Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade (Revised)

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 14
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
10 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belthazor3457 View Post
If she suspects Swain isn't worthwhile, she'll do the Noxian duty - plot to assassinate him and replace him with someone else. = )
Might makes right and the strong should rule the weak. Blood for Noxus!!!

Borand

08-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRaven View Post
Greetings Summoners -

I am back from vacation (well semi-vacation) with a new and approved Katarina bio! Now with 50% more deadly and 50% less passion. This bio will be coming out soon, but I'm giving you all a sneak preview and a bonus Katarina AMA!

Before I discuss the changes, let me thank everyone who provided constructive feedback that helped us improve Kat's bio. As the writer of Katarina's original bio, it is very important to me that we capture the spirit of the Katarina we all know and love.

Enough of the mushy stuff...let's get into the changes.

We wanted to bring more depth to Katarina, but we deviated too far from the Kat you already knew and loved. That's my bad guys. We've brought back more of the deadly and ruthless assassin to this version.

We also didn't provide enough details on her mission, the consequences of her error in judgement, and her redemption. Katarina's pride still leads her astray, but now her choice should be more understandable. It is also clear that she makes up for her mistake, and more, though she deeply regrets the collateral damage that results from her error in judgement.

The story remains a new story about Katarina, so we don't go into details about her encounter with Garen, or her mission to retrieve the remains of Sion. As Kitae has stated, these are stories that deserve more than a one liner in a bio. We are investigating alternative ways of preserving this information in a player facing format. For now I would like to reassure you that these events are still an important part of Katarina's lore. Furthermore, I hope that when the time comes to tell these stories in greater detail, I will be able to assist in bringing them to you.

Without further ado, I bring you the updated bio and Katarina AMA - Round 2!

Quote:
Katarina, the Sinister Blade
Driven by an intense killer instinct, Katarina uses her talents as an assassin for the glory of Noxus, and the continued elevation of her family. While her fervor drives her to ever-greater feats, it can sometimes lead her astray.

From childhood, Katarina displayed a natural gift for combat. As the daughter of a prominent Noxian general many paths were open to her, but she rejected them all for the path of the blade. Rigorously trained by the finest assassins in Noxus, her father the best among them, it was not long before Katarina demanded her first assignment. The task they gave her was aggravatingly simple: assassinate a low-ranking Demacian officer. As she set to her work infiltrating the enemy camp, Katarina discovered an opportunity too tantalizing to pass by – the arrival of a Demacian General. Stalking him to his tent, she quietly dispatched his guards and slit his throat. Pleased with her impressive kill, she disappeared into the night. Katarina’s elation faded the next day when her original objective, the Demacian officer, led his forces to ambush unprepared Noxian soldiers. Though the Noxians fought valiantly, they suffered heavy casualties. Furious at her mistake, Katarina set off to complete her original task. Returning to the camp, she spied her now heavily guarded target and realized a stealthy kill was no longer possible. Drawing her blades, Katarina swore the officer would die, no matter the cost. She leapt into battle, unleashing a whirlwind of steel. One by one blades flashed and guards fell, each strike bringing her one step closer to the officer. A final thrown dagger restored her honor. Bloody and bruised, Katarina barely escaped the Demacian forces, and returned to Noxus a changed woman. The scar she earned that night now serves as a constant reminder that she must never let passion interfere with duty.

“Never question my loyalty. You will never know what I endure for it.” – Katarina
I really like how you added her new skill into her lore ^ ^.

Ask The Maven

08-22-2012

Great rework. Are you guys still coming up with ways to deliver the more worldbuilding lore we aren't seeing in bios any longer?

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
11 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask The Maven View Post
Great rework. Are you guys still coming up with ways to deliver the more worldbuilding lore we aren't seeing in bios any longer?
Thanks! And we most certainly are looking to deliver more world-building lore. We have not stopped developing the world. We're just analyzing what the best methods to deliver that lore are.

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
12 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borand View Post
I really like how you added her new skill into her lore ^ ^.
That was Kitae's fine work.

Ask The Maven

08-22-2012

Quote:
Thanks! And we most certainly are looking to deliver more world-building lore. We have not stopped developing the world. We're just analyzing what the best methods to deliver that lore are.
Novels I want to see Runeterra on my bookshelf!

RiotRaven

Sr. Creative Designer

08-22-2012
13 of 36 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask The Maven View Post
Novels I want to see Runeterra on my bookshelf!
You and me both!

BOPC Cosno

08-22-2012

Quote:
Huh, would we do that?
I hope not. God I hate the Katarina/Garen romance. I don't think it makes sense. I can see Katarina being with someone, and I can see her respecting Garen for his skill on the battlefield. I jst can't see her falling in love with him as such a staunch Noxian. Especially after this new bio. Seems she learned her lesson about "passion".

Ask The Maven

08-22-2012

Quote:
You and me both!
Should publish short stories in e-book format off the website. then when there are enough, a nice little hardback collection.

Kat related:
Does she spend most of her time in Noxus, or is she often out and about for 'work'?

(PS will any lore folks be at PAX?)

Zerglinator

08-22-2012

Alright, questions...

What are her feelings on Yordles?

Does she like cute things?

What are her thoughts on Rengar, since they both have scars on their eyes?

What are her thoughts on Ionia?

Has Darius even tried to spin in an effort to impress her?

12345678 ... 14