someone please explain?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BMiBudster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2009

ok when i saw this i found it very hard to believe due to the fact Hereos Of Neworth is the official Dota game.... so i ask can someone explain to me one of two things

first: why in gods name would icefrog and the creators of dota make 2 games of almost exact same concept and

second how are the creators of this game not being sued as i highly doubt this game is made by the official creators of the dota map as i stated HoN is the official game....

what in gods name is going on lol?

IdiotSavant

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2009

1. You can't be sue'd for using a type of gameplay (or else the ppl who made the first FPS would be pretty sue happy by now right?)

2. Isn't HoN made by Savage 2 Games? afaik a lot of the team that worked on DotA is working for Riot Games, which made League of Legends.

Riot Zaps

Oceanic
NOC Technician

11-10-2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

second paragraph.

"Using the original DotA created by Eul (the original Defence of The Ancients map for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos) as a base, Guinsoo made DotA Allstars by adding his own mix of content, largely expanding the number of the heroes, adding recipes, numerous items and various gameplay changes. Then Guinsoo with version 6 of the map passed DotA Allstars on to its current developer, Icefrog. Pendragon, who is the Director of Community Relations for Riot Games, helped create the previous DotA Allstars website along with its forums."

Guinsoo is part of the team making LoL.

On Hon's side of things:

"You are about to play a stand alone DotA based game. We have asked IceFrog if he had any objections to this and he did not, he is ok with it. Heroes of Newerth contains both content very similiar to DOTA and brand new content of S2 Games' creation."

Being okay with something does not necessarily make it official.

JohnnyPanic

11-10-2009

I didn't read anything in the OP I just wanted to say I hate your name.

Kthxbai.

BMiBudster

11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotSavant View Post
1. You can't be sue'd for using a type of gameplay (or else the ppl who made the first FPS would be pretty sue happy by now right?)

2. Isn't HoN made by Savage 2 Games? afaik a lot of the team that worked on DotA is working for Riot Games, which made League of Legends.

s2 is the new company which icefrog either owns or is part of and HoN is the official dota game and this game and its website all have dota on it... thus they can be sued by icefrog because they are making or going to make money off frogs idea and creation.

the thing i dont understand is this cant be icefrogs doing as he made HoN at the moment it seems the people behind this are posers BUT i could be wrong which is why im trying to understand.

Kelfarr

11-10-2009

This game isn't suppose to be a dota clone so who cares. HoN is advertised as a dota clone without having to use WC3, LoL is not that.

Poruku

11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPanic View Post

Kthxbai.
Random and offtopic.........

@OP Zaps describes it fairly well. Again, I wanted to point out, you can't be sued for using a type of game genre, otherwise things would be chaotic and retarded all at once.

Quote:
thus they can be sued by icefrog because they are making or going to make money off frogs idea and creation.
Again, it wasn't even his idea, Iirc, Eul made this game. Zaps did a good job of his quote picking, they explain everything except that Icefrog is not a part of LoL (Afaik)

BMiBudster

11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaps View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_of_Legends

second paragraph.

"Using the original DotA created by Eul (the original Defence of The Ancients map for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos) as a base, Guinsoo made DotA Allstars by adding his own mix of content, largely expanding the number of the heroes, adding recipes, numerous items and various gameplay changes. Then Guinsoo with version 6 of the map passed DotA Allstars on to its current developer, Icefrog. Pendragon, who is the Director of Community Relations for Riot Games, helped create the previous DotA Allstars website along with its forums."

Guinsoo is part of the team making LoL.

On Hon's side of things:

"You are about to play a stand alone DotA based game. We have asked IceFrog if he had any objections to this and he did not, he is ok with it. Heroes of Newerth contains both content very similiar to DOTA and brand new content of S2 Games' creation."

Being okay with something does not necessarily make it official.
the HoN website stated it was the official dota game.

BMiBudster

11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPanic View Post

Kthxbai.

carefactor 0 moron

Poruku

11-10-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetPubes View Post
the HoN website stated it was the official dota game.
It's possible you may have misread it, I don't recall ever reading that :/ Nevertheless, it can't be 'official' since the official dota game is dota...