Creative Design AMA: Katarina, the Sinister Blade (Revised)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Alex3omg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Howl View Post
Poor WW, he went from possibly the smartest, most 'sinister' character, to a non-original power hungry villain. [I want power give me a potion, idc it might not work.]

Although this is one of the few new lores i can be okay with. TBH i just want a story where WW [with old lore] teams up with his former apprentice/Kat/morg to go after Kayle and some of the other "heavenly" heroes.
Singed went from being a mad scientist to a witch who needs magical reagents for a pre-planned potion, as if he found the recipe in a tome. He warns Warwick not to use the unfished potion because, well, Singed is a really responsible guy. He also uses test subjects.

And don't forget Viktor went from a tragic slightly insane guy to a ripoff of Doc Oc. In a bad way.

Kojiro Sasaki

10-17-2012

Nice, this is perfect.

Kitzmitz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-17-2012

This new lore was sadly a disappointment to me, so much so that I actually felt the need to post about it which is rare.
I get too much of a sense of weakening of the character through word choice, in a veiled sense of attempting to become more in line with the more stereotypical version of emotional feminization.
I love Katarina, she is my favorite character in LoL and I see her as much more of a powerful and endearing character. I feel the lore does not rightfully accentuate the sheer blood lust and power she accentuates on the battlefield. Katarina seems more to a slightly insane voracious killer entwined with the passion expertise and skill for combat and the intricate web of Noxian turmoil.
If her passive "Voracity" didn't say it all, her perfect line & my favorite in the game "Violence solves everything" truly brings out the essence of Katarina and what it means to be a Katarina player as well. I like and admire her skill and power, I want her to be the personification of that power I see in her. A devastating vixen of blades with both the edge of her unmatched feminine guile and that of her razor sharp blades.

Alex3omg

10-17-2012

" Though the Noxians fought valiantly"

they're kind of nazis, maybe don't use the word valiant.

KiteMeGood

10-18-2012

The only it need is Katarina's motivations for joining the league which will be to keeping her senses sharp for any upcoming Demacians who needs to go to an early grave.

Eserine

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eserine View Post
In that way the lore could simply have been added-to instead of erasing the heroic nature of katarina's attempt to forge a new path against the resistances of expectations brought against her. It saddens me (even as a man) to think of this facet of katarina being devalued when so many female pioneers in modern civilization have sacrificed their comfort and personal safety to advance the cause of gender equality. The u.s. Astronaut sally ride inspired a generation of female scientists and engineers only after suffering through years of jeers and harassment in her field, and even today (especially as lol expands internationally) an equal number of these situations of prejudice touch or will touch the players of this game as they seek careers or political recognition. Now however they will have one less exemplar of the perspicacity necessary to fight adversity, if "many options" weren't open to her the new katarina it seems as though she just would have settled upon whatever future was given to her by her background, and that is not a good message to be sending, even if you attempt to justify it with the claim that it makes her more personable somehow (since according to riot authors being confrontational or dangerous is apparently one-dimensional).
Quote:
Originally Posted by riotraven View Post
in this new lore, compared to the old lore, we actually empower katarina as a strong female. Having kat struggle against a paternal society creates gender inequity in our world, which is something we do not want to have. Those sorts of themes are something that is central to properties like game of thrones, not ours. We have a world full of empowered and butt-kicking women. Kat's story being one where she had natural talents and interests that drew her to her vocation, and then has the drive and ability to excel, creates a character more fitting of the league of legends world.
POSTSCRlPT:

Ron Paul

01-10-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eserine View Post
POSTSCRlPT:
Why did you necro this - I checked 36 other ed posts to see if it was updated