Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Smartcast Discussion

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Baitman

08-22-2012

I have played league for a while now, and only learned about smartcast after seeing a post about in general.

I found this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6ZoQVQK1Sg&feature=plcp) that shows that the guy saved a bit of time using smartcast.

Is this very small amount of time worth enabling it?

Wouldn't you aim worse using smartcast?

Convince me whether or not to use it, please.

Owl Be Back

08-22-2012

i dont use it. i have never been like omg if only i had been able to cast faster! I sometimes like to CAREFULLY aim as well

TheUnburned

08-22-2012

Quote:
Cardboardowl:
i dont use it. i have never been like omg if only i had been able to cast faster! I sometimes like to CAREFULLY aim as well

(you're probably already aware of this, but for the sake of the OP)
You can always turn on Line Missile Smartcasting, letting you hold the ability button to see the ability-aimer. I personally have smartcast on by default and keep the Line Missile setting on. That way I can choose between shooting a rapid tornado behind me as Janna, or carefully aiming it by holding the ability button. You can cancel it by right-clicking.

As a burst-mage, smartcasting is essential. It allows you to fire your burst much faster than someone without it. Obviously plenty of people get by without it, but you need to practice with it for a while to see whether it's how you prefer to play.

Also, please click the Checkmark under my name and accept the Summoner's Code so that your messages are no longer faded out.

AlphariusRising

08-22-2012

I use it, but it depends on the skill.

Annie's ult is something I always want to carefully aim, and the W is a sort of awkward skill for me, so I only smartcast her Q.

On morgana though, the faster binding follow by faster pool followed, with faster shields on myself leads into a faster ult and faster gold from killing enemies.

Lord Puppy Fury

08-22-2012

Once I turned it on, I have never turned it off. Yes, it will make you faster. In a duel with someone who's smart casting, that split second can save your life or lose it.

It's not hard: look where you are, look where your cursor is...connect the dots. That's where you'll aim.

CrusaderAntonius

08-22-2012

For me, it depends what champion I'm playing. Certain things I like having on smart cast, other things not so much. Generally, targeted spells I'll put on smart cast. It just makes things faster, and a fraction of a second can make a difference in a jungle gank or team fight.

I'll also put AoE spells like Panth's HSS or Kass's Force Pulse on smart cast.

Something like Hecarim's ult or Naut's anchor I'll won't put on smart cast, though. I like to see the aiming graphic.

TeknoWizard

08-22-2012

I flick it on or off depending on the champ I'm playing. If I'm playing as LeBlanc, then I for sure want it. But if I'm using Viktor, I might switch E on over to normal casting. All preference.

Duhizy

08-22-2012

the issue that i face is that when i started playing this game i put all of my fingers on the QWER rather then have my pinky on the shift button like riot intended with their default keybindings. The end result is that i can only choose to have either smart cast or normal cast, i can put some skills on normal cast if i want to and still have smart cast on the rest of my abilities but then there are times when i want to also have those skills smartcasted.

EX: for ezreal i want to have smart cast to be able to launch my abilities faster when i jump in but when im just in lane farming i want to be able to use the cursor for my W so i can land it better and because i cant toggle smartcast with shift or something its either my W is smartcasted at all points of the game or not at all.

Riots answer for this issue was the smart cast range indicator specifically for the people that adopted different finger placement then they had intended like mine and i use it often, but the issue with it is that turning it on makes all of my abilities have the range indicator and sometimes i dont want the indicator on some abilities like ezreals jump E because it makes it slower. I vote that riot make it possible to have range indicator on specific abilities by adding another section for it in the keybinds menu.

Uncanny Doom

08-23-2012

It's all a matter of comfort. I know players who don't use it and still have fast bursting and do very well. There are potential drawbacks with and without smartcast. The primary one without it is the time it takes to use skills is a little longer. The drawback of using it is the window for error is much bigger in crowded teamfights as you could simply target the wrong champ with certain abilities and that one press ends up being a mistake. I'd recommend playing for a while without it at least to get an idea of the zones and areas that most of the skills have. Then try it out for a while eventually.

Th3Fr0z3n1

08-23-2012

Well if you use smart cast with your line display, then as soon as you hold the button on, you cant move anywhere until you cancel it!!! If you turn smart cast off, you can aim while moving!!! Meaning that not only can you aim better, but you can dodge the enemies lame smart casted ability while aiming at them with your ability!

Also, when playing against someone with smart cast, there is always a time during the enemies attacks that they HAVE to let their guard down, and this is because of smart cast... If you know this weakness you will never lose to a smart-caster... not so smart now eh...