Smartcast Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GlavTech

08-23-2012

Turn on range indicators and it's the exact same thing, only you don't need to click twice.

Cottzytellamas

08-23-2012

I use the Range Line Indicator with smart casting, as it gets the best of both worlds. It is simple to cancel the cast (just click to move while still holding the button) and it is still super fast to use a skill (I use a ton of Dr. Mundo, and it is easy enough to spam click q for those cleavers).

I think it is totally worth it, except for maybe a few exceptions (Viktor's lazer, Veigar's stun)

Sephïroth

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

It takes time getting used to it. That said, worth every penny. Milliseconds is where this game is won in the 1400+ Elo range.

Learn to smartcast, and you will notice your skill level increase substantionally.

There is exceptions. I use regular for Lux's ultimate so I can see max distance.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

The main area where smartcast shines is when you are under duress or being CCed. Nobody wants to die with a bunch of abilities unused that could have helped the team.

When you are targeted and being silenced, knocked up, stunned, etc this will totally mess up your ability to cast stuff.

By the time you have clicked Q, moved over your target, clicked and released the mouse button, guess what? You got CCed and your effort is ruined.

If you are already CCed, you have to wait for your buttons to get ungreyed, then react by clicking button, clicking bad guy. This wastes time.

Its WAYYY easier to just be spamming the button while targeting that enemy and as soon as the CC wears off, you cast.

If you are Ryze and Xin jumps on you, you definitely will aprreciate being able to Q,W,Q,E,Q,R,Q,W,Q,E,Q and when knocked up, you keep spamming whereever you left off until it goes off. Soon as your snare hits, you back off and continue the attack.
At the very least you can bang on keys when getting killed and have a reasonable chance of doing SOMETHING...

-----
To help, try changing your ALT button to Smart-Self-cast. Use normal casting as needed but when under duress, hold down ALT with your thumb and spam away.
I find ALT works way better than Shift since I dont have to reposition my hand and just bend thumb and hold ALT down.

I eventually went to all smartcast but I think this transition phase was valuable to see the benefits.

Rouge Nightmare

08-23-2012

???¿ ?
Im confused? Why don't you use smart cast?.
Its so easy to use. I mean unless your lvl 5, or something like that you should have enough practice with the champions you have to know the range of their abilities and how big the aoe's are. For example Annie. She has quite a short range, you know her teddy summons aoe is pretty small. You point your mouse in the middle of the champion or a tiny bit ahead of him if hes running.. but tiny bit. Because the summon is instant, and u should be able to land it right on his face.

Veigar: you know your aoe is hugeeee. You know it takes a quick second to take effect. You put your cursor in front of where they are running, like a whole body in front. Because you know if you put it right on the enemy champ he is just going to walk right out of it. Now you do the same with the meteor attack it takes about 1-1.5 seconds to land, at least thats what it feels like when i cast it. So u want to put it where your enemy is going to walk, not where he is at because he is just going to move.
What? Your telling me you use melee champs? XD thats even easier.

The point I am trying to make is learn your champs, if you know how a champion works you should have no problem using smart cast. Its there to help you get an edge in your game. Lets say your playing normals, you are ryze against another ryze(me) and I use smart cast and you dont, and we have the exact same build and runes, do you really think you taking 0.5-1 seconds longer to unload your whole combo is going to get you the kill? 8 times out of 10 you are going to lose that battle.

Now i dont think you should use smart cast if you dont feel confident using it in a pvp match. Because others will suffer. But you should play a bot game or something to learn how you can make it work to your advantage.

Sorry for the long rant and the few mistakes in my writing.

StyrTW

08-23-2012

Smartcasting is one of the truly amazing things Riot has added to the MOBA genre and after playing with it, it is hard to go without. Smartcasting reduces time spent to perform ability combos/chaining spells and will help you - especially for skillshots, I find smartcast to be invaluable since it only takes 1 keypress to fire off a skill instead of 2. The ever popular Janna example wherein "you are fleeing from players and need to fire off a near-instant tornado to CC the chasing enemies or you die" is a lot easier (and quicker) with smartcasting.

The only real drawback is that you need to be aware of the range, speed, size, etc of the spell you are going to use smartcast with. If you aren't careful you can and will misfire a spell, so caution is advised. Make sure you are very familiar with the spells in question so these mistakes are minimal.

Personally I rebound my keys so that smartcast is QWER and normal cast is shift+QWER or whatever the default is for smartcast. I've been using smartcast for so long I rarely if ever have to use normal cast, even on vector targeting spells Riot has fixed the smartcasting problems it once had.

Viva Smartcast!

Nightdancer ND

08-24-2012

I always use smart casting.
Only with some ultimates I don't want to smart cast: GP, Rumble for example

Threetwoone

08-24-2012

I have SHIFT-Q,W,E,R,D,F,1,2,3,4,5,6 all set up. It makes it much easier for SOME champs. others dont need smart cast. Its a champ my champ and player by player base. Most high ranking people use smart cast. I am a rather okay player and i smart cast almost evey spell.

At higher skill levels this game is played no seconds, where a team fight is about 10-15 seconds long. Cutting off 1/4 of a second when casting 6 spells could very very easily make or break a fight from someone in any role.

Judas Priest

08-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnburned View Post
(you're probably already aware of this, but for the sake of the OP)
You can always turn on Line Missile Smartcasting, letting you hold the ability button to see the ability-aimer. I personally have smartcast on by default and keep the Line Missile setting on. That way I can choose between shooting a rapid tornado behind me as Janna, or carefully aiming it by holding the ability button. You can cancel it by right-clicking.

As a burst-mage, smartcasting is essential. It allows you to fire your burst much faster than someone without it. Obviously plenty of people get by without it, but you need to practice with it for a while to see whether it's how you prefer to play.

Also, please click the Checkmark under my name and accept the Summoner's Code so that your messages are no longer faded out.
Could you explain how to see the "line missile" while smartcasting? I didn't understand.

Magma Armor0

08-24-2012

shift-smartcasting is better than auto-smartcasting, since you can still cast the old way, while getting the burst of speed when you need it.

If you want an argument for smartcasting, try playing ryze.