be used to initiate in a team without an effective tank. On top of that, Parrrley is an excellent ability, with it's long range, in addition to applying on-hit effects. When combined with Frozen Mallet and Raise Morale, there is nobody that is running away from him. And the entire time, he is hitting you for 400-500 damage with a moderate damage build, up to 1500+ with heavy damage builds and a critical hit. Yi coming for the team from behind? Auto-attack + Parrley... Yi dead. Next! Rhyze spam casting from the background? Parrrley just dropped him to 1/2 health or (usually) less. Gangplank is the ultimate carry-killer.

His drawback is very similar to Pantheon's, however... This cannon is made of glass. At a shameful 1500ish hp, he isn't very hard to kill if you can catch him (which is very hard to do, as I can routinely get him to 500ms without building any kind of speed, and Remove Scurvy makes him great at avoiding Crowd Control).

Chakki

09-16-2010

Quote:
Minrog:
Gragas was banned in the later rounds (at least some matches) of the Razor Twisted Treeline Tournament. There aren't really any guaranteed guys who will never be banned, in 6 months the mid tier guys might be considered top tier and all the ones we see now (Morgana, Amumu, ect) may be trash.

I suggest that you find a few guys who aren't too different in playstyle and learn those so you can always have an option. If you like Nasus, I've found that Morgana is the caster copy version of him and you might have an easy time learning her.

That's because Gragas is top tier on TT, not on SR, though. I doubt you'll see many bans on him on SR.

nOkay

09-16-2010

I play Sion, and he is amazing, never banned and your stunns, with a half decent team will ALWAYS get you a good KDA...
He is epic

Pyriana

09-16-2010

I don't play ranked games yet (not even 20) so I probably have no place speaking my input here but I'd like to chime in and say that Akali is a great carry counter (though not vs all carries), her biggest problem is oracle elixirs and AoE, stuns/roots/etc often times are a non issue for her because you can drop your shroud as it's coming at you and you're effectively cc'd while invisible...

She has extreme burst with an AP build and a snowballing Mejai's and if you manage to get 10+ stacks you'll be feared, as well as targeted.

With flash and another form of escape or even teleport (you can teleport in your shroud while invis) your gorilla tactics in the middle of team fights will not only add confusion but death and mayhem, as any good assassin shall do...

Alas, she is not very good toe to toe with most any champ but hit and run tactics are a huge forte, I'll often find people chasing me when I'm low health and I toss a mark on them to slow them (with rylai's) and they keep chasing then you can jump back on them and 2-3 shot them before they take you down while you're safe in your shroud...

I probably make her sound more glamorous/amazing than she actually is, but that's probably because she feels like she was pretty much built for me...

I agree with what others have posted though, expand your horizon, try every character at least a few times, learn them, learn their strengths and weaknesses, it will help you in the long run...

sbudeeG

09-16-2010

Quote:
Pyriana:
I don't play ranked games yet (not even 20) so I probably have no place speaking my input here but I'd like to chime in and say that Akali is a great carry counter (though not vs all carries), her biggest problem is oracle elixirs and AoE, stuns/roots/etc often times are a non issue for her because you can drop your shroud as it's coming at you and you're effectively cc'd while invisible...

She has extreme burst with an AP build and a snowballing Mejai's and if you manage to get 10+ stacks you'll be feared, as well as targeted.

With flash and another form of escape or even teleport (you can teleport in your shroud while invis) your gorilla tactics in the middle of team fights will not only add confusion but death and mayhem, as any good assassin shall do...

Alas, she is not very good toe to toe with most any champ but hit and run tactics are a huge forte, I'll often find people chasing me when I'm low health and I toss a mark on them to slow them (with rylai's) and they keep chasing then you can jump back on them and 2-3 shot them before they take you down while you're safe in your shroud...

I probably make her sound more glamorous/amazing than she actually is, but that's probably because she feels like she was pretty much built for me...

I agree with what others have posted though, expand your horizon, try every character at least a few times, learn them, learn their strengths and weaknesses, it will help you in the long run...

Mostly true. However, When standing in her shroud, she gains a huge boost in tenacity, making her a true terror when she comes in. Thing is... she destroys ALL carries. Yi? Owned. MF? Owned. Tristana? Owned. She is the best at what she does: straight up combat. She is adept at leaping in and out of combat, making it very hard to kill her, and also very easy to pick off the enemy carry. In my honest opinion, she is one of, if not the, best mid-level champions. Her problem? You will become every taunter/stunner's target. Every single time. And they will get oracle's elixers. You will very quickly find that you will only enjoy relative safety in combat until around level 15, when the enemy team is fed up with you and decides that you will be the target of their cc's. Snares are especially bad for her, since she loses the ability to use her ult when snared, and can even be snare mid-use.

peyo

09-16-2010

Gragas for tank, Kassadin for AP

never seen them banned, doing great with both of them, using the same rune page (HP, MPen, mp5/lvl x2) :P

xahhfink6

09-16-2010

Quote:
sbudeeG:
Mostly true. However, When standing in her shroud, she gains a huge boost in tenacity, making her a true terror when she comes in. Thing is... she destroys ALL carries. Yi? Owned. MF? Owned. Tristana? Owned. She is the best at what she does: straight up combat. She is adept at leaping in and out of combat, making it very hard to kill her, and also very easy to pick off the enemy carry. In my honest opinion, she is one of, if not the, best mid-level champions. Her problem? You will become every taunter/stunner's target. Every single time. And they will get oracle's elixers. You will very quickly find that you will only enjoy relative safety in combat until around level 15, when the enemy team is fed up with you and decides that you will be the target of their cc's. Snares are especially bad for her, since she loses the ability to use her ult when snared, and can even be snare mid-use.

A tank grabs oracles, master yi devours akali for breakfast and aces her team.