Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlexDnD2

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furrp View Post
I think getting suspended from the game, rather than permabanned is reasonable and just. Just sit in time out and wait, and take the suspension as a "WARNING"...
A warning for doing something that was never punishable in the past? Sorry but when I want to do X and someone says you can't do X despite confirming to their demands that I change behavior... yeah that's kinda irritating.

Consider something you do in your daily life that you don't think is wrong. Now be punished for it. If you believe that the punishment was harsh and in-just do you roll over or do you voice your opinion?

yendayo

08-22-2012

I think it is the right decision. Here is simply why,

I have reported people and probably been reported. I have been trolled, harassed etc, but I have never trolled, harassed anyone, leave or afk.

I have never been banned nor warned.

Situational

08-22-2012

Lyte, do you have the luxury and time to check my history on how many complaints/reports I have received? I have played since Summer '09~, and I have had mean or troll (not feeding, just riling up teammates in chat, but still playing the game) streaks from time to time. I'm just curious, that's all.

Thanks for banning. This should happen more often. It is in Riot's best interest to weed out "toxic" players. Losing the business from a small amount of "toxic" players to ensure that said players don't drive away the rest of the players is worth it, in my opinion.

Salvationier

08-22-2012

I dnt understand how you can ban people for abusing a function YOU as Riot put into the game. Thats a little but ridiculous to me.

Yes I agree its very anoyying when you have to deal with the people threatening to fasle report you, but leave it to the tribunal if they do it enoug they will eventually end up there.

If you really want to make Reporting abuse disapear make it so you actually have to write the persons name down open up a seprate tab in the game and right out a report ticket.

People arnt going to go out of thier way to do this if its not as easy as clicking a button anymore.

But the people who really deserve a report and offended someone that someone is going to go out of thier way to do somthing to make it so they never have to play with the toxic player again.

I just really dont get how you can ban people for abusing YOUR features. Like you said it was a hard decison but its like the same thing as the language filter. If cursing offendeds you and you know your going to report someone for it dont turn it off... Make people have to sign an agreement not to report language if they turn it off.

Banning people for using features implemented by the company making the game is jsut idk...

Thats like Bioware banning acounts when you could /dance in a Raid boss to make it stop attacking due to be programming...

GrowlyGuts

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by grybranix View Post
I actually did, which is kind of funny since I haven't played a single game since I saw the numbers on the Kat nerf. And I won't play a single game more until Shunpo gets un-nerfed back to how it was.

Yes, I will report someone who "gets fed up" with the team and intentionally dies at the end to finish the game when his allies are trying. Yes, I will tell him he's a giant ******bag in chat.
Yes, you will get banned.

Why are you even posting about this if you decided not to play because your favorite item from the old video game spank-bank got nerfed anyway?

Blowholez

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I can't keep up with multiple threads, so I'm going to consolidate the information here. I am happy to answer questions in this thread; however, I cannot look up everyone's account and provide comments about their account's behavior history. If you have a legitimate, reasonable request, I'll look into a few accounts here and there.

---

Our Player Support teams actually sweep accounts for toxic behaviors on a frequent basis and we've empowered them to hand out direct bans as necessary without prior warnings if they catch players displaying excessive racism, bigotry, or other toxic behaviors in their matches. We use these sweeps to determine whether we are doing enough for our community and to check the accuracy and speed of systems such as the Tribunal and LeaverBuster. The Tribunal is just one piece of the solution to player behavior, but we realized we need to do more.

We've been receiving a lot of complaints from our community about how the act of reporting has created a more toxic environment for other players; players will write in about having a poor game and someone screaming profanities at them and threatening them with reports and bans.

Because of these complaints, we decided to run analyses and metrics against some of the players who reported the highest number of players in the game (after normalizing for games played and all that fun math stuff). We found something a bit surprising and a bit shocking. There were some players that had reported over 1000 times more players than the average player in the population! In addition, these players were often extremely toxic in their games and had repeated cases that were punished in the Tribunal. When we analyzed chat logs in this population, we noticed that they were using reports in an offensive and abusive manner. For example, these players would often say "Enjoy your report f@ggot!" or "everyone in this game, plz report this n*gger." Not all players behaved in this way, but these players were consistently negative towards their teammates in their matches and often tried to convince others to report someone in the game. Many of these players reported for issues (such as playing a poor game) that were not legitimate according to Riot staff standards.

The decision we made today was not easy. It was actually quite sad and a bit depressing for me. We knew that we had never banned for something like this in the past; however, as we dug into the data more, we realized how toxic these players were to their teammates and their opponents and we knew that a verbal warning would not be enough.

These are players that were abusing our report feature and using it as a tool to bully, criticize and frustrate other players in the game. These players that try to get decent players banned from the game! Many of these players already had Tribunal histories and already had their report weights set to 0, but we felt that these acts were distinct enough that an additional punishment was warranted because the Tribunal was not designed to combat abusive reporting.

Today, we decided to give a 7-day timeout to players who were the worst 0.2% of players who abused the report feature and had displayed toxic behavior in their recent matches.

The bans were harsh, I agree. But, we felt they were warranted given the level of abuse these players were involved with. I will continue to answer questions in this thread, let's keep it constructive.
1) "and we knew verbal warnings were not enough" how??
2) appreciate the time spent lyte, in conclusion, do our opinions matter about the days banned, 7 days will be the amount no matter what we say

The Parasomniac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Lyte, you asked me and a couple of others to reach out to you through a support ticket, so I took great care in writing something and sending it in a support ticket addressed to you in the subject line. Would really appreciate it if you read it.

Twistana

08-22-2012

Reporting trolls is now too risky to do.

The trolls win again, touchee riot, touchee.

Happy Orin

08-22-2012

Lyte, can you tell me how I was doing? I myself rage pretty often. I spammed reports. But it feels like I've been alienated for being passionate about a game. I'm sure others also feel this way. Please tell me how badly I screwed it up and lay it on the table.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012
5 of 142 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDnD2 View Post
Also made worse because the first E-mail Riot sent didn't include details about using the report function. Kind of amateurish.
I personally apologize about this. Automatic messaging was sent out when a player's account is given a non-Tribunal ban and the correct messaging was sent afterwards in a queue.

This was my fault and we'll take extra measures in the future to improve messaging.