Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrawnJohn

08-22-2012

Good read, I support the ban of these "toxic X 100k" players.

However...

I really feel a warning should have been placed somewhere in the public eye about "Excessive reporting" or anything along those lines. If there was, I didn't see it, and I play the game as much as the next guy, and lurk the forums to boot.

Though you said if we had requests we could make them, given they were reasonable.

Though I'm genuinely concerned about keeping out of the "bananned zone", I would like to ask if I you could pull up how frequently I've been reported? Nothing more. :P

Thanks in advance if you get around to it, Lyte.

PootPoot Balance

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDnD2 View Post
My main account is AlexDnD - you've responded once but not again when I asked for clarification.

I was suspended. I felt like I reformed to the best of my knowledge I maybe played 4 or 5 games. This happened within the last few days. Did you re-ban my account based on statistics and information (including the supposed toxic "recent" behavior) from prior to my suspension or after my suspension?

A general question - Why so vindictive? Why not just disable the reporting feature for the people who report falsely? Why not just WARN people this could happen? Why do it this way? This seems like deliberate provocation.
I think getting suspended from the game, rather than permabanned is reasonable and just. Just sit in time out and wait, and take the suspension as a "WARNING"...

slayeur

08-22-2012

I don't mean to drag this out as I can go in much detail about what is wrong with what has just happened, and I'm not expecting a response because I certainly know RIOT employees do not care and are fed up with people spamming but my question is:

In most of your reasoning you tend to say "these people tend to be toxic players and lead to other people having less enjoyable games and are better banned, but the problem here is,(and its pretty obvious) why are you banning them for making false reports (how to guarantee these, you cant. You would have to follow each person and a human cannot do this for a game that millions of people play)...they made false reports, but that doesn't mean that they ARE toxic players...they might tend to be, but if they TEND to be, then please have them banned for that, don't make the assumption and throw that in this argument..its very unprofessional and it leads people to begin leaving your game. Its like saying...You live in a community with terrible people and with people who have a bad history, you are also an African american, I will now punish you for what you seem to be

TLDR: Bans are clearly unjust, I'm not looking to start up a riot or anything(no pun intended), but rather trying to just open peoples' eyes to how ridiculous of actions are being made, and being accepted as okay.

GET BACK TO ME ON THAT, PROVE ME WRONG PLZ

Mahgnificent

08-22-2012

I like this idea Lyte.

But, I'd also like to ask, how does PB&J view cases? I know recently I have been doing extremely poor in ranked games and lost over 100 elo and not being of any use to my team. I've probably been reported in a good amount of games because of it. I don't think I've full out raged in any games but I'd like to know how many games I've been reported in and how the community thinks of the game and my responses.

MagiCaz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Your account has very few reports received and although you do report a fair number of players, you aren't extremely toxic about it. I wouldn't worry about stuff like this in your case. I wouldn't provoke players by saying "Muted and reported" but you aren't necessarily at risk either.
Thank you for the quick reply and clarification. I will probably just start actually muting the teammate until I cool off and not say anything about it. This is what I needed to know.

Xenomorphica

08-22-2012

Same as the other threads; show evidence.

It's that simple. Telling someone they've reported a lot isn't evidence, show me specifically which reports were 'false' and show me the criteria by which you deem them to be so.

I'm also stating, categorically right here and now, that if you do not watch the replays then you cannot make that judgement call on false reporting without a large margin of error.
Are you telling me that you watched all my recent replays?

nickelbagschwagg

08-22-2012

Banning for something that wasn't bannable in the past is like a police officer telling someone they are under arrest for breaking a law they made up seconds ago. Not giving the community warning was a scumbag move to say the least.

ilabode

08-22-2012

It needed to be done.
That said.
I'm happy not to be you right now.

Lessis

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I can't keep up with multiple threads, so I'm going to consolidate the information here. I am happy to answer questions in this thread; however, I cannot look up everyone's account and provide comments about their account's behavior history. If you have a legitimate, reasonable request, I'll look into a few accounts here and there.

---

Our Player Support teams actually sweep accounts for toxic behaviors on a frequent basis and we've empowered them to hand out direct bans as necessary without prior warnings if they catch players displaying excessive racism, bigotry, or other toxic behaviors in their matches. We use these sweeps to determine whether we are doing enough for our community and to check the accuracy and speed of systems such as the Tribunal and LeaverBuster. The Tribunal is just one piece of the solution to player behavior, but we realized we need to do more.

We've been receiving a lot of complaints from our community about how the act of reporting has created a more toxic environment for other players; players will write in about having a poor game and someone screaming profanities at them and threatening them with reports and bans.

Because of these complaints, we decided to run analyses and metrics against some of the players who reported the highest number of players in the game (after normalizing for games played and all that fun math stuff). We found something a bit surprising and a bit shocking. There were some players that had reported over 1000 times more players than the average player in the population! In addition, these players were often extremely toxic in their games and had repeated cases that were punished in the Tribunal. When we analyzed chat logs in this population, we noticed that they were using reports in an offensive and abusive manner. For example, these players would often say "Enjoy your report f@ggot!" or "everyone in this game, plz report this n*gger." Not all players behaved in this way, but these players were consistently negative towards their teammates in their matches and often tried to convince others to report someone in the game. Many of these players reported for issues (such as playing a poor game) that were not legitimate according to Riot staff standards.

The decision we made today was not easy. It was actually quite sad and a bit depressing for me. We knew that we had never banned for something like this in the past; however, as we dug into the data more, we realized how toxic these players were to their teammates and their opponents and we knew that a verbal warning would not be enough.

These are players that were abusing our report feature and using it as a tool to bully, criticize and frustrate other players in the game. These players that try to get decent players banned from the game! Many of these players already had Tribunal histories and already had their report weights set to 0, but we felt that these acts were distinct enough that an additional punishment was warranted because the Tribunal was not designed to combat abusive reporting.

Today, we decided to give a 7-day timeout to players who were the worst 0.2% of players who abused the report feature and had displayed toxic behavior in their recent matches.

The bans were harsh, I agree. But, we felt they were warranted given the level of abuse these players were involved with. I will continue to answer questions in this thread, let's keep it constructive.
if you ban them for other stuff then put that in the email you can not expect them to reform without giving them the tools to do so

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012
3 of 142 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehWasteOne View Post
What if one wanted to report every feeder in his/her games for unskilled player? would that still be considered false reports and/or punishable?
It really depends. If the player was truly intentional feeding, you are fine. If a player was 0-5 when everyone else on the team was 0-4 or 0-3.. you probably are a bit too strict with your reports.