Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade (Revised)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Longsworder

08-22-2012

If I'm to be honest here, I still don't like this new lore. The problem I had with the old iteration of the new lore is that it portrayed Kat as a failure whose mistake was at least understandable - she tried to kill what she thought was her target and messed up. This version, though? It may be better written, but it also makes her seem flakier. She goes in, spots someone completely unrelated to her target, kills him, then forgets entirely about her objective which gets her squad slaughtered. The old lore had Katarina as an unmitigated badass. This one has her as some flaky girl who can't follow orders in a society where the people above you are above you because they are demonstrably better than you - the whole concept of a meritocracy - and where screwing up makes you become nothing more than cannon fodder - the crux of Riven's character defining moment was that her squad wandered into an ambush and were too weak to win on their own. The response of those Noxus placed in command? Designate the whole zone a free fire area and disregard friendly fire. If this new Kat is to be considered "glorious" to Noxus, I'm not sure it's the same Noxus I've come to like.

Since this is an AMA, I may as well posit a question. Why is it necessary to have lore that has Kat fail? What about that aspect of it is so essential it was kept?

PenguinPaladin

08-22-2012

I really like this new bio. It keeps the improvements the reworked one had, but it's a lot more clear.

Wightraven

08-22-2012

SO MUCH BETTER.

Thank you.

Muranodo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

It's a great improvement; it really touches on the experience gap concern. She feels far more Noxian now.

Nicely improved!

Cerubois

08-22-2012

So did Katarina fight in the Ionian War? I believe her old lore stated that she did, but that's all gone now.

On a side note, could we possibly get an official timeline for the lore? I know it's difficult to figure out given champion ages and stuff (Annie comes to mind), but it'd be much appreciated and helpful for a whole list of reasons.

Amarth

08-22-2012

Yeah... ok, I can get on board with this one.

Heres a question though, why are her new lines so dumbed down? Her joke is in line with the "not a joke" of all the other ones, and it took out a lot of her history. Was "time for the dance macabre" too much of an in-joke? That and the "why because I CAN" quote is grating as hell.

If this isn't the right place to ask about this where is? Also, thanks for keeping up with us.

Larcent

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longsworder View Post
If I'm to be honest here, I still don't like this new lore. The problem I had with the old iteration of the new lore is that it portrayed Kat as a failure whose mistake was at least understandable - she tried to kill what she thought was her target and messed up. This version, though? It may be better written, but it also makes her seem flakier. She goes in, spots someone completely unrelated to her target, kills him, then forgets entirely about her objective which gets her squad slaughtered. The old lore had Katarina as an unmitigated badass. This one has her as some flaky girl who can't follow orders in a society where the people above you are above you because they are demonstrably better than you - the whole concept of a meritocracy - and where screwing up makes you become nothing more than cannon fodder - the crux of Riven's character defining moment was that her squad wandered into an ambush and were too weak to win on their own. The response of those Noxus placed in command? Designate the whole zone a free fire area and disregard friendly fire. If this new Kat is to be considered "glorious" to Noxus, I'm not sure it's the same Noxus I've come to like.

Since this is an AMA, I may as well posit a question. Why is it necessary to have lore that has Kat fail? What about that aspect of it is so essential it was kept?
My opinion on this:

The thing is, Kat as just an assassin bad-ass is kind of selfish and that's the flatness they're trying to avoid. The only difference between her and the other daughters would be that she chose knives over lace. There are no stories about just being a badass. Not good ones anyway. (EDIT: Renekton Bot is the exception that proves the rule) I'm sure there are plenty of bad ones, but I don't intend to read any of them. The best bad-asses make mistakes. Learning from those mistakes makes them even more hardcore (see: every comic book badass ever).

The arrogant mistake and the subsequent consequences push her in the direction of realizing responsibility as the oldest daughter. And that actually was kind of where her lore was going even before the rewrite. She was becoming the public face for her family with the general's disappearance.

The assassin learning to become a leader is an interesting component of her development. It also separates her from the other assassin personalities in the game, like Talon and Shaco.

She's like Pam on "True Blood." Pam has made some mistakes, but she's still a badass and is learning responsibility. She's the best character on that show now that everybody else is going crazy.

Swanhaven

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRaven View Post
Without further ado, I bring you the updated bio and Katarina AMA - Round 2!
Oh wow, amazing improvement! It leaves her her edge while still retaining the points that I know you said you wanted for making her a character with a few more 'angles', so to speak. In this story it's more like she got her scar trying to get vengeance for her men, and less like she was just so passionate that she just had to go back and restore her honor. In my opinion, this one gives her all the humanizing aspects you wanted to portray better than the first one. Edit: To expound on this-- it puts her 'mistake' and her response to it in more adult and emotional terms. When she kills the wrong guy and the right guy leads the counterattack against her men, she realizes her actions got them all killed. Instead of what she does in the original story ("Oh no, I need to restore my honor which I have besmirched! Better kill him this time!") she has a much more human and emotional response ("My men are dead because I didn't kill this guy. I farked up and I'm upset about it, so I'm going to kill him and all of HIS men TWICE AS HARD NOW.") It's a much better portrayal of her both as having an emotional side yet being a total hardass, and as being loyal to Noxus. You did some good work on this one.

Also the whole 'letting passion conflict with duty' thing sets up the Katarina/Garen thing quite well, doesn't it?

In short, A+++ would read again

kitae

Lead Designer

08-22-2012
14 of 36 Riot Posts

Just popping in to say I am glad that most posters so far like the new bio and feel it's an improvement. Thanks for helping us make Kat's bio better.

huskyk13

08-22-2012

hmmm not as much passion

seriously though good work