Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade (Revised)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
17 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsworder View Post
Since this is an AMA, I may as well posit a question. Why is it necessary to have lore that has Kat fail? What about that aspect of it is so essential it was kept?
Characters need to be human and have flaws. Characters who are presented as basically rocking in everything are caricatures, rather than fictitious people. We like people for the things we perceive as cool about them, but we fall in love with them for their flaws. Flaws fundamentally make characters relatable.

MiaoLong

08-23-2012

So what does Kat, as a pretty epitomal Noxian, think of the Rakkor, who according to Pantheon's lore regularly trash their forces, at ridiculous odds like 10 to 1, like it ain't no big thing?

I'm having a pretty deep discussion with this other guy who keeps on saying that entire battalions being ruined is only "harassment".

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
18 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
So did Katarina fight in the Ionian War? I believe her old lore stated that she did, but that's all gone now.
We are working on better defining the Ionian conflict and we'll talk about Kat's involvement when we have that worked out.

Quote:
On a side note, could we possibly get an official timeline for the lore? I know it's difficult to figure out given champion ages and stuff (Annie comes to mind), but it'd be much appreciated and helpful for a whole list of reasons.
We are also working on a more defined timeline as well. That's a bit in coming, however, as we're better defining the current time before we launch into that.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
19 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarth View Post
Heres a question though, why are her new lines so dumbed down? Her joke is in line with the "not a joke" of all the other ones, and it took out a lot of her history. Was "time for the dance macabre" too much of an in-joke? That and the "why because I CAN" quote is grating as hell.

If this isn't the right place to ask about this where is? Also, thanks for keeping up with us.
The intent with her new VO is not to dumb her down, but rather removed the one-dimensional sadistic killer that was her original VO. As the writer of her original VO, that's what I went for at the time. With the new character explorations of Kat, we created a deeper character and wanted to round her out a little better in her VO.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
20 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcent View Post
The thing is, Kat as just an assassin bad-ass is kind of selfish and that's the flatness they're trying to avoid. The only difference between her and the other daughters would be that she chose knives over lace. There are no stories about just being a badass. Not good ones anyway. (EDIT: Renekton Bot is the exception that proves the rule) I'm sure there are plenty of bad ones, but I don't intend to read any of them. The best bad-asses make mistakes. Learning from those mistakes makes them even more hardcore (see: every comic book badass ever).
Well put!

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
21 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katárina View Post
RiotRaven, I read the new lore, and I got to say. I enjoyed it very much.

Also... I was wondering if I could add you ingame as a friend to discuss Kat more, as an RPer and all?
Go ahead. I am RiotRaven.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
22 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixia View Post
I'm not saying that the general should specifically be listed as General Marcus Du Couteau, but it would be helpful if you at least went as far as to give Kat's own full name. Why couldn't she be introduced as Katarina Du Couteau? I'm certain you could slip her last name in there somewhere without it being awkward, and it would solve all of the problems.
While many of our characters have last names, we are trying not to highlight them as a core part of the average LoL player's experience.

As we develop new vehicles for lore, we'll add things like that back in for all of you who are excited about LoL lore. That way, you can have the deeper lore experience that you desire, without having it be an essential part of the LoL experience.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
23 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyseeker View Post
RiotRaven, whats your opinion on player feedback affecting the development of a game or in this case, story? i understand its certainly important for players to feel like they're being heard, but should the masses have the power to veto things they dont like? isn't that the responsibly of a developer to make a game, and its the players choice to choose to enjoy it or not?
I don't know if this is the future of game development or not. It is important to have players feel like they are important and being heard – we are a player-focused game company and that is core to our values here at Riot Games. That, however, needs to be balanced with the fact that you can't develop creative endeavors with too many cooks in the kitchen and that you can't please everybody.

In our case, when something like this happens and the feedback is widespread, useful, and constructive, we listen and make adjustments where we can. That is our commitment. We all love our characters.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
24 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
I'm just wondering about her end quote now. She says we'll never know, but I'd like to.
That quote will become more apparent as tell more stories about Kat down the road.

Quote:
Thank you for taking the criticism seriously.
You are welcome! Thanks for providing it.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
25 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaoLong View Post
So what does Kat, as a pretty epitomal Noxian, think of the Rakkor, who according to Pantheon's lore regularly trash their forces, at ridiculous odds like 10 to 1, like it ain't no big thing?

I'm having a pretty deep discussion with this other guy who keeps on saying that entire battalions being ruined is only "harassment".
The Rakkor are a fierce people, no doubt. However, the Rakkor are not populous enough to be a real threat. If the occasional band of Rakkor takes out some Noxian soldiers – who are very dangerous themselves – then it would be harassment. There aren't enough Rakkor to do anything but that.

Noxians respect strength, and the Rakkor certainly have that. They may not like them, however.