Let's talk about abuse of the report feature

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-22-2012
8 of 142 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fremz View Post
The magic word there is "toxic"
They think banning people who are undeserving with no warning is justice.
After a week of ban watch people who will no longer use the report feature.
Enjoy the game full of trolls.
I guess they never thought of that.
All of these players already had 0 weight in their reports and the Tribunal basically ignores them.

GrowlyGuts

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spork View Post
i'm having a hard time seeing how .02% of the playerbase can ruin it for everybody else
Note I didn't say ruin. And perhaps they don't make it bad for every single other player.

Is it confusing that you could be banned for making it worse for everyone, or just most people you play with, could be grounds for banning even if it isn't literally every other player?

Garlic Prawn

08-22-2012

I'll admit, sometimes I report a bit more than I have to. I'll report people who've been rude to others or excessively uncooperative, even if they're doing well in-game.

My reasoning is that if I'm being too harsh, Tribunal will pardon the guy anyway. I have no plans to change the way I report.

That being said, I look at false reporting as the same thing as The Boy Who Cried Wolf. I'd hope that if someone's blatantly abusing the system and making unnecessary extra work for everyone else, they'd have something to answer for.

shlver

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
All of these players already had 0 weight in their reports and the Tribunal basically ignores them.
lol this made me laugh.

Hearts Grow

08-22-2012

Dear Lyte,

Please describe for me for all of the world to see how awful and toxic of a player that I am... because to be honest, I have absolutely no idea how completely toxic I am... please do tell.

Wieners Revenge

08-22-2012

Lyte, can you tell me (or type to me) with a straight face that not a single undeserving person was suspended today?

Can you then tell me with a straight face that people like me ought to be included in the same group of people who have been calling others f@gs, n*ggers, and/or telling people to commit suicide?

Wingroot

08-22-2012

It's too late to talk about the abuse of the report failure. you already banned everyone before they could talk about it.

Just pretend you care about all the people wrongfully banned, ignore 99% of them and use 1% to prove your awful decision.

blowholez1

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowholez View Post
1) "and we knew verbal warnings were not enough" how??
2) appreciate the time spent lyte, in conclusion, do our opinions matter about the days banned, 7 days will be the amount no matter what we say
would like an answer please

Absinthe

08-22-2012

Lyte, this is a personal insult to you and your family. I hope you rot in hell because you sir, are pretty much the only thing Toxic around here. Lately, the only thing worst than the customer support and riot staff is the fact that I don't own a cruise missile to launch into your house. I sincerely hope you the worst, and many diseases be brought unto those you care about. Please, please, die very slowly in fire, thank you.

Liam Stark

08-22-2012

Hey Lyte,

I figured I should post this now, since you're active atm.

I've been perma'd on my main, its been about a year, and I've been trying really hard to turn around my behavior. Why is that important? Because I know how I reacted to the bans they gave me, and how they really didn't work. I can also say judging by the community, they have had similar reactions.

Being banned for me meant - Be good for a few games, then just do it again, Why? Because I have 12876512 accounts I'll go play on those while I'm waiting for this one to be unbanned.

Thats ^ a problem.

Being banned = NPNP wait it out and then I get to go play some games and do the same thing because whatever.

Thats ^ a problem.

A player will experience a few days to a week, to 2 weeks, then to a 30 year ban. Or at least I did. I recieved dozens of few days to a week bans on my old account before revcieving a 2 week then ultimately perma ban. All I did was wait it out and troll on my smurf(s). I then returned and did the exact same thing.

Now, I'm not saying this is a good thing, and am ashamed of how I acted (and still sometimes do act), but instead I'm insisting that honestly, the system didn't work out all that great. Granted, most of this was BEFORE the tribunal.

Instead of the aforementioned actions, have you considered muting people, and then giving them automated, predetermined sentences that they can hotkey? Chat is meant to be for communicating and making friends in pubs. Its being abused to derate, and insult people, and troll, etc. Doing this, would make it so you can mute the abusers, and still allow the people who play with this person have a full, troll free game experience. I'm not saying don't ban them. But you can ban them for a day or two, then mute them for even longer when that sentence is up. This way, people will see how much more fun the game is when they aren't being toxic, and others aren't being toxic.

I've noticed that in the games where the isn't anyone calling anyone bad on their own team, being toxic, etc. Those games are 100x more fun. Especially the games where I'M NOT THE ONE BEING TOXIC, they're MORE FUN. So letting(forcing) people to experience this would be a great way, in my opinion to turn this behavior around, and leave the far more obvious method, of intentional feeding to be their go-to troll.

Also, being limited to accounts/ip, or banning by IP could be optimal. As anyone who had to make a new account since the game exploded, or made a smurf since, can tell you, its all smurfs, who have been banned on a main, and don't care if/when you ban the smurf, so they're 100x more toxic in these low level games, ultimately giving the community as a whole a HORRIBLE image. These few people make the millions look horrible. And I, myself, feel that a majority of the games I play, either my team, or the other, or usally both, have a toxic player.

I know you're limited in what can ACTUALLY be realistically done, but, I respect you, and your input, and I would like it

pls Lyte?

-
A big fan