Why is Malphite considered overpowered?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TealNinje

02-15-2013

Malphite can go 5 versus 1 with an AD build.

The problem is getting your team to let you do it.

Rockoutwithmy

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thubgar View Post
who can kill him?
burst cant, hes too tanky. AD dps cant, he has a massive unmitigatable AS debuff (tenacity does nothing because its not tied to a slow like nunu's). tanky dps cant for the same reason.

the ONLY thing that works against him is AP DPS... who can't top.
Swain Vladimir Kennen
3 Brilliant top lane mages who deal amazing DoT.
Malphite is easily shut down in solo Q, but a pain in team Q.

Invictrix

02-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaddscientist View Post
When I first started playing draft pick, it forced me to get good with different champions with different playstyles, and Malphite happened to be one of them. Ever since he has been one of my favorite champions as he can do very well against pretty much any ad champion you can name.

However, I don't really understand why he is considered "overpowered" and why he is banned in draft pick so much because of it. I understand the basis for the majority of the complaints about him, such as how his tool kit is pretty much geared toward destroying ad carries. I cannot understand how just because he is good against ad carries somehow makes him overpowered, especially when the vast majority of ap champions can beat the **** out of him. Off the top of my head, I can think of AP Sion and Rumble as two champions who absolutely destroy Malphite.

How is a champion overpowered for being able to effectively deal with some champions when he is incapable of fighting off others? He has a great initiation, but it takes a good team to follow up on that initiation. He has a good attack speed debuff, but he has to get in close, and he can't just skill spam without getting lots of mana regen, which means he usually has to sacrifice a bit of armor or magic resistance. He's not a perfect champion. How is he "overpowered?"
He isn't really overpowered, but people dislike dealing with him so they ban him. It is the same reason Amumu and Shen get banned.

I mean most teams in soloque don't have a plan in place to deal with all 5 people getting stunned in an amumu ult or knocked up in a malphite ult and it's really scary when your carry is suddenly gone before the fight even starts. Amumu and Malphite both love the chaos of soloque where everyone is out of position.

DarkSideCreo

02-15-2013

Hes actually not that strong anymore, he clears slower than before, you can steal his camps and deny his jungle, can invade and take a kill on him etc. As any other jungle tank, they're weak early, and you can set them behind with early invades. If you leave him alone to power farm to lvl6, he will come to a lane and make **** happen.

Drace Sylvanian

02-15-2013

He is overpowered because the other team doesn't have an AD carry when you play Malphite. Doesn't matter if AP hurts you. If they are hurting you, the AP carry (the only remaining carry on their team) isn't killing your AD or AP. He also has a pretty strong initiation tool and has pretty good ganks. Also there really aren't any champions that go top that can beat him. He also deals good AoE damage.

Tl;DR - Removes enemy AD carry. Allows allied AD carry to kill everything. Strong initiation, strong ganks. Nigh unbeatable top. Good AoE damage. Tanky as balls. If you are dying to AP, good, they aren't hurting your team instead.