Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Account suspended for reporting too much? This is a new one...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tlaon

08-22-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
These are not Tribunal bans. We've been doing a lot of experiments and analysis with false reporters and have found that many of them are contributing to negative experiences in the games they are in--these players tend to threaten players with reports, or threaten players to play their way or be reported. For example, the OP in this case has reported hundreds of players that were not actually toxic and in the process created toxic experiences for these players. The same OP has received reports in 19% of his games resulting in hundreds of reports filed against him and has been punished multiple times by the Tribunal.

We've reviewed these players with extremely high numbers of false reporting and decided to send out a temporary timeout to these players and warn them that this behavior is unacceptable and let them know that they have been creating a negative experience for other players.

How many people were banned in this way?

Epichuntarz

08-22-2012

Lyte, if this is going to be a new policy, you may just find it having the opposite effect. Summoners will stop using the report function out of fear that THEY will be banned instead truly toxic players, and toxic players will once again GET AWAY with their behavior.

I'm not sure you guys thought this one through very well.

Pregnant

08-22-2012

Riot overreacted in this case. False reporting should not be a bannable offense for several reasons.

1) If Riot is as confident in the Tribunal as they say they are, then the Tribunal should be able to weed out the toxic players and pardon the players who were falsely reported.
2) By issuing a 7-day ban without a warning, Riot has just scared a large portion of the LoL community. The community will now be scared to report a toxic player in fear of receiving a ban.
3) Whereas reporting for intentional feeding and AFKing is easy to do, reporting for verbal abuse / offensive language / negative attitude is much more subjective. People are all different and someone might be super sensitive to the things others say. Whilst Player A might report Player B for being rude, Player C might not think anything of what Player B said. With that being said, banning people for reporting is just silly because, considering the amount of rage that takes place in LoL games, a large portion of reports are for verbal abuse / offensive language. Therefore, there's never really a "false report" in this case.
4) A temporary ban should not be as long as 7 days, especially when there was no warning given.

Edit: I've never been banned in my two years of playing LoL, nor have I ever received a warning. I rarely say anything to other people in game (unless I'm joking around with my premade), but I do communicate. On very rare instances do I lash back at players who continuously provoke me. I'm a player who plays the game and reports others at the end of the game if I see a reason to report them. And no, I don't threaten to report people either. I just play the game, report, and move on. I am defending my stance to defend players like myself who report what they deem as toxic players.

Vortel

08-22-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
We greatly, greatly encourage players to continue to report every toxic player or leaver in the game. However, we were pretty heavy-handed in this measure because we noted how absolutely toxic these players were when they abused the report system. These are players that threaten other players on a continuous basis and also report players that do not deserve it.

Players that accurate report players--even if they report a player in every game--will never be affected by these types of penalties. For example, your report weights are perfectly fine and you've reported over 200 players.

Quoted because more people need to read it.

Quit making a mountain out of a molehill. Don't abuse the system and you won't be banned. That's all this means.

Key word - ABUSE.

USE the system.
Don't ABUSE the system.

Oberic

Recruiter

08-22-2012

Lyte, can you give me my report stats? Like, how much I report, how much I'm reported, etc.?

Futonlol

08-22-2012

Quote:
Lyte:
We greatly, greatly encourage players to continue to report every toxic player or leaver in the game. However, we were pretty heavy-handed in this measure because we noted how absolutely toxic these players were when they abused the report system. These are players that threaten other players on a continuous basis and also report players that do not deserve it.

Players that accurate report players--even if they report a player in every game--will never be affected by these types of penalties. For example, your report weights are perfectly fine and you've reported over 200 players.

So what you're saying is that it's ok for players to be toxic to me , but if I tell them i'm going to report them then that out ways their toxicity? Why is there a chat feature in this game? Why is there a report feature in this game? Ultimately you're just going to make up new rules and apply them whenever you feel like it. You're ridiculous.

HelixCell

08-22-2012

With this community there are trolls almost every game. If we report them we get banned if we don't chance are they will ruin someone else's game. What do?

ChromeFalcon

08-22-2012

99% of this community is toxic, you'll find that nothing will ever help.

Keeping It Real

08-22-2012

Quote:
Vortel:
Quoted because more people need to read it.

Quit making a mountain out of a molehill. Don't abuse the system and you won't be banned. That's all this means.

Key word - ABUSE.

USE the system.
Don't ABUSE the system.

A warning that this was punishable before mass banning would be nice, bro. And most of us weren't abusing it , we just have extremely bad luck with trolls/afks.

Heartlis

08-22-2012

Funny thing is, this is actually more harsh than the penalties the guilty Tribunal verdicts give out. Not a good move Riot