Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Scrulox

08-22-2012

Lyte, I really appreciate your work. I have encountered enough jerks in this game that I know something has to be done. These people deserve it.

Momento Morì

08-22-2012

Quote:
Futonlol:
So why even claim it's because of over reporting? Clearly that's not the issue at all. You can't have it both ways. Either it's because of over reporting or it's not. If it's because of toxic game play then that's what the tribunal is for. How's your foot taste?

Because it's not possible to have two pieces of criteria for something.

Jorai

08-22-2012

Lyte, I have never once abused the Tribunal system. Every person I reported (probably around 70% for Unskilled Players) genuinely did deserve it IN THE GAMES I PLAYED WITH THEM. The other 30% were either AFKers, Feeders, or other people their team mates begged me to ban and portrayed it through all-chat. SO WHY AM I BEING SUSPENDED?!??! I WANT TO KNOW!!!!!!! Loyal member of LoL since beta, $$$$ contributor.

I WANT ANSWERS!!!!

ADC OR I FEED

08-22-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
Definitely not. Blank reports are fine if they are against truly toxic players.

An example of a false report is when you report someone for "Offensive Language" when they have been positive all game. Or, when someone has a 0-3 score when the rest of the team has a 0-2 to 0-5 score and you report the 0-3 player for Intentional Feeding.

Have you considered that people who have a 0-3 score while everyone else has a 0-2 to 0-5 but are running in, dying over and over intentionally, and/or not listening are intentionally feeding, which is entirely warranted. I thought this was about intention, not score.

Futonlol

08-22-2012

The best part about all of this is that a lot of people are going to stop reporting because they think they'll get banned for it. In turn the trolls are going to troll harder because they know that no one will want to report them. It's amazing how dumb such educated people can be.

GrowlyGuts

08-22-2012

Quote:
Rooster Raiden:

Then why was this step necessary at all? You say people were using it as a weapon, but if the Tribunal was ignoring them... You basically just contradicted your entire approach to the situation.

"Yeah uh, we banned them because they were toxic and falsely reporting, and that's bad because it can used as a weapon to hurt people who aren't banworthy."

Except no it can't, because the Tribunal is ignoring their reports. In addition, if they are toxic, they will be banned by the Tribunal anyway. The entire thing, by your own admission, was completely unnecessary.

*Disclaimer: I support Riot and like Lyte, but this makes no sense...

I will keep reposting this until he responds to it

Better find a way to make it double bold, then it won't look like you are being purposely obtuse.

There is no unexplained mystery to why the bans happen. Sometimes people are ****s trying to use the tribunal to be bigger ****s. This is undesirable. So bans.

HookD

08-22-2012

Hello Lyte, I personally think I act pretty bad in game and I'm actually surprised I've never been banned but I've been trying to get better. Could you tell me what my statistics are as far as reports go? I'm really curious to know if I am really as bad as I think I am or if I'm just too hard on myself...

Sageoffire

08-22-2012

A few things i wanna ask.

1) I rarly, RARLY, report anyone. I main supports and about the only time I report is if someone goes out of their way to trash talk me for not saving them or whatever. At this point I usually state that i muted them and i carry on with my game, and report them at the end. I am curious, does my action of muting a person actually have any sort of effect on their trash talking? Do you know if they calm down when they realize that they are talking to a wall? I would be interested to know but since they are muted, i cant really tell :P

2) You have glossed over this a few times, but way back when, when people allegedly got banned just for saying something like "gg noobs" at the end of the game. Riot kinda set a precedent to report for ANYTHING that might seen even slightly offensive or rude. Now people are being punished in part for their massive amounts of reporting, many of these reports probably being for that really silly reason of someone saying 'gg noobs'. You guys are sending mixed messages. SHOULD we be reporting for really stupid reasons, even if its arguably legitimate? I personally dont, but alot of other players probably do, because they were told they should.

Burungeru

08-22-2012

After seeing how my friend reports in games and his actions/playing, I'm honestly not surprised in the least that about this announcement. I'd place my friend as a 70 out of 100, and he's always one who wants to report someone after a game for feeding or something. I generally avoid it unless it's for afkers (do I even need to report AFKers?).

I don't want to go stray this too much, but when you mentioned champion statistics, does it also keep track of how often a player plays a champion and how they average with it based on your estimated ELO deviations? As an example (and I don't expect an answer, I just need something): I feel really good about my Pantheon. Based on how often I play him/how I do with him, are you able to estimate the ELO for an individual Pantheon, or do you base it solely on how a summoner would do in their respective bracket?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012

Quote:
Lasie:
So I am confused about the "We've actually already reset report weights to 0 for players who have been abusing the report feature; however, for the worst abusers we felt like we had to do more and added an additional 7-day timeout". Are you saying that as of this point every player that has reported thousands of innocent people now have a "clean slate" for reporting and much behave in the same manner for a period of time before they will be banned again?

Ah, I mean their reports are now worth 0 and are ignored by the Tribunal.