Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

yendayo

08-22-2012

People are forgetting the fact that to Riot, players are vital, especially and mostly the paying ones. So every time Riot ban someone, they risk the company of less earning. Then why do they do it? Those that make it to the answer will know that this decision made by Riot is pure.

Rurumiki

08-22-2012

Any chances that you could have a gander at my post? I posted about half an hour ago, I'm on page 28, about halfway down.

Then again, I may just end up embarrassing myself. =(

I really wish these were done on a case-by-case basis instead of a sweep, I can't help but feel that a handful may be innocent (not necessarily myself, either).

Crow AU

08-22-2012

Hi lyte, I usually report every leaver i come across and try my hardest to never leave a game, and I know i do sometimes say "i'm done, i'm afk, afk" or something along those lines but then i sigh and continue to try and win the game, I know i swear alot and currently i'm trying to keep my negative attitude to myself by playing with friends and controlling my emotions It's hard but i will continue to attempt to become a better player in this game. And can you please give me a general idea of how close i am to being banned? And is it possible for me to get a straight up perma ban? or if i do become banned will it be a warning? I've never received a ban or warning before (not including forums for that one stupid DOTA2 post i made a long time ago)
P.S Sorry for wall o' text a little nervous...

HookD

08-22-2012

Hello Lyte, I personally think I act pretty bad in game and I'm actually surprised I've never been banned but I've been trying to get better. Could you tell me what my statistics are as far as reports go? I'm really curious to know if I am really as bad as I think I am or if I'm just too hard on myself...

ChaosBloodterfly

08-22-2012

Quote:
Xenomorphica:
I don't give a ****. You're missing the point.
What they need to do is not be so god**** stupid in the first place.
You cannot throw out week long bans without solid evidence to back it up. Assumptions and guesswork based on a scoresheet are meaningless.

Are you for real?
What if the police checked your bank account every so often.
Oh, there's a lot of money started going in, but he's not working any extra. ARREST HIM FOR SELLING DRUGS.

No, evidence is required to make a concrete decision and prove it to justify punishment.

If they're going to be taking action like this, then yes frankly, they should be sitting through the replays. If they're going to throw out statements like 'falsely reporting' they need to see ALL of the information to decide whether it is or not. That is their responsibility.

This is nothing to do with the tribunal, as even they have stated, plenty of banned people have been fine. If the tribunal didn't ban us, then we didn't deserve to be banned. If we did and tribunal didn't ban us, the tribunal doesn't work and should be scrapped. But they claim it does, meaning they just felt like banning us based on their non evidence and assumptions from some statistics.

Personally, I think I've only been warned/punished by tribunal once or twice. I don't think I was ever on it at all before season 2. My behaviour from beta to the end of season 1 was fine. Note; increasing player numbers = more idiots, trolls and awful people ruining your games = more anger in chat and more reports.

It'd be more like throwing somebody in jail for contempt of court. Which does happen.

Momento Morì

08-22-2012

Quote:
Futonlol:
How does abusing the report system have anything to do with this at all?

Because that's the problem they were working on in the first place?

Etgfrog

08-22-2012

there will always be people who see rules and abuse the system for the lulz of getting around the rules

then there are others who have vested interest in trolling, usually to gain money in some way, easiest way getting establishing a better footing in the market...is to give yourself more room, quickest way to do that is to try to prove to their customers that they are incompetent at doing what they said they would be doing...hence what I'd estimate to be roughly 1/4th of the forum thread spam

I'd also estimate about 1/3 is people returning with the desire for revenge since their main got banned and if the system is proven wrong then they would have to have their account reactivated and then proceed to demand compensation for the false ban(yes people are greedy like that)

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012

Quote:
Frostnight:
Lyte, often times I feel like I'm reporting people too much. Although I feel like I'm reporting those who are offensive, I'm afraid that there might be the odd chance I would get banned because of it. Would you be able to tell players when they're reporting people too much inaccurately? Can you tell me where I stand?

You have nothing to worry about. Like someone else I checked earlier... you are about 400x in report weights away from being affected by something like this.

HashyAKAdave

08-22-2012

I only report players who break the summoner's code.

Why did I receive a week long ban for false reporting?

Also, on august 14th I received a week ban and I never got an Email regarding it, I've had a support ticket open for 9 days with no luck.

Lessis

08-22-2012

Quote:
Futonlol:
So on one side you have people that abuse the report feature and on the other side you have toxic players? Weird... why weren't all the toxic players just banned then? Wouldn't that make more sense? How does abusing the report system have anything to do with this at all?

b/c the tribunal failed to ban these players and riot was mad at them still so the made up this way to punish them for a crime they did not commit