Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EspeonageTieler

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumble Bot View Post
trevorwhatever's situaion has already been addressed by Lyte and Pendragon and he's even been given a personal response in a previous thread.

He's been one of the more vocal people about his ban and is still in denial of it despite Lyte having pointed out examples of his bad behavior in game and provided abhorrent numbers of how frequently it happens.

IN fact his first reaction to being "Lyte Smited' was to spam dozens threads on General Discussion, choosing to ignore this personal reply he was given and fearmonger people into believing that using the Tribunal system will get you banned
ive never seen him call someone a ****er

trevorwhatever

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Quote:
trevorwhatever's situaion has already been addressed by Lyte and Pendragon and he's even been given a personal response in a previous thread.

He's been one of the more vocal people about his ban and is still in denial of it despite Lyte having pointed out examples of his bad behavior in game and provided abhorrent numbers of how frequently it happens.

IN fact his first reaction to being "Lyte Smited' was to spam dozens threads on General Discussion, choosing to ignore this personal reply he was given and fearmonger people into believing that using the Tribunal system will get you banned
do you have a link to this response because I have not seen it

Bow To The Void

08-23-2012

Glad we are removing the cracked bricks in this wall we build as a community. <3

TotalDisorder

Recruiter

08-23-2012

So if riot uses the tribunal to determine "false reports" and has said already that they would be "more strict" in punishing cases than the tribunal base....

This means that you can report someone, tribunal find them innocent, even though riot would have found them guilty, and since this person was pardoned, it counts as a "false report".

Good stuff.

Karolina

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADC OR I FEED View Post
I have been trying. As politely as I can manage, considering my massive level of dissatisfaction with Riot in the last year or so and that I have lost access to content I bought over this fiasco.

I have not attacked Lyte, nor do I blame Lyte personally. I have asked numerous questions politely and done my best to try to be constuctive.
Not talking about you (I don't remember your posts more than a page or two back !), but some people in this thread (the most vocal ones incidentally) surely didn't.

And there are instances of people refusing to understand that what they did is considered offensive by Riot after Lyte posted what they did wrong.

trevorwhatever

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Quote:

he has not once rsponded to any of my questions asking for proof the only thing he said to me was friendly banter wont get you banned

Lycan Von Wolf

08-23-2012

This is literally stupid I've actually been told to kill myself and this and that in this game and you are trying to tell me my report for this action meant nothing because I am unlucky enough to get paired up consistently with people who are jerks or just plan wont stop feeding. When I say feeding I mean dying 5 times with in 10 mins and not take any advice to stop it. Statistics can be extremely misleading I report people who i think deserve being reported and that is it. If the tribunal doesn't agree with me then that's on them I don't report people for no reason. Sorry unlike how you want people to lay down and die to every troll or d bag out there I was raised to defend myself. If I wasn't worried about being reported and banned for refusing to communicate I would mute everyone as soon as the game started just in case someone is a ****** bag and this would prevent 99% of my reports. Someone tell me how the refusing to communicate report option works please. If Riot doesn't mind not talking in game or responding to my team give me a option to permanently disable my chat so I never have this problem again

ADC OR I FEED

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karolina View Post
Not talking about you (I don't remember your posts more than a page or two back !), but some people in this thread (the most vocal ones incidentally) surely didn't.

And there are instances of people refusing to understand that what they did is considered offensive by Riot after Lyte posted what they did wrong.
Here's the thing: If the Code and the report options are not a good guideline to decide when to report, then Riot needs to give us more information to use - not ban people for following their guidelines and using their own judgement.

Which is what happened to me.

BehemothClaw6

08-23-2012

I have actually been waiting for over 2 hours since an earlier page to get a response myself. Most of this forum is filled with people who are unaffected talking either about how its unfair, trolling or asking for a review and getting more responses despite being unaffected. I have only seen a few times where they serve people and one of the forums where I believe there was proof enough for the person who started it to get pardoned no further replies occured. I have also opened up threads myself and they get scrolled to the next page never to be seen.

Painful Dream

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
I can't keep up with multiple threads, so I'm going to consolidate the information here. I am happy to answer questions in this thread; however, I cannot look up everyone's account and provide comments about their account's behavior history. If you have a legitimate, reasonable request, I'll look into a few accounts here and there.

---

Our Player Support teams actually sweep accounts for toxic behaviors on a frequent basis and we've empowered them to hand out direct bans as necessary without prior warnings if they catch players displaying excessive racism, bigotry, or other toxic behaviors in their matches. We use these sweeps to determine whether we are doing enough for our community and to check the accuracy and speed of systems such as the Tribunal and LeaverBuster. The Tribunal is just one piece of the solution to player behavior, but we realized we need to do more.

We've been receiving a lot of complaints from our community about how the act of reporting has created a more toxic environment for other players; players will write in about having a poor game and someone screaming profanities at them and threatening them with reports and bans.

Because of these complaints, we decided to run analyses and metrics against some of the players who reported the highest number of players in the game (after normalizing for games played and all that fun math stuff). We found something a bit surprising and a bit shocking. There were some players that had reported over 1000 times more players than the average player in the population! In addition, these players were often extremely toxic in their games and had repeated cases that were punished in the Tribunal. When we analyzed chat logs in this population, we noticed that they were using reports in an offensive and abusive manner. For example, these players would often say "Enjoy your report f@ggot!" or "everyone in this game, plz report this n*gger." Not all players behaved in this way, but these players were consistently negative towards their teammates in their matches and often tried to convince others to report someone in the game. Many of these players reported for issues (such as playing a poor game) that were not legitimate according to Riot staff standards.

The decision we made today was not easy. It was actually quite sad and a bit depressing for me. We knew that we had never banned for something like this in the past; however, as we dug into the data more, we realized how toxic these players were to their teammates and their opponents and we knew that a verbal warning would not be enough.

These are players that were abusing our report feature and using it as a tool to bully, criticize and frustrate other players in the game. These players that try to get decent players banned from the game! Many of these players already had Tribunal histories and already had their report weights set to 0, but we felt that these acts were distinct enough that an additional punishment was warranted because the Tribunal was not designed to combat abusive reporting.

Today, we decided to give a 7-day timeout to players who were the worst 0.2% of players who abused the report feature and had displayed toxic behavior in their recent matches.

The bans were harsh, I agree. But, we felt they were warranted given the level of abuse these players were involved with. I will continue to answer questions in this thread, let's keep it constructive.
I wonder how hard you guys worked on this. Not only do you call the people banned bullies and say they ONLY use reports for negative reasons, but you also stated that some people have reported over 1000 times more than the average LoL player. Well guess what, what if you are trolled every game? You will report. Also considering the fact that the "average" LoL player probably doesn't even report 1/2 per game (statistic wise). What if 5 people troll you in a 3s game (I've had this happen at least 20 times in about 3 years) and you let out a single comeback / phrase that is ""banworthy"". I feel like these scenarios are the main reason you guys think you have problems. There are too many variables to have a system set up like this, a child could see this. You need pre-game chat logs, post game chat logs, maybe even a staff dedicated to this? (don't lie and say you have staff working on it every day) I am honestly embarrassed by this ban system we have.. Appalling.