Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade (Revised)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Katárina

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

RiotRaven, I read the new lore, and I got to say. I enjoyed it very much.

Also... I was wondering if I could add you ingame as a friend to discuss Kat more, as an RPer and all?

Longsworder

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larcent View Post
My opinion on this:

The thing is, Kat as just an assassin bad-ass is kind of selfish and that's the flatness they're trying to avoid. The only difference between her and the other daughters would be that she chose knives over lace. There are no stories about just being a badass. Not good ones anyway. (EDIT: Renekton Bot is the exception that proves the rule) I'm sure there are plenty of bad ones, but I don't intend to read any of them. The best bad-asses make mistakes. Learning from those mistakes makes them even more hardcore (see: every comic book badass ever).
The problem with that comparison from what I see is that there are very few comic badasses - none spring to mind - who fail significantly in fighting their first foe, and when they do, they aren't held to task by an absolute authority with a noted propensity for turning failures into pyrrhic victories. Do they ostentatiously bow to the police? Sure, but they can quite easily ignore them, while Katarina is part of a military organisation - indeed, she's held up as one of the "shining examples" of Noxian military strength. Joe Chill struck when Bruce Wayne was a child, Uncle Ben's killer did so before Peter Parker became a hero, Tony Stark was captured before he donned the armour... I could understand a story like this happening a bit into Katarina's military career as a League Judgement,, but as an introductory story? It doesn't really sell the character to me, and if a new player were to see it, they wouldn't know the character's lore enough to see the change in mistakes reflected. On the subject of flatness, you cannot develop a character as more than being "flat" with just two paragraphs to create them. The space limits the depth available. This is the sort of reason we really need more lore, for those of us filled with passionate passion for the lore of such a passionate character.

... yeah, I felt I needed some levity there.

Gixia

08-22-2012

A massive improvement over the last one. I still prefer the first one, but this one is still satisfactory at least, and better than say, Fiora's.

My only complaint now is, I still think it's the wrong call not to include her father's name.

Compare momentarily her bio with Rengar's. Cho'gath is featured in Rengar's bio, but no name is given. But any player can still figure out that it's Cho'gath because he's physically described, and you can read the description, then look at Cho'gath on the champ select screen and go 'oh, they're talking about this guy'.

This does not work with General Marcus Du Couteau, because he is not actually in-game, and the description is much more vague. She was raised by a prominent Noxian general and one of the finest assassins in Noxus, but we don't even know that they're the same person. If anything, were I just reading this for first time and had no prior knowledge of Kat or League of Legends lore, I would assume her father to be an assassin and her mother to be a general, since assassin and general are generally not two occupations that coincide in one person. We can't even use her name to figure it out, because nowhere in the bio is her last name listed. She's just Katarina Blank. We know who her father is because we have familiarity with her old lore. A new player who does not will have no way of learning details like this.

I'm not saying that the general should specifically be listed as General Marcus Du Couteau, but it would be helpful if you at least went as far as to give Kat's own full name. Why couldn't she be introduced as Katarina Du Couteau? I'm certain you could slip her last name in there somewhere without it being awkward, and it would solve all of the problems.

Cuix

08-22-2012

Depth and engagement in two paragraphs telling just one story, specifically the tale of her most important failure?

A difficult task, and unfortunately failed here. She comes across as unintelligent (why not just kill them both?), scattered (so she can go from assassin to bruiser if she wants to, just requires pas- er, "loyalty"), and ultimately disconnected (why is she in the League? what makes her special?).

Arcane Azmadi

08-22-2012

Well, certainly an improvement. I do also like that it conveys the fact that Katarina isn't just an assassin who can only stab you in the back, she's also a ferocious fighter who can cut out your heart in open battle as well. I also like the removal of the "she brought disgrace to her family" angle which was unoriginal, unnecessary and frankly implausible.

Still doesn't quite convey why she's in the League, though. Was she just nominated by Noxus as one of their representatives, or did she volunteer?

keyseeker

08-22-2012

probably too late to get a red response out of this; but this is a question about a growing trend i've seen in developers lately. (mostly the mass effect 3 ending)

RiotRaven, whats your opinion on player feedback affecting the development of a game or in this case, story? i understand its certainly important for players to feel like they're being heard, but should the masses have the power to veto things they dont like? isn't that the responsibly of a developer to make a game, and its the players choice to choose to enjoy it or not?

i'm just wondering if this is the future of game development

StarkRavenMad

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor3457 View Post
If she suspects Swain isn't worthwhile, she'll do the Noxian duty - plot to assassinate him and replace him with someone else. = )
Because all plots against Swain work wonders.

ThorRush

08-23-2012

Much improved, Raven, those changes go a long way towards making her actions and mindset more understandable.

I'm just wondering about her end quote now. She says we'll never know, but I'd like to. Thank you for taking the criticism seriously.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
15 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask The Maven View Post
Kat related:
Does she spend most of her time in Noxus, or is she often out and about for 'work'?
I would suspect most of her time in spent in Noxus, when things aren't heating up.

Quote:
(PS will any lore folks be at PAX?)
I will!

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-23-2012
16 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Alright, questions...

What are her feelings on Yordles?
I doubt Kat thinks about yordles much. If she meets a yordle and it can prove itself, she'll respect its strength and prowess.

Quote:
Does she like cute things?
I'm sure Kat has her own definition of cute things she likes.

Quote:
What are her thoughts on Rengar, since they both have scars on their eyes?
The scar isn't enough for her to bond. Rengar lost his eye, while she didn't. He'd have to prove himself.

Quote:
What are her thoughts on Ionia?
The Ionia situation is for the generals to decide.

Quote:
Has Darius even tried to spin in an effort to impress her?
I think the number of weak officers Darius has culled is what would impress her.